• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are fashion shows giving off bad messages to younger females?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I don't think fashion shows are really about the models. The point is to showcase the clothing (often, impractical clothing) as a form of art. So, what they need and use are essentially walking coat hangers.

The media around that though is what perpetuates that look as beautiful, even though it's unrealistic.

For retail though, when they show off their new lines for the season, I think those models should be more normal and realistic as that's who will be buying

I agree. Most good fashion blogs solely focus on the fashion and never the model. People don't usually realize that it's a model's JOB to look the best they can and that means that whatever they put on, they need to work it.

Guys need to read some Tom and Lorenzo. Sometimes being able to laugh and poke fun at something like this actually helps give a better outlook to it all:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/12/2014-victorias-secret-fashion-show/

When it comes to fashion, you have to have fun with it. A GOOD model is all about trying to be a role model to encourage confidence, a HEALTHY body not just a skinny one,) and a healthy mind. It's usually the agencies that spin that out of control, and sadly, that's not the model's fault, it's what the model has to fight with in the industry.

While a LOT of models are chosen for their specific body types (endomorphs) because it is easier to showcase the clothing that way (less alterations) I have watched a few documentaries and I do know that the VS models train very hard to attain and maintain the body they have.

Look to people like Lorraine Pascale who wants to advocate health- yes part of it is about marketing too, but if it's a good message you can agree with.. then show support! Forget social media thinness and fads. Fashion has never REALLY been about that (at least high fashion).. that's all marketing and money. Be smarter than that, people!

A fashion show is not a beauty competition. It's a walking gallery. Forget about all the reality TV garbage!

Last edited:
Years
^ I guess I can get where you're coming from with that article, as some of the ladies presented were at least presenting separate ways to look great than the others at the show.

But what exactly do the agencies do that the model they have for them has to put up with that she wouldn't want to? I'm sure there are many females out there who have done lots to keep their image good, and I bet that when they do model they have fun doing it. But I guess credit can be given if they're trying to showcase off clothing that those watching have probably never seen before in their life. You have female celebrities on Twitter always posting about what they'll wear to certain awards shows, so it can be argued that this isn't too much different.

Years
Did you know that in South America they used to disform their heads? Sometimes a board would be strapped to a child's head to artificially elongate it. And in parts of Africa they practice stretching of the earlobes and lips.
In Japan, in modern times even, paler skin is coveted. And up until very recently it was a legal and not unheard of practice in China to bind a young women's feet; preventing them from growing.

Fascinations with appearances and changing them have been common throughout the whole world, for a very long time. I understand and don't necessarily disagree with the idea that western cultures often try harder to fit in, and conform to expectations and certain fads. But in my own opinion that's stemming from deeper issues that aren't really on topic, here.

I'm not trying to argue a point, just tell you something you may not know! :D

Bound feet have been considered disgusting in China ever since liberals and westernists came onto the scene (turn of the 1900's) and was pretty much eradicated ever since the communists took over (since the 1949). I want to dispel the notion that China is oh-so-exotic and foreign - it really isn't. Anyways with that out of the way...

"Fascinations with appearances and changing them have been common throughout the whole world, for a very long time." That's for sure, but I don't think there's a society with more emphasis on needing positive self-esteem than in North America. I guess it's not caring about appearances per se, but rather the need to feel good about yourself with appearance being one of many aspects.

Also, I agree with Kura. Not sure why fashion models are considered to be the paragons of beauty. What is meant to be rather mundane can have a more significant meaning to someone I guess. I think the treatment of fashion models as ideals of beauty just happened to become popular for whatever reason.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
But what exactly do the agencies do that the model they have for them has to put up with that she wouldn't want to?
Provide them some sort of income so the model can attempt to live in today's society instead of going on the doll? "It pays the bills." Thought that's a given.

Also I'd consider remembering that although celebs can get modelling bookings/ opportunities (again marketing and the agencies know how they look in front of a camera so they get hired for that reason), a celebrity and a professional model are actually two separate things here especially when it comes to social media. Also remember than many celebs have personal stylists.

Years
For context's sake: I consider myself an MRA and someone generally opposed to a lot of what's said in the name of modern feminism.

???

I admittedly don't keep up with MRA or feminism, but aren't they basically striving for the same goal: elimination of sexism? Just one focuses on men's issues, and another one focuses on women's issues. I always felt like being one implicitly meant you are the other.

Tacked on thought about the topic at hand: yes, they are. For the reasons a bunch of other people have touched on already.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
???

I admittedly don't keep up with MRA or feminism, but aren't they basically striving for the same goal: elimination of sexism? Just one focuses on men's issues, and another one focuses on women's issues. I always felt like being one implicitly meant you are the other.

Tacked on thought about the topic at hand: yes, they are. For the reasons a bunch of other people have touched on already.
That depends. I don't want to get too far off-topic here, but the definition of a feminist is someone who advocates for female issues and the definition of an MRA is someone who advocates for male issues. That doesn't imply that the end goal is equality or fairness, but likewise, it doesn't imply that it's not. And, in fact, there are people in either "camp" who aren't in favor of those things and (I like to think) many more who are in favor of one or both.

Years
Provide them some sort of income so the model can attempt to live in today's society instead of going on the doll? "It pays the bills." Thought that's a given.

Also I'd consider remembering that although celebs can get modelling bookings/ opportunities (again marketing and the agencies know how they look in front of a camera so they get hired for that reason), a celebrity and a professional model are actually two separate things here especially when it comes to social media. Also remember than many celebs have personal stylists.

Well it does help that the model gets her paycheck for what she does, but I don't think that really explains how she gets screwed over by the company she works for. And a regular celebrity might be someone in the works with, say, music, movies or television but that is indeed different from the job a typical model performs, so if the latter were more focused on that than they were their media related job they likely would put more passion and enjoyment into it. And while most do have personal stylists, some of those might work differently for who they have than others.

But you said that these are more "walking galleries", I know they're not exactly competitions but I don't think that's the "proper" term to define it.

Years
Well it does help that the model gets her paycheck for what she does, but I don't think that really explains how she gets screwed over by the company she works for. And a regular celebrity might be someone in the works with, say, music, movies or television but that is indeed different from the job a typical model performs, so if the latter were more focused on that than they were their media related job they likely would put more passion and enjoyment into it. And while most do have personal stylists, some of those might work differently for who they have than others.

But you said that these are more "walking galleries", I know they're not exactly competitions but I don't think that's the "proper" term to define it.

There's a big uproar about size zero and how it's so "unrealistic", but a fashion model's job is unrealistic. They're literally supposed to present the clothing. Male fashion models are the same way. That's why their bodies are slight and rather featureless, to keep all the attention on the clothing. That's also why I don't understand why their physical features are sought after by people who don't intend to display clothing.

Nobody harps of glamour models for being size zero because they're not. If the purpose of your modelling is supposed to evoke erotic feelings, you kind of need to have curves to pull that off.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
There's a big uproar about size zero and how it's so "unrealistic", but a fashion model's job is unrealistic. They're literally supposed to present the clothing. Male fashion models are the same way. That's why their bodies are slight and rather featureless, to keep all the attention on the clothing. That's also why I don't understand why their physical features are sought after by people who don't intend to display clothing.

Nobody harps of glamour models for being size zero because they're not. If the purpose of your modelling is supposed to evoke erotic feelings, you kind of need to have curves to pull that off.

It's not simply fashion shows that push the idea of models as an erotic ideal. Video examples in spoiler so as not to stretch the page.

Model Izabel Goulart at 3:15 on Two and a Half Men, presented as a hot bunny on Charlie Sheen's arm.

""[Damon Wayans Jr.] jokes that this is by far his best episode yet because our time was spent hanging out with Alessandra and Ana Beatriz," Lamorne Morris (Winston) jokes about the high-profile guest spots. "My favorite moment of working with Alessandra and Ana Beatriz was the fact that they are just stunningly tall and gorgeous."

An entire episode centered around how sexy Heidi Klum is.

You get the point here. People try to reach that ideal because culture pushes it as an ideal. And as they reach for it, they push it on other people themselves by becoming part of the influential culture.

Years
Calm down and put away the pitchforks and flaming torches; this isn't the monster you think it is.

I feel like a lot of this is social justice warrior first, understanding later.

I'm surprised at the very one sided argument in here. Fashion is not about making you feel bad about yourself. However, the industry does rely on presenting an ideal or an aspiration of what an individual wants to be. If I see a pretty dress being worn by an attractive model I want to wear that dress. That's how the marketing of fashion works and why models will always be beautiful. Take away the aspiration and the appeal to have the product dies.

Also, I'd like to make some points.
1. Plus size models exist, as do petite (i.e. short) models.

2. While the fashion industry has in the past been guilty of using under size models throughout the last decade there has been a big internal push to use healthy sized models. Now this next part is very important: healthy is not overweight. What is considered thin is actually biologically healthy. The widespread obesity in western countries is warping the view of what a healthy size is to be larger than it truly is. Replacing current models with overweight models doesn't exactly help portray a healthy body either.

As an example I am 163 cm tall and weigh 56 kgs (no where near underweight) and when I shop online on ASOS (for example) I am the same size as the models. I also wore a size 2 bridesmaid dress to a wedding once and had it taken in slightly. If that's one size up from 0, then that's not much to worry about, imo.

3. High fashion and commercial fashion are different. High fashion is more artistic and they generally book models that are unique and different. There is definitely no "specific beauty", theirs is entirely unconventional. Where you get the more conventional beauty is commercial modeling (e.g. target or something).

4. A model's job is to display the clothing to make it look it's best. As mentioned previously this generally requires the model to be in good shape and attractive. Even plus size models aren't particularly fat. The reason being that rolls of fat etc. will affect the appearance of the garment they need to display.

5. Beauty pageants aren't fashion and the two shouldn't be mentioned as though they are the same thing.

6. "Glamour" modeling and fashion aren't the same and also shouldn't be mentioned otherwise.

To finish my response, I find the fashion industry boosts my confidence, which is the opposite of what the majority in this thread are commenting. When I look good on the outside I feel more confident, and thats the purpose of fashion.

I also appreciate beauty. When I see attractive models displaying clothes I don't compare myself negatively to them, instead I examine what they doing it and consider those points next time I select clothes or get ready to go out.

I think a lot of this is an attitude problem: it's only negative because that's all you're focusing on. Making comparisons between yourselves and others is never healthy, be it body or brains.

Also, as a final note. Western countries certainly do not have the worst attitude on beauty. I think South Korea wins that hands down. Any actor, TV personality, pop star and model is pretty much guaranteed to have had plastic surgery.

Years
Calm down and put away the pitchforks and flaming torches; this isn't the monster you think it is.

I feel like a lot of this is social justice warrior first, understanding later.

I'm surprised at the very one sided argument in here. Fashion is not about making you feel bad about yourself. However, the industry does rely on presenting an ideal or an aspiration of what an individual wants to be. If I see a pretty dress being worn by an attractive model I want to wear that dress. That's how the marketing of fashion works and why models will always be beautiful. Take away the aspiration and the appeal to have the product dies.

Also, I'd like to make some points.
1. Plus size models exist, as do petite (i.e. short) models.

2. While the fashion industry has in the past been guilty of using under size models throughout the last decade there has been a big internal push to use healthy sized models. Now this next part is very important: healthy is not overweight. What is considered thin is actually biologically healthy. The widespread obesity in western countries is warping the view of what a healthy size is to be larger than it truly is. Replacing current models with overweight models doesn't exactly help portray a healthy body either.

As an example I am 163 cm tall and weigh 56 kgs (no where near underweight) and when I shop online on ASOS (for example) I am the same size as the models. I also wore a size 2 bridesmaid dress to a wedding once and had it taken in slightly. If that's one size up from 0, then that's not much to worry about, imo.

3. High fashion and commercial fashion are different. High fashion is more artistic and they generally book models that are unique and different. There is definitely no "specific beauty", theirs is entirely unconventional. Where you get the more conventional beauty is commercial modeling (e.g. target or something).

4. A model's job is to display the clothing to make it look it's best. As mentioned previously this generally requires the model to be in good shape and attractive. Even plus size models aren't particularly fat. The reason being that rolls of fat etc. will affect the appearance of the garment they need to display.

5. Beauty pageants aren't fashion and the two shouldn't be mentioned as though they are the same thing.

6. "Glamour" modeling and fashion aren't the same and also shouldn't be mentioned otherwise.

To finish my response, I find the fashion industry boosts my confidence, which is the opposite of what the majority in this thread are commenting. When I look good on the outside I feel more confident, and thats the purpose of fashion.

I also appreciate beauty. When I see attractive models displaying clothes I don't compare myself negatively to them, instead I examine what they doing it and consider those points next time I select clothes or get ready to go out.

I think a lot of this is an attitude problem: it's only negative because that's all you're focusing on. Making comparisons between yourselves and others is never healthy, be it body or brains.

Also, as a final note. Western countries certainly do not have the worst attitude on beauty. I think South Korea wins that hands down. Any actor, TV personality, pop star and model is pretty much guaranteed to have had plastic surgery.

Now, I do know that there are shorter ladies that will model, and it's also pretty important that they'd choose ladies they feel promote healthy, thin images as opposed to those that might be larger. So I get what you're saying when you claim there's a push for those. At these fashion events it sounds like high fashion is what they wear, and (as I mentioned) the models want to look physically attractive and promote a good image should they want to make their dresses look good.

For that matter, I don't think I said beauty pageants were the same as fashion shows, because the latter IS different and some people do not find it in good taste to have which women are chosen as prettier than the other. But as this thread has established, fashion shows are best exhibited for the clothing. And if by glamour you mean stuff you see in magazines, articles and the like, then that is probably not something I would compare to what we see in the major shows.

But I still don't know if I quite get how promoting these fashions are supposed to boost confidence, at this point I don't think I want to say that they're not good to it but what i'm getting is that you think people will display more confidence if they focus on the models' habits with their outfits instead of the fact that they feel inferior.

Years
Now, I do know that there are shorter ladies that will model, and it's also pretty important that they'd choose ladies they feel promote healthy, thin images as opposed to those that might be larger. So I get what you're saying when you claim there's a push for those. At these fashion events it sounds like high fashion is what they wear, and (as I mentioned) the models want to look physically attractive and promote a good image should they want to make their dresses look good.

For that matter, I don't think I said beauty pageants were the same as fashion shows, because the latter IS different and some people do not find it in good taste to have which women are chosen as prettier than the other. But as this thread has established, fashion shows are best exhibited for the clothing. And if by glamour you mean stuff you see in magazines, articles and the like, then that is probably not something I would compare to what we see in the major shows.

But I still don't know if I quite get how promoting these fashions are supposed to boost confidence, at this point I don't think I want to say that they're not good to it but what i'm getting is that you think people will display more confidence if they focus on the models' habits with their outfits instead of the fact that they feel inferior.

I don't quite understand what you mean by that last sentence, so I can't respond to that. However, glamour modeling isn't what you see in magazines. It has a very inappropriate name because in my opinion it's the opposite of glamour. You know the girls that pose in skimpy clothes in front of motorbikes, etc? That's "glamour" modeling.

Years
I don't quite understand what you mean by that last sentence, so I can't respond to that. However, glamour modeling isn't what you see in magazines. It has a very inappropriate name because in my opinion it's the opposite of glamour. You know the girls that pose in skimpy clothes in front of motorbikes, etc? That's "glamour" modeling.

What I meant by that was how you said the fashion industry boosts your confidence, which, as you said, is the opposite of what a lot of people in this thread are saying. You're saying that people only focus on the negative and feel inferior (which they do, if it hasn't already been established). It's also in how you mention when you see the clothing that attractive models wear, in that it helps you examine how you want to choose your clothing based on what they have.

As for glamour modeling, I kinda thought it was magazine stuff...but when you put it that way, yes, that and the fashion shows are definitely two different things. One of which is broadcast on television to the world, the other of which, as you said, is when girls pose for pictures at various locations. While it's not something that's generally attractive (at least not compared to doing it professionally for the cameras), that would be something I kinda see girls doing for enjoyment.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
This was something I wanted to post a topic on after seeing an article following the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, which aired on CBS last Tuesday. Now, I didn't watch the show, because one, I was busy making notes for my finals, and two, the TV in my dorm building was static-y so I didn't really have a good opportunity to. But I did see an article on Aol.com that, aside from discussing the musical performances present that night, briefly mentioned how (just like every other year) there were viewers who "jokingly admitted sobbing into junk food" over the images of the women present.

Now, it feels a bit weird that this topic is being made by a guy, let alone one who didn't even watch the show, but this is something I felt was worthy of discussion because what I think those girls that tweeted things like that feel is that they feel they're inferior because they're not as "pretty" as the people they're seeing on their screen. There are many people who wonder why there are younger girls who always think they're ugly, and an event like this I think kinda tells me why.

Would you say that things like the fashion shows are influencing girls negatively in considering themselves ashamed of their image? Discuss.

There's fashion shows for guys too as well as magazines and a whole lot of ads. I think we guys are also impacted by how the media portrays men. I feel like most tend to forget about the anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating (without the forced vomiting of bulimia) some boys are going through to get the bodies shown in media to appeal to others. Actually I saw a news report in a Spanish news channel (Univision) saying that eating disorders among boys are growing due to the influence of these images of men.

I don't think all fashion though is bad. If fashions shows are tapped into and if one is made with less typically seen models I think it can offer a positive message to children and adults alike. I do think though that the "ideal" will always exist. Btw did you guys know that most Egyptian pharaohs and their wives/husbands if the pharaoh was a woman were fat according to analysis on their mummies? So the statues we have left of them are nothing more than ideal representations of men and women at the time...

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015

I hope you realize how interlinked these two statements are. It is not shocking in any way that you feel validated by the fashion industry that puts forward your body type as the ideal. The average American woman is a size 14. For those women, it would take years of strict dieting, exercise possibly starting from zero, and massive lifestyle changes to reach the ideal that you are already at.

"Women were more depressed (R2 = 0.745, p <.05) and more angry (R2 = 0.73, p <.01) following exposure to slides of female fashion models."

"Results indicated that exposure to the thin-ideal produced depression, stress, guilt, shame, insecurity, and body dissatisfaction. Further, multiple regression analyses indicated that negative affect, body dissatisfaction, and subscription to the thin-ideal predicted bulimic symptoms."

"Exposure to thin-ideal magazine images increased body dissatisfaction, negative mood states, and eating disorder symptoms and decreased self-esteem, although it did not cause more internalization of the thin-ideal. Exposure to thin-ideal media images may contribute to the development of eating disorders by causing body dissatisfaction, negative moods, low self-esteem, and eating disorders symptoms among women."

Reactions: Her

Sir Codin

This isn't just a women's problem, it's also a men's problem.

I see all those guys on magazines with six-pack abs and chiseled features, then I look at my pot-belly and want to kill myself.

Years
The average American woman is a size 14.

The average American woman is also overweight. I don't think we should appeal to the "average" because the average has only been increasing for many decades. What is popular or common is not necessarily the ideal.

I don't think that a size 14 or so woman is outrageously overweight or unattractive but that doesn't really matter because people only care about what they think is popular. As conservative as it's going to sound, I think the core issue is with things like "family values" and teaching our children to find inner peace. Everybody should have thick enough skin so that they aren't swayed too easily by what others think. I mean, we teach media literacy in English from Grade 7 (probably it's earlier now) to help children understand media by identifying biases, messages, who the message is written by and for whom, etc etc but it's probably useless cuz nobody gives a **** about school anyways so the lessons fall on deaf ears.

I don't know how feasible or whether we even should interfere with the fashion industry. I think as families and communities we have a responsibility to teach our children the lessons they need to understand themselves and the world and not be swayed by slick images. We can put our best foot forwards where we actually have power to effect change.

Years
What I meant by that was how you said the fashion industry boosts your confidence, which, as you said, is the opposite of what a lot of people in this thread are saying. You're saying that people only focus on the negative and feel inferior (which they do, if it hasn't already been established). It's also in how you mention when you see the clothing that attractive models wear, in that it helps you examine how you want to choose your clothing based on what they have.

As for glamour modeling, I kinda thought it was magazine stuff...but when you put it that way, yes, that and the fashion shows are definitely two different things. One of which is broadcast on television to the world, the other of which, as you said, is when girls pose for pictures at various locations. While it's not something that's generally attractive (at least not compared to doing it professionally for the cameras), that would be something I kinda see girls doing for fun.

They're not women taking happy snaps, they're paid publicity shots of women in skimpy clothing.

In realtion to your other comment, focusing on a models habits is not really the correct interpretation. It's focusing on the styling and why she looks good and taking that on board. For example, her accessories, hair and makeup.

So it's okay to demonise perfectly healthy women for the sake of the self esteem of the overweight? Then what, you make all models size 14 and all the obese women will still feel bad about themselves. This argument holds no water for me.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
The average American woman is also overweight. I don't think we should appeal to the "average" because the average has only been increasing for many decades. What is popular or common is not necessarily the ideal.

I don't think that a size 14 or so woman is outrageously overweight or unattractive but that doesn't really matter because people only care about what they think is popular. As conservative as it's going to sound, I think the core issue is with things like "family values" and teaching our children to find inner peace. Everybody should have thick enough skin so that they aren't swayed too easily by what others think. I mean, we teach media literacy in English from Grade 7 (probably it's earlier now) to help children understand media by identifying biases, messages, who the message is written by and for whom, etc etc but it's probably useless cuz nobody gives a **** about school anyways so the lessons fall on deaf ears.

I don't know how feasible or whether we even should interfere with the fashion industry. I think as families and communities we have a responsibility to teach our children the lessons they need to understand themselves and the world and not be swayed by slick images. We can put our best foot forwards where we actually have power to effect change.

So it's okay to demonise perfectly healthy women for the sake of the self esteem of the overweight? Then what, you make all models size 14 and all the obese women will still feel bad about themselves. This argument holds no water for me.

1. Both of you made the same incorrect assumption that I mentioned the average size of women to imply that that should be the average size of models. I mentioned the average size of women as a counterpoint to Lotus' "I'm the same size as models and they make me feel better about myself, therefore it's an attitude problem, not an actual problem" - because the majority of women are very emphatically not the same size as models, and thus have a very different experience when they see them.

2. Lotus, I'm not sure why you assumed that disagreeing with having all models identical sizes that are in a practical sense unachieveable for most women is "demonising perfectly health women for the sake of the self esteem of the overweight". I would like to point out that all I'm talking about is wider representation of body types, and you've turned it into being demonized. How is not having every single straight-size model in existence be within 2 sizes of you imply demonization?

3. Why do we even need an "ideal"? The "where should we set the ideal weight to make women who don't match it feel terrible about themselves" argument is bunk from the start. Instead, we should remove the idea of an ideal. It's very clearly based in societal norms and not based in some base human nature that loves skinny women, considering in the past overweight women were seen as more attractive due to many societal reasons that differed by culture.

This also rests on another bunk argument - that if the media shames overweight women by making sure they know that they are not beautiful, they are not the ideal, and they need to change to match it if they want to be beautiful, those women will change. Studies have shown that women feeling shame about their weight do not work to change it, on the whole - they eat more, they're more depressed (which causes weight gain), they're more sedentary. I know from my own personal experience that I began to lose weight when I began to love my body and want to take care of it. I did it from a place of comfort with myself, not shame. When you hate your body, why would you take the time to make it healthy? The focus on health regardless of weight and the focus on loving your body go hand in hand.

This is a bit of a side note that was brought up with "everyone else just has an attitude problem" and will likely be brought up by that previous point - blaming a sociological trend in opinion on the people is willfully ignoring the point of sociology. There is a reason why a majority of people in a certain culture share the same opinion about something. When there's a crack in the dam and the river is getting through, you don't tell people to start trying to collect the water coming through and throw it out to solve the problem; you find the crack and fill it. There's a reason why when an entire class is failing, people look to the teacher and not the students. We are all influenced by our surroundings, well before we can even talk or fully understand what we're seeing. Sociological studies on opinions that don't make sense in your personal worldview are not there for you to say "well I think that opinion is stupid so I'll just get the 90 million people to be less stupid and solve the problem!" It's there to point out that there is a root cause for all of this, and if we find the root cause and fill the crack, then opinions will naturally shift. In society, the "cause" is much more complex and multifaceted. Models are certainly not the only cause, and allowing women of all sizes to be put up as desirable will not overnight cause people to change their opinions. However, it does contribute and stemming one crack is better than telling the river that it shouldn't flow.

Reactions: Her

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
This isn't just a women's problem, it's also a men's problem.

I see all those guys on magazines with six-pack abs and chiseled features, then I look at my pot-belly and want to kill myself.

that being said, the scale that men are targeted either by the fashion industry (or whatever industry/lifestyle you're referring to in your post, it's 4:30am so you'll have to forgive me) is not close to the level of targeting women face by the same industries
men most certainly do have problems when it comes to body expectations and ideals and feel the same amount of stress as many women do, but it's important to remember that men aren't targeted with the same... how do i put this, vigilance as women are

do you get what i'm saying? i'm not attacking i just feel like the 'and men too' thought needed to be... reevaluated

Back