• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: How to Improve On Competitive Battling in Five Steps

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Sooo, shorter article piece I'm proposing this time, as I'd like to help the newer/inexperienced members who play competitive battling or generally those who feel they need more assistance on it, by writing this short 5-step guide on how to improve in competitive battling in general (not limited to one single tier).

Anyone else is welcome to provide their own suggestions to improve on their competitive battling game play too! Sooo, yeah! How about it? o:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Fine with more competitive articles!

What are these fives steps/how will you write them up (as in to what level of detail)? I guess it should be accessible given it's partly aimed at newer battlers.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Fine with more competitive articles!

What are these fives steps/how will you write them up (as in to what level of detail)? I guess it should be accessible given it's partly aimed at newer battlers.

Hm, I was thinking of writing it with small 'headers' or sections like so:

1) Choose a play style!

(With or without numbering them) And write a small explanation! Like for instance, choosing a play style that fits you, and there's a lot: for example, you can have a full on offensive play style with your team, making aggressive plays to prevent your opponent on setting up their own strategy, or you can make a staff team and choose a more defensive play style, as you focus on taking each of your opponent's hits, setting up your own strategy in the process.

I'll go more detail on each 'strategy' as I go along, like, choosing a defensive play style can make use of Leech Seed, Toxic Spikes, etc.

Id say this step is the primary course on building your team! Which I'll go on more to that.

2) Arm yourself with knowledge!

Here, basically, I'll suggest people arm themselves with knowledge about the tier that they are playing at. Take a look at the general Pokémon threats and the most used Pokémon in that tier. Then, while building your team, think about how your team will deal with those threats, and other play styles, essentially planning in advance.

3) Have a good mindset

Be confident, but not too confident. Being too confident can lead to rash-decision making! Don't second guess yourself, or you'll lose your confidence, and also make many mistakes. Basically this step will teach someone the importance on having a good mindset in battle.

4) Practice, Practice, Practice!

Battle often against a different variety of players. The more players you battle against, the more experience you'll have! With that experience, you can also go back and make edits to your team to help perfect your game play, and to help you deal with other play styles as they come and go. Each time you lose, you should go back and review exactly why you've lost; perhaps your team couldn't deal with a threat properly, or what mistakes you've done during battle.

Essentially this is like a "there is no substitute for experience" step.

5) Try getting more involved with the competitive community! (or a tournament step?)

The competitive community is pretty vast; you'd need to expose yourself to different environments, for example, participate in many tournaments. Essentially participating in tournaments is the grand step on putting your practice to work because it's the gathering event for the most competitive players. Don't be afraid on getting yourself out there!

Well, you get the idea, right? Maybe I should link to some resources too, (ie smogon stuff?)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
ddrox approves :)

I'm a huge violator of rule 1 (I have been known to run multiple Choice users and Quagsire/Donphan/Goodra on the same team), so I'd love to read a good description of the different playstyles because I can't find one (not that I looked). I usually skip right to step 2, which I consider probably the most important out of the gate. Before you play competitive, you damn well better know what Stealth Rocks, Taunt, Magic Bounce, Unaware, and Gale Wings does and which pokemon use them. I might mention a few of the top threats in each tier in step 2 (i.e. Landorus, Talonflame, M-Sabelye, etc. for OU). I also violate step 3 about 100% of the time, no comment there.

My only comment besides those is that steps 1 and 2 each could be their own article, while the last 3 seem lacking in content by comparison.

Here are some suggestions for things to point out:
Getting too attached to one mon or set is bad. I'd love to run Froslass and Donphan on every team because I like how they work, but they just don't fit.
Don't be afraid to edit your team, but make sure you identify the exact cause of the problem before you go trying anything TOO crazy.
You can't beat everything, don't get mad and run 6 Talonflame counters when you get swept by the thing once (I am being such a hypocrite)
And Magikarp is the best mon ever needs 100% use rate in all tiers I r8 8/8 m8

Last edited:

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
Don't slap together teams in a couple of minutes and assume that they're going to be good because you put the bare minimum amount of thought into them. You will almost always end up inadvertently building a squad that gets 6-0ed by something you never thought of in those five minutes of deep, philosophical pondering.

Never, ever go it alone when learning a new metagame. Ask around. Chances are somebody will be willing to help you learn the basics, test a few teams, etc. By testing teams against good players, you'll be able to get a much better gauge as to how much more work your team needs than you would otherwise get by simply laddering all the time.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Use damage calcs, not only while building a team, but also during battles. Nothing worse than leaving something in because you think it can take a hit, when in reality it can't, which in return costs you a mon and potentially momentum/the victory.

Years
This seems a bit vague, and a few of these are going a bit far in the direction of 'Do the good thing,' in a certain generic area. As such, you might want to be a bit careful here. You'll probably be fine, though.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
This seems a bit vague, and a few of these are going a bit far in the direction of 'Do the good thing,' in a certain generic area. As such, you might want to be a bit careful here. You'll probably be fine, though.

I'm... not sure what you mean here if you wanna clarify for me. D:

The ultimate goal of this is to 'do good' and learn from your mistakes... is that a bad thing?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'm... not sure what you mean here if you wanna clarify for me. D:

The ultimate goal of this is to 'do good' and learn from your mistakes... is that a bad thing?
It's not that "do good and learn from your mistakes" is a bad thing, but rather that vague or extremely general advice is often not helpful.

"How do I get better at Smash" is a question often asked in that game's competitive scene. The common answers are usually some combination of "go to tournaments", "watch high-level play" and "lab stuff", and that's often literally all people say. But doing those things is not the slightest bit helpful if you don't know how to go about them. How do you get the most out of your tournament participation? What are things you should look for when watching high-level matches? How do you lab? How do you truly incorporate the things you "learn" from the above 3 things into your own gameplay? It's the same in Pokemon really.

Unless you planned to go into detail on the things you posted, then this post of mine doesn't mean anything lol.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Unless you planned to go into detail on the things you posted, then this post of mine doesn't mean anything lol.

Yeahhhh... this is just the proposal stage. xD

When/If this article gets Green-lit, any and all things to cover will be covered, in greater detail. I'll plan to have it so any more comments/suggestions you guys have, you can list them on there in the comments section, or the Daily thread too.

Reactions: Nah
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
A few things you could mention:

Watch good players battle, and regularly battle good players if you can. Try to understand how they achieve their goal in a battle (e.g. weakening a certain Pokemon for a sweep). Don't make unnecessary predictions like double switching unless you will actually benefit from it. Know when to play it safe and how to catch your opponent off guard. I have some articles on this in BTB's resource thread.

Learn how to decide what Pokemon of yours are useful vs the opponent's team, as well as what Pokemon of theirs are major threats to your team (make sure you don't give them opportunities to switch in). Know when to sacrifice a Pokemon, like if you need to switch in a Pokemon safely or scout for a suspected move. What's probably most important of all is making sure you have a goal to achieve in a battle (supporting your win condition), and have a plan b if something bad happens.

You could use some pointers from this guide. We should have a more in-depth article on prediction later.

Back