• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you Use TMs?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In Pokemon games, there are many technical machines. Almost all Pokemon can learn moves via a TM, although, there are obvious exceptions, which are: most early bugs Pokemon, middle stage cocoon bug Pokemon, Magikarp, Ditto, Smeargle, the Wynaut Line, Tynamo, Beldum, Cosmog, Cosmoem and Unown. Other than that, most Pokemon can be taught a move via a TM. That being said, do you use TMs on Pokemon? When was the last time you taught a Pokemon a TM move?

I definitely don't often. The last time I used a TM on a Pokemon was on my Feraligatr in Soul Silver. I used the Iron Tail TM to fill a slot in after deleting the HM Cut.

User Anon 1848

Can't see any reason not to from gen 5 onward unless you're trying to make things more challenging I guess. I like giving my Pokemon the most ideal movesets possible so I use TM's all the time. I'm very glad they're reusable in the newer games.

Pebblycone

Little Monster ♥
    Years
  • Previously, I have had a habit of hoarding items in games (not just Pokemon), and barely using any cause WHAT IF I NEED THIS EXACT ITEM LATER AND I REGRET USING IT??? So in previous generations that only allowed one use of a TM, I would rarely use them. When they introduced multiple is TM's, I definitely started using them a lot. And the few challenges I've been working on from previous generations I have also been making use of them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • who is really out here not using TMs i stan 35, 24, and 13. on god

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Gen 4 and below, TM are scarce as you can only teach one pokemon a TM and after that you wont have that particular TM anymore and some of them cant be found on the spot they were placed or buyable and reason I have to think twice before switching a team with the TM moves or have to stick with other pokemon with no TM. As of Gen5 onwards, its no big deal anymore and I only teach handful moves that is useful for most case

Years
    • Online now
    I use some of them and sell the ones I know I won't be using. Such as bide or thief.

Years
  • Wasn't there similar topic? Because I remember answering this question already.

But I use then often. In older gens it's a must, because of badly made movesets of several Pokémon. Game Corner in Celadon must be the place I spent most of my time in Pokémon games.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I used to be very stingy about it before generation five since they were only one use items (unless i was doing a challenge run) but now that they're infinite i use them very freely to help diversify my team and all that fun stuff.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I use them no matter the generation. Especially in the earlier games it's the way to get good moves on mons. Why pass that up?
    I use some of them and sell the ones I know I won't be using. Such as bide or thief.
    Yeah, Bide sucks. But if you ever end up using the GTS, just remember that Thief exists and that people really love their Scizors. :)

Last edited:
    Back