• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Corsola called for Help!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • SOS Battles were a big foundation of the Alola region. After the first trial is completed, wild Pokemon can call for allies to help them out in battle. However, in some situations, a Pokemon can call its predator instead of another member of its species... like Corsola, for example. Corsola will sometimes summon Mareanie when calling for help. Mareanie will hurt Corsola when summoned as well. In some cases, SOS battles are the only way to encounter certain Pokemon at all. Like Mareanie I mentioned above, and some very rare Pokemon that are fully evolved. They could possibly be underleveled as well, such as a Salemence encounter through Bagon calling for help. Another example is the possibility of Munchlax calling for Snorlax, and Eevee being able to call help for Espeon and Umbreon. However, not all Pokemon will call for help. Pokemon like Chansey, and Wimpod, for example, do not call for help in battle.

sos battling can also be chained, and I hear it is a good shiny hunting method in the Alola games. You can make Pokemon want to call for help more by using an Adrenaline Orb.

Obviously, in island trials, totem Pokemon will always call for help, no matter what. For example, totem Wishiwashi will summon an Alomamola, and it will try to heal Wishiwashi.

What did you think of SOS battles in Pokemon? Would you like to see something like this return in the future?

Last edited:

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Reviving this lol. I love the idea and concept as well as execution, but man the chances can be out of control! Soooo I completed the pokedex and got Shiny Mareep 15-20 chain or less....and was blown away with happiness.

Then went for Trapinch and Dratini...each on 2 separate occasions with no shiny for idk how long, eventually just stopping, and Trapinch all being level 33 at least didn't help his case much since they evolve so soon after lol.

Dratini is NOT easy being it's either 10 percent or 1 percent find rate, and they just went on forever and I somehow I let the first one struggle on me and no shiny, second I just stopped lol.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I thought it was a neat feature personally. A tad annoying, yes, but neat eitherway. It kind a reminded me of some Earthbound battles where enemies would call for help, and I'm a sucker for anything Earthbound lmao.

Years
  • I thought it was definitely a unique feature for sure... I honestly have to say I'd be happy to see it return, if only because it made shiny hunting more varied. I however, wasn't a fan of the whole predator aspect of it, as I'd noticed this as well while playing. I guess it just depends on how they'd re-implement it on whether or not I'd want it to return truthfully.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • It was a unique method of getting a shiny (I've gotten several shinies this way) but it gets annoying when you don't want to find a shiny and they keep calling for help. (I know they fixed this in UsUm but I never played those)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • like it was cool at first but it quickly got annoying bc it just dragged the battle on typically so like. meh. i never really used them for chaining or anything anyway so shrug.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    It was a neat gimic but chaining for Pokemon that can only be found via SOS can be a pain. I was lucky when hunting a sableye

Years
  • SOS changing can be annoying at times, but a shiny hunter i've always found them quite useful! i think it adds a tad bit of "realism" of some sorts in pokemon where it'd actually feel natural for them to call upon other pokemon to help when they reach low health, so i appreciated that much.

unfortunately, it does backfire somewhat if you're looking to catch a specific pokemon and you knock it down to low health and then it calls another pokemon x.x and you have to knock that one out first before you do any catching. been in that position quite a few times...

Years
  • They could be fun when hunting for something specific, but also extremely annoying when not imo
    Like when I just wanted to catch a random mon to add to the Pokedex back in Moon/Ultra Sun and it would call for help and get it. And then I'd have to faint the help mon usually. Toss a ball, watch it break out and call for help again. And the cycle could repeat for quite some times and get very, very annoying 😤

Years
  • I really didn't like them when I just wanted to catch the Pokémon for a dex entry, since for some silly reason you can only catch anything when there is only one enemy in battle. like ugh. When SOS chaining for shinies? Yes sure, keep at it!! But please stop calling for help when I just want to catch you and go along with my day lol

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • SOS battles were unique, new and challenging. essentially double battles for your opponent - while you're locked to one mon. it enables Totems to come up with strategies which put you at a big disadvantage, not even taking into account you can be attacked twice per turn. shiny hunting via SOS is fun too because it forces you to focus and count opponent's PP too.

Back