• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some trivia from Yuyama regarding the anime and M20

Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2019
    tumblr_oth6vx3vBQ1uep5pko1_1280.jpg

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170721-00000373-oric-ent

1: Movie 20 is a parallel world that is split from the OS episode one, in a 'what if the story took a completely different route because of the Ho-Oh feather'…

2: As Yuyama mentioned in the OHAOHA ANIKI show, Pikachu was chosen instead of the other three starters for the sake of the kids who were playing the RGB games (for instance, if Bulbasaur were the main star, what about the young children who picked up Squirtle?). It's cute, Thunderbolt looks strong, plus it's a bit more remarkable than the other ideas the game developers had suggested to him ("what about the monsters you can find in the beginning of your journey?" - Pidgey/Ratatta).

3: There are twenty times more Spearow included to the movie than in the original OS episode: they were 50 but now 1000.

4: Yuyama says that Movie20!Ash is more fashionable than OS Ash - his clothes are different and influenced by the design created by Sugimori: OS Ash has a different hat logo, larger jacket collar, thicker pants and his shirt is tucked in.

5: Although it is a parallel world, the trainers from the opening scene are indeed the trainers we see from Mewtwo's first movie.

6: Yuyama says that Shoko Nakagawa was responsible for being the symbol of 20 years of Pokemon series with the role of Nurse Joy. Like kids admiring their school teacher, you could say that's the kind of relationship kids in the series have with Nurse Joy. Shokotan grew up playing the first gen of the game and that's why she represent Pokemon's 20th anniversary by voice acting a "older sister" kind of role on this movie.

7: Ash doesn't age. Quoting what Yuyama said, "time has not passed since the start of the journey. Ash is eternally 10 years old".

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    tumblr_oth6vx3vBQ1uep5pko1_1280.jpg

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170721-00000373-oric-ent

1: Movie 20 is a parallel world that is split from the OS episode one, in a 'what if the story took a completely different route because of the Ho-Oh feather'…

2: As Yuyama mentioned in the OHAOHA ANIKI show, Pikachu was chosen instead of the other three starters for the sake of the kids who were playing the RGB games (for instance, if Bulbasaur were the main star, what about the young children who picked up Squirtle?). It's cute, Thunderbolt looks strong, plus it's a bit more remarkable than the other ideas the game developers had suggested to him ("what about the monsters you can find in the beginning of your journey?" - Pidgey/Ratatta).

3: There are twenty times more Spearow included to the movie than in the original OS episode: they were 50 but now 1000.

4: Yuyama says that Movie20!Ash is more fashionable than OS Ash - his clothes are different and influenced by the design created by Sugimori: OS Ash has a different hat logo, larger jacket collar, thicker pants and his shirt is tucked in.

5: Although it is a parallel world, the trainers from the opening scene are indeed the trainers we see from Mewtwo's first movie.

6: Yuyama says that Shoko Nakagawa was responsible for being the symbol of 20 years of Pokemon series with the role of Nurse Joy. Like kids admiring their school teacher, you could say that's the kind of relationship kids in the series have with Nurse Joy. Shokotan grew up playing the first gen of the game and that's why she represent Pokemon's 20th anniversary by voice acting a "older sister" kind of role on this movie.

7: Ash doesn't age. Quoting what Yuyama said, "time has not passed since the start of the journey. Ash is eternally 10 years old".

Did he say anything about SM in that regard? Don't forget some of the manga tie-ins specifically had SM in mind (the Remix manga, for example, had Ash flashing back to the events of this movie after winning the final trial on Ponee Island). Heck, did he even comment on the tie-in manga stories at all, then (Marshadow was characterized quite differently in its tie-in manga than in the movie, for example)?

Also, so far as time not passing, correct me if I'm mistaken but didn't Best Wishes imply at one point that time HAD in fact passed when Cilan and Iris left via the Bullet Train (when last we heard of it, it was said to be operating the following Tuesday of next year)? Not to mention their explicitly mentioning Misty's sisters being on a three-month cruise and their now being back by this point? Also, I find it hard to believe that time does not pass in the anime at all considering a whole lot of episodes pretty obviously show day and night transitions, which DOES in fact imply that time has indeed passed.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • LOL, Ash is eternally ten years old...

Dialga probably F'd up the Pokemon worlds time stream when Ash became ten years old...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Yeah... Ash eternally being 10 years old isn't going to fly when I believe at one point they mentioned him being 11 or even 12 at some point in the anime. Its like they don't even know they're contradicting themselves which means they're either incompetent or a sign they need to drop this eternally 10 crap and age him for once. What is the harm that he ages to be 14? You think his mindset is going to change from raising and battling Pokemon to suddenly noticing all the attractive girls that seem to have the hot's for him? The guy is about as dense as a lead pipe and as clueless about love as Jeremy is in Code Lyoko.

CidHazard

Years
  • To be fair all of the times he's mentioned as being older than ten where in the dub. There's never been a moment in the original dub of the show where they mention he got older.

He's become a character like Shin-can, Nobita or Conan. All of whom should be adults by now, but are still not :D

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • To be fair all of the times he's mentioned as being older than ten where in the dub. There's never been a moment in the original dub of the show where they mention he got older.

He's become a character like Shin-can, Nobita or Conan. All of whom should be adults by now, but are still not :D

Actually, both the dub and Japanese version of the 3rd Pikachu movie short at least implied that he had turned eleven since in said short he was celebrating the anniversary of the day he met Pikachu, which would mean that a year had passed and Ash naturally should've aged by a year as well (he was ten when he met Pikachu).

Then again, that short might not even be considered canon anymore since it got banned in Japan a while back.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Actually, both the dub and Japanese version of the 3rd Pikachu movie short at least implied that he had turned eleven since in said short he was celebrating the anniversary of the day he met Pikachu, which would mean that a year had passed and Ash naturally should've aged by a year as well (he was ten when he met Pikachu).

Then again, that short might not even be considered canon anymore since it got banned in Japan a while back.

We know that at least one year had passed in Best Wishes since Johto, though. Iris and Cilan went on the Bullet Train to Goldenrod City in the penultimate episode of that series. The last we heard of the Bullet Train, back in Johto, it wasn't even due to be in operation until the Tuesday of the following week of the year after that episode, and I'm pretty sure that was in the Japanese version.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    "Time passes" but time doesnt pass in regards to becoming older. Pokemon is not the only anime that does this waves hand at detectuve conan. I dont see why this is always an issue every time this topic is brought up.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Time passes but the characters don't age.

Like One Piece, Detective Conan or any other long running anime.

Why Pokémon gets lambasted for this IDK.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Spoiler:

At least my previous statement about Ash's journey spanning within one year was right in the money.

Why was it banned?

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Spoiler:

At least my previous statement about Ash's journey spanning within one year was right in the money.

Why was it banned?

Sakai Noriko, the narrator, was found guilty of drugs possession.

It's not like Pokémon want to be associated with criminal behaviour.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    "Time passes" but time doesnt pass in regards to becoming older. Pokemon is not the only anime that does this waves hand at detectuve conan. I dont see why this is always an issue every time this topic is brought up.

Time passes but the characters don't age.

Well, in my case, it's mostly because I've heard very little about Detective Conan, and as far as One Piece, I'm not sure whether that had any long-arch goals (which, you know, kind of REQUIRES time passing for it to even work). Wasn't that a series about pirates or something, and essentially like The Simpsons where there's a floating timeline and negative continuity?

Aside from that, probably the other reason it gets lambasted is because Pokémon's whole plotline, where Ash is striving to become the world's greatest Pokémon Master, practically requires time to pass and for Ash to actually gain some degree of lasting experience. Think along the lines of Dragon Ball, another anime that has a fairly similar goal with Goku trying to become the strongest fighter there is. That has aging. Same deal with Dead or Alive. Heck, for a non-anime/Japanese game example, look at the Rocky series for another example of this.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Chances are they'll timeskip to ash being a pokemon master whenever they end the show or something. Not a big deal and requires him to age.

In Detective Conan you have Conan trying to get an antidote so he can become himself again and be the greatest detective. You have Christmas, Valentines day, and hell even someones birthday and no one gives a damn about the time inconsistency. I fail to see why Pokemon, one that had any holiday specials bar the Christmas one which was a special , is any different.

Taste of Tea

Hoenn confirmed
    Years
  • Thinking back though, I'm not exactly sure why the "Ash is eternally ten" tidbit is even shocking? We got confirmation that he was still ten in XY, so this news doesn't really tell us anything new. Even the AU movie thing was something we figured out using common sense.

Years
  • I don't think I can stomach the confirmation that Ash will be 10 years old forever. The opening episode of Best Wishes kind of foreshadowed that it would be the case considering the narrator mentioning he was 10, so yeah sad to hear that Ash never aging has all but been confirmed as legit.

I do wonder if the encounter with Ho-Oh made Ash unable to age or something like that, though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I guess ill just never get what the big deal is :')

I've heard why, but i want to see the reason for myself when i was the movie re: ho-oh.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I don't think I can stomach the confirmation that Ash will be 10 years old forever. The opening episode of Best Wishes kind of foreshadowed that it would be the case considering the narrator mentioning he was 10, so yeah sad to hear that Ash never aging has all but been confirmed as legit.

I do wonder if the encounter with Ho-Oh made Ash unable to age or something like that, though.

Heck, forget Best Wishes, they hinted that Ash was still 10 years old as early as those AG Eye-catchers (and I remember them because a lot of people used those to indicate May's age and also mentioned that the eyecatchers mentioned Ash being 10).

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    They can't let Ash age for the same reason they can't let him win a League. They need to keep him and his yellow rat around as mascots forever and ever, and they can't do that if he grows up and succeeds in his goal.

With this show, marketing and advertising take precedence over storytelling. Always. :rolleyes2:

CidHazard

Years
  • Time passes but the characters don't age.

I feel most fans wanted Ash to age with them... for him to show growth, change and to mature. When he didn't everyone gave the Pokemon Anime crap for it... Those kids who watched him back in the 90's are on their early to mid 20's now, and they find it hard to connect/relate to a ten year old.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I agree CidHazard that Pokémon does present a unique case. It's a show where the characters are supposed to be growing and becoming stronger overtime, and Ash traveling into different regions means he should be aging. However, it's still a cartoon and in cartoons the characters in general do not age even as modern elements are incorporated overtime and other things change. And not everyone is like us CidHazard and still watching the show in our 20s, the bigger concern is having the characters be relatable to those in the actual target audience. The interview posted originally makes me think that the producers treat each series as Ash going from Kanto to the current region and ignoring the previous regions inbetween.

Back