• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weather

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • With Pelliper gaining Drizzle, Ninetales gaining Snow Warning, and Torkoal gaining Drought this generation, how large of an effect will this have on the metagame?

Have you used teams centered around weather? How have they panned out? Do you find teams that use weather are easier or more difficult to defeat?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Torkoal has had a pretty big effect with Drought, especially when paired with something with Follow Me since that allows it to fire off Drought boosted Eruptions. I haven't seen anyone use Pelliper as of yet. Weather has always been one of those things that if you can control, and out weather your opponent, you will have a high chance of winning the match.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Torkoal's good with either Trick Room/Instruct Oranguru or After You Chlorophyll Lilligant

I'm undecided if I like Grassium-Z Solar Beam or Firium-Z Eruption more on it.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Torkoal's good with either Trick Room/Instruct Oranguru or After You Chlorophyll Lilligant

I'm undecided if I like Grassium-Z Solar Beam or Firium-Z Eruption more on it.
    Huh... does Firium-Z Eruption's base power change with its health, or is it consistent?

I feel weather will certainly be a factor. I feel on paper Ninetales may have the edge with Aurora Veil with usage but i haven't played any VGC so I can't base that on experience. I don't think there would be that main teams based on weather - off the top of my head there aren't that many Swift Swimmers and not many to take advantage of the hail either in VGC this year. =/

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Huh... does Firium-Z Eruption's base power change with its health, or is it consistent?

I feel weather will certainly be a factor. I feel on paper Ninetales may have the edge with Aurora Veil with usage but i haven't played any VGC so I can't base that on experience. I don't think there would be that main teams based on weather - off the top of my head there aren't that many Swift Swimmers and not many to take advantage of the hail either in VGC this year. =/

It's consistent, enjoy that 300 Base Power (after STAB) Inferno Overdrive in the sun :D

I don't see Hail being that prevalent, since Ninetales is so fast. Half the battle of weather wars is being slower than the opposing weather setter so it's your weather that overrides theirs.

Rain isn't that great, outside of Golduck (lol) and Thunder soam (and that's more Tapu Koko leading the charge, not Pelipper being amazing).

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Thunder + Rain is pretty powerful. I used it myself, but I decided to go for a more defensive option.

Personally, Ive used Pelipper and Ive seen a few Pelipper, but in my opinion, Politoad does Pelipper's job better (unless you absolutely need Hurricane). Politoad is more defensive, has better special attack, and isn't as weak to electric or rock types.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Thunder + Rain is pretty powerful. I used it myself, but I decided to go for a more defensive option.

Personally, Ive used Pelipper and Ive seen a few Pelipper, but in my opinion, Politoad does Pelipper's job better (unless you absolutely need Hurricane). Politoad is more defensive, has better special attack, and isn't as weak to electric or rock types.

Minor correction, but Pelipper gained 10 more Special Attack in the generation shift, meaning it's now stronger than Politoed by a slight margin.

Also, Pelipper is more suited for offensive teams by providing Tailwind; Politoed is better in defensive teams because of its lesser weaknesses and access to support/disruptive moves like Encore.

Back