• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Enjoying the game and disliking the main playable character

Years
    • Seen today
    Anybody have a game you enjoyed but the main protagonist was "meh"?

Grand Theft Auto has done this a couple times. CJ is memeable but he's a complete idiot. Owns 20+ properties and a mansion by the end of the game, has a 1 million dollar jet pack, but "let's go back to the hood, my brother said so". I actually liked Franklin a bit more, he does the complete opposite and tries to push against this stupidity.

Chloe from life is strange: before the storm. I don't even think she's meant to be likable. I still like these games for the visual novel aspect, even if the writing is a bit rough every now and then.

I think Abby from The Last of Us 2 is a popular answer, but the game as a whole seems to be on the receiving end of so much hatred. Unpopular opinion and the fanbase would probably kill me, but I liked her more than ellie.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Wound up being more difficult than expected. Played a lot of games with silent or blank slate main protagonists.

Corrin from Fire Emblem: Fates (Conquest).
    Spoiler:

Praises the game for its mechanics. Balanced the children better versus Awakening. Liked the weapon system. Introduced personal skills. Improved Awakening's support system by cutting the randomness.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Can I say Pokémon? x)

Really most games with silent (customizeable) protagonists are ofc really boring in this sense as the protag becomes you but can't express much. Shepard in Mass Effect is different, as she (or he) actually speaks and has a well defined identity. Gordon Freeman is a stretch.

Back