• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen A starter from Kanto, Kalos or Hoenn?

Years
  • Pokemon X and Y gave us 3 cool Kalos starters to pick from, 3 classic starters from Kanto updated with megas and even an event Torchic. Did you use your Kanto, Kalos or Hoenn starter for most of your XY journey? Or perhaps you found a way to fit all 3 on your team?

Last edited:

Alexander18

Banned
    Years
    • NZ
    • Seen Dec 29, 2017
    Torchic doesn't count since it was an event before ORAS and is now available to choose in ORAS.

I used mostly my Kalos starter.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • By the end of the game, I had Greninja, Venusaur and Blaziken, and they formed a large backbone of my team.

Years
  • I didn't get Torchic, because I played Y for the first time after the event ended. But During that first playthrough I used both Greninja and Charizard for whole game.

Years
  • I did use all three, in my case Greninja and Swampert (my main starters), as well as Charizard to see how Mega Charizard X would work in an in-game run. Shame Alain in the anime may have completely changed my initial opinion on this Mega since he was too overpowered for Ash to beat.

Lemonski

Is already coming for your pizza
    Years
  • At the start I kept on using my Greninja a lot since it was a bit overleveled compared to my other pokemon so it was able to save me from difficult battle situations. At some point I also got really fond of battling with Charizard since I hadn't used fire types yet!

Years
  • I also played Y after the torchic event was over, but think its a glorious Pokemon and know anyone when used him in X and Y had fun.

I went with the Charizard Greninja combo, they worked surprisingly well together, looking out for eachothers weaknesses. Greninja was amazing against team flare and amazing against the Elite Four. Charizard was pretty good against the gym leaders, great against the rivals and really good against the elite four, from countering Chesnaught to melting down Aegislash.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
    Years
  • I got X on release day, so Torchic was available. Needless to say, I snatched my favourite Hoenn starter right up. I also heavily used Rozenn my Chesnaught and Pluie my Blastoise, which made for a glorious power trio. Blaze was the heavy-hitter, Roze was the tank, and Pluie was a good balance of both.

Also, I gotta say, Chesnaught is underrated as heck...

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I mostly only used my Kalos starter, Fennekin. The first time I played I also picked Charmander because I had made an alliance with friends to pick different starters to breed them and trade to each other quickly. I ended up with both Fire Types, but Fennekin was my first choice so I rolled with it. In the current run I'm doing however, I'm also using Venusaur. It's Mega Evolution is pretty cool, and there's a slight Dialogue change with the Mega Evolution Guru while having Venusaur in your team, so that was nice.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I used both Fennekin and Charmander. The game wasnt hard, so the double fire types wasnt that bad.

Looking back, I wish I had chosen Froakie and Charmander because I did not like Delphox.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I guess that Gren+Zard was a common thing to do going by this thread.....and it's what I did too. Got the event Torchic too, but I didn't use it since two starters felt like enough to me and didn't want to use two Fire types. Don't really remember what I did with it tho.

In the current run I'm doing however, I'm also using Venusaur. It's Mega Evolution is pretty cool, and there's a slight Dialogue change with the Mega Evolution Guru while having Venusaur in your team, so that was nice.
    What is the dialogue change?

not that I really even remember the conversation in general lol, but I was not aware that there was any difference at all depending on what Kanto starter you picked

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    What is the dialogue change?

not that I really even remember the conversation in general lol, but I was not aware that there was any difference at all depending on what Kanto starter you picked

He just mentions you have a Venusaur/other starters with you, and that its good because it can mega evolve. I just found it interesting they added a script for that ^-^;

Reactions: Nah
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I only used the Kalos starter in X. (Fennekin) I'm not really keen on using two starters (or three...) in the one team....and I had other Pokemon I was more interested in trying out anyway.

Vini310

Just a Player
    Years
  • In my both Pok?mon X and Y playthroughs, I used the three starters, and to this day they are permanent members of my team (minus my Blaziken in Pok?mon X).

FlakyGuy

A super flaky person~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I found myself using the kanto starter more because of my affection towards Squirtle. But Chespin was great too :D

qiekenao8668

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2017
    Torchic doesn't count since it was an event before ORAS and is now available to choose in ORAS.

I used mostly my Kalos starter.

Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2019
    used greninja and venasaur until the end game but never got the torchic event since i got to play XY too late

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2019
    I actually used most of the Pok?mon given to you as you progress through the game. I just feel bad when a Pok?mon asks to come along with me, and I just transfer it straight to a box haha.

By the end of Y I was travelling with Delphox (A fire-fox-witch suited the magical feel of the game (in terms of colour and design, music and sound effects) perfectly), Venusaur (because Bulbasaur is my favourite Gen 1 starter), the Snorlax you wake up on Route 6/7, the Lucario that befriends you, Swanna (mainly for HM moves - and I found Surf and Fly really useful in battle too), and then I think my sixth slot was just used to evolve other Pok?mon.

I didn't realise you could get a Lapras from an NPC until after I had finished the game (much to my dismay, because it looks so cool riding on its back while using surf).

I bonded with Delphox and Lucario so much that they are in my party in Moon at the moment.

Back