• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious Charities

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Do you have any charities you advocate/support? I have a few dollars left on a visa gift card, so I'm looking into different charities. Right now I think It'll be St. Jude, but I'm interested to know what others support. Many times I like hearing about this, because it lets you know whats out there. Sometimes I'll realize "oh I didn't know that existed".

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Not really. Don't have the money to feel comfortable donating more than a few bucks, and even if I did, charities can only do so much. The U.S. (or even the world really) is in such a shitty state that simply throwing money--even large sums of money--at charities isn't even gonna make a dent in things.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Not really. Don't have the money to feel comfortable donating more than a few bucks, and even if I did, charities can only do so much. The U.S. (or even the world really) is in such a shitty state that simply throwing money--even large sums of money--at charities isn't even gonna make a dent in things.

I understand, this is a reoccurring thought of mine. Though if I may ask, do you believe that it's the current world state which nullifies charity? Or is it a view about charity in general? I assume the former because it's what you specifically mentioned, but it makes me curious about your views. If the world were in a more prosperous state, would your views on charity change?

Years
  • I give $15 monthly to the local classical music station here, which is nonprofit. I've been listening to them for many years and usually listen to them at night while asleep and any other time I need to focus.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I have donated to a lot of different organizations in my life. Some of the charities I have given to before are Habitat for Humanity, Global Giving, Amnesty, the Red Cross, The Smile Train, Unicef, Good Will, the International Rescue Committee, and Susan G Komen.

I also will donate items sometimes like canned goods or clothes to local homeless shelters or food pantries, places like Salvation Army. One Christmas Eve I went to Toys R Us, bought different dolls and games and left them at a nearby children's home.

I am an especially fierce animal lover, and send money to these causes the most. I have supported The World Wildlife Fund, ASPCA, AARF and the Nature Conservancy.

I also don't mind signing petitions for a good cause, and before the pandemic I would do some volunteer work from time to time, and liked volunteering at my local Humane Society.

You have made a great choice Zeostar by picking St Jude's. They do wonderful work, and your dollars could help save a child's life <3 I think you are awesome!

Last edited:
    Years
  • I give it directly to the people who ask.
    You see a few on various busy streets in the city.

Years
  • i've donated a bunch to flood victims during super typhoon days last year. i also regularly purge my wardrobe and donate to the local Red Cross when i can.

i'd like to donate more in the future, perhaps also to online stuff like Wikipedia and Mozilla. i'm already planning to donate more to Pokecommunity even, considering how much fun i get out of this place.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I understand, this is a reoccurring thought of mine. Though if I may ask, do you believe that it's the current world state which nullifies charity? Or is it a view about charity in general? I assume the former because it's what you specifically mentioned, but it makes me curious about your views. If the world were in a more prosperous state, would your views on charity change?

It's sort of both, I think? I kinda see charities as a treatment and/or a supplement, and not a cure. They help, but they also don't really fix the problem, it's sort of a "give a man a fish" scenario. It's not really their fault though, as they aren't designed to do that nor have the means to do so. Solving the myriad of problems in the U.S. is something that's only going to come from a reformed government and a truly significant and positive change in the majority of people's political views (not that I expect that to be possible). And given how massive the problem truly is and how much power is behind it, charity can only do so much.

I don't want people to stop giving to charity though, that'd be like taking away meds from a person with a chronic illness. It's just not something that is going to make me personally feel like I'm doing any good.

Years
  • Yes I donate to a lot of charities here when I can. My main ones are the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, the Endometriosis UK Trust, RSPB, International Herpetology society, Make a Wish, Cancer Research and the Never Forget Campaign. I also donate food to local food banks when I can.

Years
  • If I had extra money or won the lottery I would definitely give some to charities in need. I sometimes find on Amazon products or things I like to get more than in the store whereI reside. That if you buy the item you donate already to the charity when purchasingthe item. My mother bought me a jacket few years ago that's made from recycled fabric off Amazon somewhere a company that the money went to a place they helps animals in need. So evey time I wear it I feel proud the money went to a good cause.

In 2019 when the Australian wildfires happened or at least I heard of then since I don't watch the news. For my birthday I wanted to donate money to one of the charities instead of getting presents for my birthday that year. So I could help the animals and people in Australia. If I remember right I donated a bit to them my mother helped me out. All I could do sadly was $ 5.00 dollars since I'm tight on money anyway.

I was happy that year for my birthday I did that and proud of myself as well.

ninestarryskies

Olivine City Outskirts Resident
    Years
  • I used to buy the Build a Bear World Wildlife Fund plushies because not only were they good quality, but they also donated some of the proceeds to conservation efforts. I mostly, selfishly, only donate if I'm getting something back, but i really care about animals too.

Also, I do not donate to anything through grocery stores or drive thrus because I worked at Walmart for a long time and my issue with it is that the big company takes your money, sends it as a donation,and gets the big tax break for it without spending a dime of their own money in most cases, when you could just donate directly yourself and not give the CEOs back even more money. I don't discourage other people doing it but that's why I don't, at least.

Years
  • If I had extra money or won the lottery I would definitely give some to charities in need. I sometimes find on Amazon products or things I like to get more than in the store whereI reside. That if you buy the item you donate already to the charity when purchasingthe item. My mother bought me a jacket few years ago that's made from recycled fabric off Amazon somewhere a company that the money went to a place they helps animals in need. So evey time I wear it I feel proud the money went to a good cause.

In 2019 when the Australian wildfires happened or at least I heard of then since I don't watch the news. For my birthday I wanted to donate money to one of the charities instead of getting presents for my birthday that year. So I could help the animals and people in Australia. If I remember right I donated a bit to them my mother helped me out. All I could do sadly was $ 5.00 dollars since I'm tight on money anyway.

I was happy that year for my birthday I did that and proud of myself as well.

Instead of using Amazon you could use smile amazon. It's exactly the same but for each purchase you make, a donation is made by amazon to a charity of your choice. And I also donated to WIRES *high five*.

Years
  • Instead of using Amazon you could use smile amazon. It's exactly the same but for each purchase you make, a donation is made by amazon to a charity of your choice. And I also donated to WIRES *high five*.

Interesting I never heard of that before I'll take a look into it, thank you for the information I appreciate it~

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i bypass the charity and donate directly to people that i see need the money.

HitmonSal

Mon top!
    Years
  • I am a massive supporter of Liberty in North Korea. NK is one of my weird passion projects and I've invested a lot of time into my research, LiNK do a lot of amazing things such as helping refugees escape and live a better life either in the US or South Korea!

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I was watching a VOA documentary this morning about victims of child marriages. It was called Worth of a Girl. Most of the women whose stories were told were between 10-14 when they were forced to marry, and usually their family had sold them. It was heartbreaking to watch at times. However, it made me aware of the United Nation's Poopulation Fund initiative to end child marriage by 2030 in conjunction with Unicef, and I donated to UNFP today. I was told that my funds would be used to prevent child marriage, in addition to providing counseling for survivors of assault, giving pregnant women in developing nations better healthcare so the can deliver safely, and measures to also to stop female circumcision.

I might also donate to an organization I stumbled upon called Vital Voices. I'm still researching them, but it looks like they do good things like work to stop human trafficking, and give girls free education and help women start businesses.

Back