• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Team Rainbow Rocket

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Team Rainbow Rocket was an evil team in the US/UM post game composing of former evil team leaders, and Team Rocket grunts. The team is lead by Giovanni. You can only battle them during the Rainbow Rocket episode.

What did you think of Team Rainbow Rocket? I love their uniform, but they're... not really that special, imo. It's cool Giovanni got all the evil team leaders from various regions together, though, and I loved seeing Cyrus in 3D.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2021
    I think Rainbow Rocket was some big-time nostalgia bait. They were OK as a villainous team.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    so my uncle who totally works at nintendo tells me that originally the rainbow rocket episode was supposed to be a LGBTQ rights story

The original story went something like this he tells me:

As we all know, after his defeat at the hands of Red in the Gen 1 games, Giovanni goes somewhere far away to train, so that he can try to take over Kanto again. A few years later, he's beaten by another child just as he's about to come out of hiding and take command of Team Rocket again. After this second crushing defeat, he sinks into a depression and spends a long time thinking about life. One day, it suddenly comes to him--that he's gay, and his true calling in life isn't to take over the world mafia style, but to completely end discrimination against LGBTQ people once and for all. Re-invigorated by his newfound purpose, he first sets off to capture Mewtwo, the strongest Pokemon in the region. Given that everything is decided via Pokemon battles in the Pokemon world, he knows he needs Mewtwo's help. Mewtwo fortunately agrees to help him, and together they end LGBTQ discrimination in the world.

However, Giovanni feels as though his mission isn't complete yet, and he soon learns why: there are other worlds besides his own, and they are still struggling with homophobia and transphobia too. So he and Mewtwo depart to these other worlds to do what they did for Giovanni's world. Along the way, they meet other people who called themselves team leaders--Maxie, Archie, Cyrus, Ghetsis, and Lysandre. Giovanni convinces them to abandon their original plans and join him in his cause, also getting each of them to stop rejecting who they really are...gay men. With his new friends, Giovanni and co. liberate each of their worlds from oppression and form the organization know as Team Rainbow Rocket.

The new team then sets its sights on the next world, the one US/UM takes places in. They quickly swoop in and take over the Aether Foundation, feeling that it's necessary in order to help this particular world. The player is tricked into fighting them by Faba, who paints Team Rainbow Rocket as your standard villain team. Unbeknownst to the player, Faba is actually the biggest homophobe in Alola. After defeating each of the other leaders, the player confronts Giovanni, believing that they are about to save the world from this new villain team. Giovanni then reveals the truth to the player, who then apologizes for fighting against TRR and agrees to help them take down Faba and his minions. The finale is a double battle of the player and Giovanni vs Faba and some other guy who looks a lot like US Vice President Mike Pence. When the dust settles after this climactic battle, the player joins Team Rainbow Rocket as its newest major member, and work begins to end LGBTQ discrimination in this world.

my uncle who totally works at nintendo tells me that reasons given for why this isn't what we got in the official release of US/UM were things like "it's too soon", "the world's not ready", and "the kids wouldn't get it". But if I was my uncle who totally works for nintendo, I'd have been like "fuck that, the time is now!". 'tis a shame we didn't get this version of the Rainbow Rocket episode really.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay, just making sure, is this a copypasta?

i'd like it if it were actually planned to be like this for rainbow rocket, of course, but
    it's not a copypasta

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I did like the concept; like all the villains unite for some sort of cause, though I kind of felt there couuuld of been more potential? But I did like the battles overall!

Years
  • Yeah they were a really cool concept for an evil team, having all the previous evil team leaders uniting for a common goal was an ambitious and exciting prospect! It was kind of a nostalgia bait and pandering to the older fans who have been around to experience all these bosses, but realistically, it does make sense! Uniting all the most ambitious and intelligent evil team leaders together is probably the best way for them to take over, plus seeing Giovanni making a return after all these years was kinda sweet.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I thought it was pretty lame. First off the name Rainbow Rocket made me lol. Then the way it was handled was boring. You battle them one by one to proceed, nothing that interesting comes to light, and then in the end... surprise surprise Giovanni is behind it all. Felt mainly like a chore than anything engaging.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • i actually love them (obviously)
    the gameplay of going through that area wasn't that interesting but as a concept & design theyre super cool and goofy

Back