• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Monster Hunter Rise and Stories 2

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
Years
  • The Mini-Direct today revealed two new Monster Hunter titles exclusively for the Nintendo Switch.

Spoiler:

I'm really excited for Rise considering that I enjoyed GU a whole lot, and didn' like the direction of World (I found Iceborne pretty okay),
    and I wanted a followup to Stories since the first one on 3DS, I was bummed out when they released the underwhelming entry on mobile and thought that would be the end, so the news for Stories 2 is definitely a welcome one as well.

I believe there are some new weapons introduced, I'm willing to try them out, on top of my Insect Glaive and Hunting Horn usage.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I can't wait to try these game out. I know the only Monster Hunter game I've played was Monster HUnter 4 with a friend of mine.

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
    Years
  • I can't wait to try these game out. I know the only Monster Hunter game I've played was Monster HUnter 4 with a friend of mine.

I started properly at Freedom Unite myself, but 4 remains my favourite due to the staggering amount of content in it. Plus it introduced the IG, which is now my main weapon of choice.

Years
  • Okay, now I'm back to considering buying Switch. It looks like Rise will introduce some new stuff like the rideable dogs/foxes(?) and it looks like it will once again have bigger focus on a story. Nothing I wouldn't like.

Stories were nice spin-off and I'm glad they decided to continue with it.

Game Freak, take notes, please.

Last edited:

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
    Years
  • Okay, now I'm back to considering buying Switch. It looks like Rise will introduce some new stuff like the rideable dogs/foxes(?) and it looks like it will once again have bigger focus on a story. Nothing I wouldn't like.

Stories were nice spin-off and I'm glad they decided to continue with it.

Game Freak, take notes, please.

The game appears to be very Yokai-themed, which I like the style of, they look like they're taking huge inspirations from Portable 3rd as well. I'm very interested to see the new monster designs.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Very keen on MH Rise. The movement options here look fantastic, and it seems to borrow some neat aspects of World (which I haven't played). Looking forward to when it comes out!

Only played the demo of the first MH Stories but maybe I should try that out more...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm glad to see MHR adopted some of the movements from MHW too. With any luck they'll get rid of the clunky and unnecessary loading screens between areas too!

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
    Years
  • I'm glad to see MHR adopted some of the movements from MHW too. With any luck they'll get rid of the clunky and unnecessary loading screens between areas too!

I'm not sure if the Switch will be able to handle the hunting areas not split up without compromise to framerate or graphical quality.
    Split areas is a mixed bag to me, on one hand it's annoying when monsters hang out near the zone exits, or when they attack you through one (which me and my friends dub "banishing"), but on the other hand it lets me be a massive coward and retreat into another area to heal/sharpen when things get hairy.

pkmin3033

Well, Stories 2 is great news - occasionally awkward rock-paper-scissors system aside I really enjoyed the time I put into it! I love the visuals, I found the narrative entertaining enough to make up for the lack of originality, and the entire package was put together with what was clearly a lot of love and appreciation for the franchise. Count me in for a sequel!

Rise...idk. I was hoping for a more traditional experience and I'm worried that the visuals are going to come at the expense of the gameplay, as was the case with World. I don't want a stripped-down roster again. I also don't want World's "QoL" features infecting Rise - tracking, for instance. Or unskippable cutscenes with a bad narrative. Or rare endemic life with achievements for catching them. Or massive sprawling environments you spend more time running around in than fighting monsters because you have to locate the monster first and then chase after it when it runs away repeatedly for no good reason. Yeah, I have a lot of issues with World. It looks interesting, but it looks more like World than Generations, and I was hoping for a proper MH title so I'm...a little concerned, at the moment. The Switch does not need Monster Hunter World Lite.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm not sure if the Switch will be able to handle the hunting areas not split up without compromise to framerate or graphical quality.
    Split areas is a mixed bag to me, on one hand it's annoying when monsters hang out near the zone exits, or when they attack you through one (which me and my friends dub "banishing"), but on the other hand it lets me be a massive coward and retreat into another area to heal/sharpen when things get hairy.

It most likely won't, but a girl can dream!

One thing I am happy about that has been haunting me with each new MH release is the inclusion of health bars for monsters, so I'm relieved to see that won't be happening.

Back