• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do People With Disabilities Have the Right to Pursue a Teaching Career?

Years
Everyone has the right to teach for as long you are qualified and you meet the requirements required by the school. Disabilities are not a hindrance.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Everyone has the right to teach for as long you are qualified and you meet the requirements required by the school. Disabilities are not a hindrance.

Basically this. Having a disability shouldn't hinder one's abilities to accomplish anything, really. That's like saying I shouldn't be a writer because of my own disabilities. We have a lot of wisdom and such... but people take us for granted and think we are inferior. I actually have a lot of skills as a writer, and that means that if a person who is disabled as the skills to be a teacher... they should be allowed that right. Don't let society tell you otherwise. I like to think we exist to break the general standards of society.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Basically this. Having a disability shouldn't hinder one's abilities to accomplish anything, really.
I would have to disagree there. Disability by nature refers to the inability to do something because of one or more limitations. It is in itself a "hindrance on one's abilities to accomplish [something]," so what you are saying is a bit of a contradiction.

AdorbzFangirl said:
That's like saying I shouldn't be a writer because of my own disabilities. I actually have a lot of skills as a writer, and that means that if a person who is disabled as the skills to be a teacher... they should be allowed that right. Don't let society tell you otherwise. I like to think we exist to break the general standards of society.
I suppose it depends on the nature of your disability. It would be incredibly hard - if not impossible - to be a writer if you didn't have hands. If you had a speech impediment or were a paraplegic on the other hand (lol), perhaps not so much. It really depends on the context of the situation, i.e. the disability and the task.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nah

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I said it shouldn't hinder one's (dis)abilities. I'm well aware of what disability means. There are many things I'm unable to do because of my own. That doesn't mean that I, or the OP, don't have things we can do to overcome those challenges we face. That's the thing about having a disability. People are good in some things but bad at doing others. I have a lot of skills in some things, but I can't cook, clean or function when it comes to most math things. This doesn't mean that I'm so disabled that I can't do anything. Sure, it may not be the same for other people who are on a more severe scale... but I've seen people even on that level who do great things. Have you ever heard of Carly Fleischmann? What about Amy Sequenzia? They both have very severe forms of autism yet they are both disability advocates who are capable of proving to the world they are very capable. Just because the definition of a disability says that it's a hinderance of one's needs or whatever... doesn't mean that person shouldn't still do things they are capable of doing.

Last edited:

string555

Banned
Years
I feel like there's no real debate left here, so I'll just give a word of advice to the OP:

If you really want that teaching job, and you feel that the main problems are your social skills, you have a whole year to prepare. I suggest getting out as much as possible and finding opportunities to socialize with people. Worst comes to worst, you might have to just go to random stores and ask the employees random dumb questions about different products, just for the conversation. If you keep up that kind of stuff, you will get better at it over time. :D

And while we are on the subject of Autism... I've only ever been diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder, but more and more for the last 2 years, I've been questioning on whether I really fit somewhere on that spectrum. I feel like it would explain a lot about me, and if I knew for sure, I feel like I could just embrace it and gain a better understanding about myself. I just don't know what to think. :/

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I said it shouldn't hinder one's (dis)abilities. I'm well aware of what disability means. There are many things I'm unable to do because of my own. That doesn't mean that I, or the OP, don't have things we can do to overcome those challenges we face. That's the thing about having a disability. People are good in some things but bad at doing others. I have a lot of skills in some things, but I can't cook, clean or function when it comes to most math things. This doesn't mean that I'm so disabled that I can't do anything. Sure, it may not be the same for other people who are on a more severe scale... but I've seen people even on that level who do great things. Have you ever heard of Carly Fleischmann? What about Amy Sequenzia? They both have very severe forms of autism yet they are both disability advocates who are capable of proving to the world they are very capable. Just because the definition of a disability says that it's a hinderance of one's needs or whatever... doesn't mean that person shouldn't still do things they are capable of doing.

I totally agree. I'm not denying that people with disabilities (severe or not) are able to do great things; they can definitely exceed the limitations of their disability in some respects but only where their limitations do not have too much of an effect. Again, the context. Someone's disability might make one thing more challenging to do, while other things pretty much impossible. You cannot see without your sight, but you can walk. Walking would obviously be much more challenging without your sight but it's not impossible.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
Hey! I'm sorry that your interview didn't go as planned. I know you mentioned they didn't give you any materials to prepare for the interview, but that's usually how it goes. You have to put in the work to try to prepare for any possible questions they could ask you, and you also need to prepare some questions of your own to ask your interviewer. While it may seem unfair that you could be denied employment based on something that is a manifestation of your disability, you must be able to perform the essential functions of the job adequately. Being a teacher is not easy, and you must be able to demonstrate competence, fluency, empathy, compassion and purpose in your interview. This can be difficult because even if you have the knowledge and formal education that is necessary, you may still have a hard time demonstrating this competency to your interviewer.

Communication skills are vital in a teaching role. If you lacked necessary communication skills, your curriculum would decline in quality and your students' learning would suffer immensely. This does not mean you should abandon your dreams. You say your communication skills are incapable of improvement but this is so contrary to how social learning actually occurs. Find new ways to interact with people, listen to their stories and respond in kind. It is uncomfortable at times, but you can even start by reaching out to people and groups who share similar interests with you. There are apps for meeting new friends (Meetme, Meetup, even some dating sites have people on there specifically looking for friends rather than dates) and there are many organizations that run events for the explicit purpose of bringing people with similar interests together. You could join a book club, or a recreational sports league. You could attend local festivals, fairs, etc. If you are religious you could join a religious group. I know these sound like basic, silly solutions to a complex problem but you can always start small with these kinds of things. Consider approaching a career services company for help too. They can help coach you for your interview.

I know this seems insurmountable, but I think if you are able to put in the work necessary you would be an excellent teacher. You would be empathetic to the plight of students who simply don't think they are smart enough to excel in school. You could even teach them some of the techniques and coping skills you have learned over the years to overcome the harshest manifestations of your disability. Don't think that you are incapable of pursuing your most passionate dreams simply because of your disability, because you aren't.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I just graduated from my university yesterday, but it was a bittersweet graduation for me. One of my short-term goals is to get into a career of teaching so I can be financially stable. In order for me to become full-time teacher, I have to enter a credential program from my local university for 1 1/2 years by completing two objectives: a rhetorical essay and an interview. I was denied admission because of my interview. My poor verbal skills did not meet the requirements for the Committee under Executive Order 1032. What they didn't know is that my verbal interpersonal skills was the result of my Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which one of its three characteristics is communication problems. And according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, individuals with disabilities aren't suppose to be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity that has received Federal financial assistance, conducted by any Executive agency, or conducted by the U.S. Postal Service. My university also has a Student Disability Service to help students and alumni with disabilities achieve their career goals. I told the higher ups of the program about this during my appeal and how I can become a functional teacher with the right support that includes orientation (pre-admission), consistent mentoring and coaching, persistent monitoring, and review. They still decided I wasn't suitable enough to enter the program, thus ending my goal of getting a teaching career (at least until next year). Right now, I am without a job until I'm able to pass the CBEST to take a temporary job as a substitute teacher.

So I ask you guys this: Do people with disabilities have the right to pursue a teaching career, or are we better off working on a minimum wage job like Wal-Mart, which will only result us in being less financially stable?

I think everyone with a disability has the right to pursue whatever goal they decide upon. I'm really sorry that you weren't accepted this time. It sounds like you are very devoted to this goal, and it really sucks to be declined; especially when you feel that it is unjust.

Obviously the employer decided that you aren't a correct fit to their standards. Remember, that the standards they have are not designed for people with disabilities in mind. Just because you haven't met their criteria doesn't mean that you are the problem. It may just mean that they are inflexible with their requirements.

In a perfect world you would be assessed upon what abilities you do have, rather than what you are lacking. You would then be offered a position where you are able to teach students whose learning style fits well with the manner in which you would teach. Unfortunately, this isn't a world we live in yet. So you're going to have to try and adapt to match what they want.

I think the best thing to do is to try and look at it objectively, see where you can realistically make improvements and adaptions in areas you are able to; and also recognise certain areas where you cannot realistically change. You'll need to explain why that is the case and try to discover adaptations (hopefully together with your prospective employer). They are never going to bend over backwards for your needs, so unfortunately you have to put double the effort in to try and reach their standards.

Most importantly you should remember that you are on an uphill struggle. The workplace is not designed for people with disabilities; so you have to work twice as hard! It's not fair, but sadly that's the way it is. Don't lose hope and do your best!

Last edited:

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
wow, that must have been very hard to go through. to me, i personally feel that it was an attack on your disability, but that's just me. i've found that upon letting employers know you suffer from a disability, they look at you and treat you differently because of it, which is ****ing stupid. that's why i've always been quiet about my issues. i'm too afraid to get fired from a job for saying that i'm autistic, so i just grit my teeth and deal with it. not saying you should do the same, the truth is already out there, and hiding things isn't easy for everyone (the only reason i'm able to do it so well is because i tucked away my condition my entire life after being severely bullied and abused because of it). if you do believe this is an attack on your disability, get an attorney. seriously. fight for yourself. if not, try again next year. and again, fight for yourself. this is your life and your goals. you shouldn't let something silly like this ruin it.

i have plans on becoming a history professor/teacher, so this does give me a little insight on what i should expect in the future. it kind of makes me a little angry, lol. i think no matter what disability you have, you should have the right to be a teacher. if you have the skills and the passion, that's all that matters in the long run.

UnfadingLight

Light Warrior
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 18, 2018
I have Asperger's and I wanted to teach, but due to symptoms of my disability, I was forced to either drop student teaching or have an F on my transcript. I felt as if I was discriminated against since I was attending college in a small town.

I still am uncertified, but I have a (currently useless) degree in special education. I worked as a teaching assistant for two years, but got laid off (supposedly due to budget constraints). For the last two years, I have not been able to find a job. Not even Kroger or GameStop will hire me. I feel pathetic.

People with disabilities should be able to pursue a teaching career, but they probably should not until people are more accepting of disabilities.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
As long as you are a caring and good teacher, I don't see why not. Teachers with disabilities if capable should be allowed to teach no doubt about it, but kids are tough and can be very mean especially if they see something they think they can exploit and mock. But as a teacher you should be prepared to handle all sorts of children and not hold biases for or against others.

Years
Of course. I used to volunteer in the art department with an adult education program in my community for physically and developmentally disabled clients. One of the goals was to help people with disabilities achieve their career ambitions.

One thing I hope that you will find encouraging is that my mother has a sister who was born premature and at the time she was the smallest baby born on record in the city. She was not expected to survive but was kept alive in an incubator. Though my aunt lived the light from the incubation process damaged her eyesight, leaving her mostly blind and hindering her motor and verbal skills. The prognosis for her was bleak back in 60s. Social workers advised my grandmother to commit her daughter to an institution, saying that she was a hopeless case, and would never be able to function normally. My grandmother refused to part with her child though, and just treated her like all of her other kids, and sent her to school with everyone else, despite the world derogatorily referring to my young aunt as a "retard" back in those days. Well, the joke was on the world. My aunt obtained a college education and became a certfied teacher who has won awards and has a background working with special needs students in particular. So, yes. I have seen people with disabilities pursue education careers. Don't give up your dream Pinkie-Dawn! You sound really smart, and we're rooting for you here!

Back