• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

why are the simis so hated

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
ok I'm kind of spamming posts now, and I'm thinking about changing my name to Justin y. but I'm new here and have a lot to talk about.

ok, now to the point.

WHY ARE THE ELEMENTAL MONKEYS SO DISPISED???!!??!?!?!?!?

there cute. when I make a pokemon fangame I'm going to give them a lot of extra love and attention by adding Panzap Pangust and Panstone.

give me one good reason why I should change my mind on the monkeys and not make these three

Years
I mean, you do you. One of the reasons why Pokemon is so great is that there's usually a Pokemon out there that has its share of fans, no matter how underrated they seem to be. If you feel that you like the elemental monkeys enough to put them on a team, then do it! It's an in-game run after all, so who cares?

Years
I dislike them because they are uninteresting and underwhelming. There are also better Pokemon with same types in Unova. Oh yeah, I'm not very fond of derpmons either.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
ok, now to the point.

WHY ARE THE ELEMENTAL MONKEYS SO DISPISED???!!??!?!?!?!?

there cute. when I make a pokemon fangame I'm going to give them a lot of extra love and attention by adding Panzap Pangust and Panstone.

give me one good reason why I should change my mind on the monkeys and not make these three

I geuss their haters are Freeza fanboys, i generally don't mind them

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I don't know? From what I've heard, they're considered "uncreative", and I've heard some people hate the faces. I've also heard "wasted potential." I don't really dislike the Simis, so I never understood the major disdain.

Years
I'm really more or less under the impression they got looped in with the rest of the Gen 5 Pokemon dislike when that was a thing. I don't know if it actually has anything to do with them individually as Pokemon.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'd say the above is part of it - but also mostly repetitive designs to each other. They do have some individuality (hear/see/say no evil thing), but they don't... use that theme very much either. They function pretty similarly otherwise. You see the same movesets bar any type-specific moves - one doesn't learn particularly more eye-based attacks for example, because they all learn Leer! Missed opportunity for distinction.

Mix that in with the same 'three Pokemon looking kinda similar but with different typing' deal in Thundurus and friends (but double it because evolutions - so for a barely used concept they take up 6 dex spaces), and have them be one of the relatively few Pokemon you can get before the first Gym, and those qualms get amplified.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I found the designs to be uninspired and repetitive, but fundamentally there's really nothing wrong with 'em. They ride that line of just meh.

Years
I actually am quite fond of them, as I've used both Simipour and Simisear before! Although, I will admit that design-wise they are a bit lackluster especially in comparison to other generation 5 pokemon. Simisear is my favorite tho!

Last edited:
Years
i've heard some hate towards the simis but not all of them. just towards simipour. i think some people just think its a stupid design. you know, fueled by the "every-gen-5-pokemon-is-ridiculous-and-trash" bandwagon.

but simisear and simisage actually looks very nice. and i like their pseudo-starter sort of thing

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Mm yeah, I'm in the boat that thinks their design is boring, especially for their evolutions. They don't make me interested at all.

Other than that, they're probably decent enough actual pokemon to use :) design is a quite important part of the whole appeal of a pokemon, though.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
To be honest, I think only the Simisage line is good. The other two (Simisear and Simipour) look way too much like Simisage. Additionally, Simipour looks weird IMO, and Simisear wasn't even needed since we already have the Chimchar line. I wouldn't say no to a better looking Water monkey Pokemon, though.

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
how I'm thinking of it working is that there will be a place known as the forest of elements. you find normal wild encounters there but you have a 5% chance to encounter all the pseudo legendarys and the 6 elemental monkeys
you can also find a house with a girl who, when you enter greets you and then tells you she cares for all the monkeys. she also says that a lot of people hate her because while she is caring for the hated monkeys,
she could be caring for rare encounters like bagon, gible, deino, etc. and she asks you if you want to see them and if you say no she will say "ah I see, you're just like the rest." but if you say yes, she will ask you which of the following
types do you like best fire, water, grass, electric, flying, and rock. when you choose she will take you to the back and show you the six, and depending on what you chose, the one of the monkeys wil walk up to you and join your party. so you can easily get a certain type on your team if you want a balanced out team.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Simipour has been decent on my water mono on black so I like it a little more than I used to. Simisage's design is the best out of the three imo. Simisear .......... I don't have a reason to like it yet t b h. I like Pansage/Panpour/Pansear because of the Striaton Trio (ty anime) but the Simis have yet to grow on me I suppose.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Personally I think the main reason is that they actually have a pretty cool inspiration but just isn't well executed. Panpour, pansage, and pansear are supposed to be the monkeys of "see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil". The Simis are supposed to be essentially the "failed" versions of these vows, where the Pans turned into delinquents almost, hints Simisage's hair who is probably the best executed of the three. The problem with the Simis is that other than Simisage, you really can't tell that's what they're going for. They're solid mons and had great potential given their inspirations, but the execution could've been better.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
idk i mean they're okay. i think people might have more disdain for them bc you're practically forced into using one to get past the first gym. i mean you don't HAVE to but it does make it much easier. the designs are a little repetitive too. the first stages are cute imo, but the simis not so much. i did get good use out of my simipour back in the day, so there's that. can't say the same for the other two.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jul 9, 2022
Simisear is pretty good.

Yawn, Acrobatics, Crunch, Fire Blast so early. His move-set can handle many types. He is also fast. I used him a lot of catch Pokemon and beat Gyms.

I liked that monkey, but I never played with the others so cannot comment on them.

Back