• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Conned into used copy - Should I care?

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    I just bought a copy of Omega Ruby that was labeled "new" from an online retailer, but when I popped it in I was greeted with a full, completed save file. I've tried searching around to find out if there's any redeemable content that may have been claimed before this came into my possession, but I couldn't find anything one way or the other. Is there anything I might miss by having this less-than-new "new" copy? Also, should there have been any kind of paper insert or manual with game clamshell?

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • If i were you I would call the place you bought it from or contact them by an other way. You payed full price for a "new" game and you got a used one. Instead of taking a risk of asking for a new copy I would ask for a refund and buy it from a more trustworthy place.

Also the things you get from a new copy is the following(at least what I got):
    - Small guide for club nintendo with a pin number that is sealed and you have to scratch off. Btw I don't know if club Nintendo is a thing anymore because I think it changed.
    - Smal software guide that tells you how to get to the digital manuel that is on your game and inludes some pictures of other games..
    - And the standerd age rating, software warranty and contact information guide.

Hope you get this resolved.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I just bought a copy of Omega Ruby that was labeled "new" from an online retailer, but when I popped it in I was greeted with a full, completed save file. I've tried searching around to find out if there's any redeemable content that may have been claimed before this came into my possession, but I couldn't find anything one way or the other. Is there anything I might miss by having this less-than-new "new" copy? Also, should there have been any kind of paper insert or manual with game clamshell?

Oh no, that really stinks :c I'd definitely see about getting a refund, if you can. No reason you should have to pay the price for what you thought was a new game only to get a used one. It's at least worth a try.

In terms of event Pokemon, I don't believe you're not missing out on anything, as long as you start a new save file (hit Up+B+X at the title screen to delete the existing one).

The games don't come with instruction manuals packaged in the box, but like KillerTyphlosion already said, it should have come with instructions on how to access it from the cartridge.

Good luck :(

Years
  • I have to say, that's terrible to hear something like this. No-one deserves to get ripped off like this, especially with a Pokemon game you were so used to playing.

Years
  • You won't miss anything by having a used copy (you might even gain from it if there are some good pokémon on the current save file). I would complain anyway because obviously you didn't receive what was advertised. Depending on the retailer you might get no acknowledgement, but more likely you will get an option to return the copy you were given and receive a new one, or you might have the option to keep your used copy and receive a small store credit (expect $2-5 depending on how generous they are). People in the stockroom can make genuine mistakes so don't necessarily write the company off unless they refuse to help after you complain.

Basically you can't lose by complaining even though the used copy isn't a disaster.

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • The last time I heard or seen anything about this is back in the 90s when I got my Copy of Red. Full Dex with Lvl 100 Charizard. But, yea, just delete the saved data on there and restart it. If by the off chance it has events on the saved data I recommend PokeBank of trading to someone who can hold them

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you all for the responses and feedback; it was very helpful in answering my questions. As for some of your questions and comments:
    1) My wording was a little inaccurate. I certainly do care about being deceived into paying extra for a condition that I did not receive. A better phrasing would probably be, "How much should I care?"
    2) I was deliberately vague about the merchant's details because I'm new here and didn't know how strict the board rules are for public shaming. If it's okay for me to do so, I'll happily provide something more specific.
    3) The file had quite a few high level pokemon, but I'm the type that prefers building my menagerie up myself.

One more question, since I appear to have something of an audience: I already own Diamond; is the only in-game way to transfer my pokemon from this to Omega Ruby by using a copy of a fifth generation game? I did a little googling, but that's all I've found.

Thank you all again!

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Yes the only way to transfer is having a 5th gen game sadly. Used copy's of pokémon black and white do go for cheap(if you still can find one). At the release time of pokemon bank I bought pokemon black for only 10 Euro's. But it might be a but harder to find one. Also transferring pokémon from gen 4 to gen 5 is a real pain so you might just want to buy Pokémon x or y if you want to get all pokémon or wait until we get the third version(s?).

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I was deliberately vague about the merchant's details because I'm new here and didn't know how strict the board rules are for public shaming. If it's okay for me to do so, I'll happily provide something more specific.
    You can freely tell the merchant's details, warning the others about a bad merchant isn't public shaming.

Years
  • Yes the only way to transfer is having a 5th gen game sadly. Used copy's of pokémon black and white do go for cheap(if you still can find one). At the release time of pokemon bank I bought pokemon black for only 10 Euro's. But it might be a but harder to find one. Also transferring pokémon from gen 4 to gen 5 is a real pain so you might just want to buy Pokémon x or y if you want to get all pokémon or wait until we get the third version(s?).

Just in case if you're wondering, what he means here is that having all the main 6th Gen games allows you to potentially fill the whole Pokedex by trading literally all the Pokemon excluding event legendaries.

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Thank you KillerTyphlosion and Hikamaru for the trading advice. I'll do a little more digging and decide which way I wanna go with it.

Back to the original topic, the seller was a storefront on Amazon that goes by the name of OnlineAmazingDeals. Before anyone tosses them on a blacklist or something, I've got a pretty good update to report: after leaving some very negative (but very honest) feedback about the purchase, they contacted me and offered a full refund without return of the game. They claim to be themselves the victims of a shady source for some of their games, resulting in some of their "new" games being not so new. Whether or not that's actually true, I have no idea, but with a free game, I can't really complain too much (and yes, I did wait to write this update until after the refund actually posted to my account).

Back