• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What tools / resources would you like to see?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
  • Well, I have a few ideas. Some of these aren't really tools or resources, but I think they still hold relevancy as things I'd like to see.

For beginners:
    I would like to see tutorials for beginners on essential topics such as scripting, hex editor use & general terms. I think these tutorials should either be abundant in pictures or in video format, wall of text\long tutorials are a no-go. I'd also like to see some sort of rule against "thread spamming" in the beginner's lounge and more encouragement to use the quick questions thread instead. I think some threshold of question difficulty needs to be there before a thread is allowed. People are asking really simple and google-able questions by making threads, it's pollution. Either impose a weekly thread creation limit or ban the behavior imo.

For me:
    I want a C help thread. Somewhere people can post their questions about C, similar to the ASM help thread. :D

General:
    1) I want the community hack back. Not the hack-off. The hack-off can stay dead :)
    2) I like Christos's gym puzzle contest. I like this smaller competition. Perhaps we can incorporate smaller competitions more often and have better incentives to do so by giving away emblems & maybe some small coverage on PC's youtube channel. I'd participate in something like a Titlescreen Making competition/map competition/"first one to find how X works" competition ect. It'd have to be different every week or however often you'd do it. No one wants to join the same competition every week. I think this is partly why the Map making competition never got popular. It's a lot of work to make a good map, and additionally there's no reward for winning the competition.

KeitaroHirochi

Inconsistent Hacker
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2022
    What I would really like right now is a tool to hack TM compatibilities for RBY.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I'd like updates for some of the major programs that include native support for expanded ROMs, and up to, say, 1000 pokemon. Having to manually hex edit every change, in a-starter, for example, is a pain.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    How about a Gen 3 tool (or tutorial, that would suffice I guess) to change the chance of a Pokemon being shiny WITHOUT changing the entire code telling the game when the Pokemon should be shiny. Like it's 8/65536 (0.0122%~)chance of being shiny. A simple change would to change the numerator. So, 16/65536 (0.0244%~) or 32/65536 (0.0488%~) or 512/65536 (0.78125%) or even 32768/65536 (50%). Instead of giving the ShinyCC program a % or fraction and it being totally wrong.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    A simple tool for titlescreens where you can just pick a pokemon, a background color, and text (Doesn't need to be in the fancy pokemon font even)That would save so much time!

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Going to bump this thread - I think we need a tool that can rip tiles.. You should be able to upload an image, and it would draw a requested grid size over the tiles before ripping each of them. It could also have an option to select a background block (For instance, if you had a wall tile and then a wall tile with a picture frame over it, you could select the plain wall tile and it would extract just the picture frame. There are some tile rippers I believe, but they're online and lack the background block feature I mentioned

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • I just thought of this and surprised I couldn't find anything on it. How about some apps for smart phones? I would love to edit scripts, maps, sprites, ect all from my phone. It doesn't sound to farfetch'd. I really feel it could help for the greater good. More people can actually have time to finish their hacks.

Yvtq8K3n

muhaha
    Years
  • I just thought of this and surprised I couldn't find anything on it. How about some apps for smart phones? I would love to edit scripts, maps, sprites, ect all from my phone. It doesn't sound to farfetch'd. I really feel it could help for the greater good. More people can actually have time to finish their hacks.

That seems an nice ideia, i realy would love to see that in the future.

Years
  • A better Pokemart editor for the GBA games would be nice.

Primarily one that can allow for more items than what a shop initially has. (Like for example making a shop that normally sells 4 items sell like 10 items)

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    A better Pokemart editor for the GBA games would be nice.

Primarily one that can allow for more items than what a shop initially has. (Like for example making a shop that normally sells 4 items sell like 10 items)
    I'm sure this can be done with scripting. :D

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    In general there's a glut of tools to let you do things, however trivial or ill-advised, but almost nothing to help you plan. Deciding what goes in the Pok?dex, working out which slots I need to overwrite, checking the type coverage of significant trainers? the best tool for all of this is a spreadsheet, of all things.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    How about a Title screen tool?
    Or a script to automatically add Mega Evolution to Gen III games.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    From what I've seen, I would say:

*A better Mart Editor (as mentioned above)

*A better organised Trainer Editor - during the time I did my Gen 2 hack, one of the very few tools available was The One GSC Trainer Editor. It divides the trainers into categories. Ie, all the Silver battles are in a group, all the youngster battles are grouped, etc. You click the group and then the trainer. The Trainer editors for GBA seem to be a mess. Finding specific trainers can be a pain because they're not necessarily near each other.

* A cry resource / tool - there's a tool to insert cries, but it would be nice to have a resource that contained these cries. Even better, a tool that has a list of cries and you can choose which cry is linked to which pokemon. Heck, even just a rom with the offset locations listed for each pokemon would be great.

* A nicknaming tool. It is possible to do manually, but it would be pretty handy if there was a tool that inserted the nicknaming facility into the rom. Perhaps linked to a trainer editor so that you can edit the trainers and the nicknames their pokemon have together.

Back