• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Getting into 7th Gen

Years
  • Hello,

I have yet to pick up any 7th generation games due to various reasons. I am just wanting some recommendations whether I should start with Sun or Moon, or go straight into Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

Cheers.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
    Years
  • Go straight to USUM. In comparison to those titles, SM seem incomplete and lacking. USUM are the definitive Gen VII titles and you should really play them to get the proper experience of Alola.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • USUM are essentially the enhanced third versions of Sun and Moon, they contain near enough the same content but with extra added on including a lengthier postgame plot. There are a few changes here and there but nothing too major. Both are great games, but I agree with HeroLinik in that you should just go straight for USUM. They're not necessarily like the sequel versions Black 2 & White 2 were to Black & White so it's not like you'd really be missing out on much if you skipped Sun & Moon.

Years
  • Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon. Buying Sun or Moon when USUM is available is like buying original Skyrim when you can get Skyrim Legendary Edition for the same price.

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • Start with Ultra Sun/Moon. It's basically an upgraded Sun/Moon with additional content and changes to the story. There is also more time sensitive content being released for it along with events since this is the latest game out.

dannymusic

The Smiling Trombonist
    Years
  • Agreed, the Ultra games are fine to start with. The few additional features that they added are pretty neat, and the story is still self-contained.

Years
  • As Blue and HeroLinik said, it's best just going straight to US/UM because unlike B2/W2, US/UM are just a typical third version-type game similar to Crystal, Emerald, Yellow and Platinum with not much changes aside from new features.

Playing both S/M and US/UM wouldn't be a good strategy, since it will leave a disappointed feeling on you due to the stories mostly being all samey.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Stick with the Ultra versions, even if some flaws from the initial Sun/Moon games are still present.

There are 4 new Ultra Beasts and 1 new Mythical, although Mythicals aren't generally available immediately anyways.

USUM has Move Tutors for moves like Ice Punch, Gunk Shot, Liquidation, and Defog, which was improved substantially last generation.

Some of the Totems are much tougher this time around. Guzma is noticeably harder in some situations, since he no longer uses Ariados.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like most others in this thread, I'm going to say USUM.

SM are great games to start with if you do, but because USUM are essentially the third games to the generation, you're likely going to have a much more fulflling time playing USUM as your first game than SM.

Back