• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Have you ever been to an anime convention?

Years
I live in North Carolina. Some of the conventions in the area (NC, SC, GA) include:

Momocon, DragonCon, and Anime Weekend Atlanta, all in Atlanta, GA.

Ichibancon in Concord (Charlotte area), NC

NashiCon and BanzaiCon in Columbia, SC

Animazement in Raleigh, NC

DragonCon is by far the largest, with Momocon, AWA, and Animazement also being quite big, but my personal favorite is Nashicon since it's large enough to have a good variety of events going on, but small enough so that still has that "friendly small con" feeling to it.

Oh my goodness. You are awesome!!!! I will absolutely look into this! And I actually have heard of DragonCon before, but I have not been able to go yet! This is exciting! Thank you so much for this information!!!

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
I try to attend London anime and gaming con each year and I always cosplay. The last con I went to, I went as Newt Scamander and it was pretty fun. Usually I get asked what character I'm doing, but got recognition this time. I tend to buy a few bits of merch, but it depends on if they have any series I enjoy. They always have Pokémon stuff.

It's the only one I really attend because MCM seems to be booked out quite quickly and LAGC is at a more closer location to me.

Years
Went to Anime New York this year specifically to see the panel for Gundam's creator. Went completely drunk with friends and wasn't kicked out for heckling another fan asking a question during the QA portion because he was EXCESSIVELY weird. Great day.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
I went to the London Anime & Gaming Con in 2017 just to see how they were. Did I cosplay? Well, my everyday attire and my overall appearance is nearly identical to Izaya Orihara from Durarara, hence the second name people call me, so I guess if my everyday appearance counts then I guess that I did, though Izaya himself isn't flashy. I bought a few plushies, those are my weakness. I enjoy crowds so that was fun and I might do to a con once I move to the states and settle in, time will tell.

Cariad

world.search(you);
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 25, 2023
I've attended MCM Comic Con in London for two years in a row with my university's anime society, and my boyfriend. I mainly go just to buy merchandise, especially con-exclusive stuff, and meet the people who are doing signings. I'd love to cosplay, but I'm too much of a wuss to deal with the judgement from my boyfriend's family... ( ;∀;) Ideally, I'd love to cosplay as Anila from Granblue, the Witch Princess from Harvest Moon DS, or Melty from Shining Hearts. I also used to go to Cardiff Film & Comic Con when I was younger, but now that I have more money and means to travel I usually just go to London instead.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
Locally, A few times, mostly as a staff member. Nothing really worthwhile. People were usually keeping to their circles and treat everything else like air. The amount of garbage they were always leaving behind was ridiculous each time. One of the reasons i've stopped going. Like, why bother doing anything for people without basic manners? Did not had patience for that it seems.

There were always people with a lot of merchandise ready to sell but their prices were usually something else. That of course did not stopped me from making a few mistakes here and there.

Kinda makes me thinking if those convetions are still the thing. I mean the people organizing them problably changed...

Years
Locally, A few times, mostly as a staff member. Nothing really worthwhile. People were usually keeping to their circles and treat everything else like air. The amount of garbage they were always leaving behind was ridiculous each time. One of the reasons i've stopped going. Like, why bother doing anything for people without basic manners? Did not had patience for that it seems.

There were always people with a lot of merchandise ready to sell but their prices were usually something else. That of course did not stopped me from making a few mistakes here and there.

Kinda makes me thinking if those convetions are still the thing. I mean the people organizing them problably changed...

Trash piles tend to happen with any large gathering of people, how bad is dependent on how much respect the collective of attendees has for the space hosting the event. If there's no respect, there's going to be a huge mess, if there's some respect, there'll still be a mess, just a dramatically smaller one. What helps is having venue and convention staff on cleanup duty during the event.

Con markup is definitely something to be wary about with vendors at any type of convention, but particularly anime, gaming, and comic ones. Sometimes a vendor has an item that you have been searching for years for online but never found so you just have to snap it up then and there, though. And some conventions, due to location or size have a dramatically smaller markup because of the regional expectations affecting how fast something moves at the higher prices versus the lower prices. Like most vendors at my home convention have prices fairly competitive with importing directly from Japan because if they weren't, they'd make no sales.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
You should hear what cleaning crews were usually saying... They were having constant problems with most basic stuff. People were flooding restrooms, cloging pipes, burning fuses and even deliberately destroying things. Littering was the least of the problems. In Poland people are only learning now what to do with their garbage. Forests, rivers, ditches - all full of trash to this very day, so how could it be better then ('bout decade ago)? Staff members (or "helpers") were usually patrolling the place and doing their jobs ASAP but you just can't keep hunders of guests with dozens of volunteers in check. Not without cameras ;). Every wall usually had a bag installed but using bag is not as simple as dropping waste on the floor it seems. Yeah... Those conventions back then were very crude.

Years
wowowow did I forget to post here saying I went to my first con in November

anime nyc, bought some Pokémon and Love Live merch and got to see guilty kiss perform :3c

Years
I went to Anime Expo in London quite a few years ago and it was really fun! I was really into Yu-Gi-Oh and Naruto as my main animes back then so loved all the merch, cosplays and that sort of thing, was a great experience! Hearing everyone's stories is really making me want to go back :)

Izicomics

Banned
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 12, 2020
I only had the opportunity to go to one in my country, but they were good memories, I bought many items, I took a lot of photos and enjoyed all the events

Back