• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do People With Disabilities Have the Right to Pursue a Teaching Career?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
  • I just graduated from my university yesterday, but it was a bittersweet graduation for me. One of my short-term goals is to get into a career of teaching so I can be financially stable. In order for me to become full-time teacher, I have to enter a credential program from my local university for 1 1/2 years by completing two objectives: a rhetorical essay and an interview. I was denied admission because of my interview. My poor verbal skills did not meet the requirements for the Committee under Executive Order 1032. What they didn't know is that my verbal interpersonal skills was the result of my Autism spectrum disorder (ASD), which one of its three characteristics is communication problems. And according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, individuals with disabilities aren't suppose to be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity that has received Federal financial assistance, conducted by any Executive agency, or conducted by the U.S. Postal Service. My university also has a Student Disability Service to help students and alumni with disabilities achieve their career goals. I told the higher ups of the program about this during my appeal and how I can become a functional teacher with the right support that includes orientation (pre-admission), consistent mentoring and coaching, persistent monitoring, and review. They still decided I wasn't suitable enough to enter the program, thus ending my goal of getting a teaching career (at least until next year). Right now, I am without a job until I'm able to pass the CBEST to take a temporary job as a substitute teacher.

So I ask you guys this: Do people with disabilities have the right to pursue a teaching career, or are we better off working on a minimum wage job like Wal-Mart, which will only result us in being less financially stable?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    "Have the right" isn't really the phrase I'd use.

I feel you were more going for "have the capability to". To which the answer is yes, for at least some of them.

Years
  • I'm sorry, but that would be highly discriminatory and a clear violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act if a person was unable to enter the profession of teaching due to them having a disability.

Years
  • I don't think you were denied because you have a disability. You were denied because the ability to actually communicate with staff and, more importantly, your students is essential in teaching. If your verbal interpersonal skills aren't up to par, of course you're not going to make it through. It's not about a bias against disabilities there, it's about suitability for the job. Work on your communication skills and try again (best of luck when you do!)

I say this as an autistic person who is intending to go into teaching myself and as someone who has worked in a job with similar skill requirements for years. It's not easy to learn the necessary interpersonal skills as an autistic person - but if you work hard at it, you can do it.

This isn't to say that bias doesn't exist. I've dealt with unfair treatment at the hands of lecturers for reasons that could only be narrowed down to autism and age after having my work reviewed by qualified third parties. I just don't think that what you are describing is one of those times. You're not being discriminated against, you just don't meet the requirements of the job right now.

Which brings me to answering your question. The simple answer is that yes, people with disabilities such as autism can absolutely become teachers and have every right to so long as they have the capability to do so.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I agree with the above posts. I believe in merit, so if anyone - disability or not - is capable for the job, then he or she deserves the job.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I don't think you were denied because you have a disability. You were denied because the ability to actually communicate with staff and, more importantly, your students is essential in teaching. If your verbal interpersonal skills aren't up to par, of course you're not going to make it through. It's not about a bias against disabilities there, it's about suitability for the job. Work on your communication skills and try again (best of luck when you do!)

I say this as an autistic person who is intending to go into teaching myself and as someone who has worked in a job with similar skill requirements for years. It's not easy to learn the necessary interpersonal skills as an autistic person - but if you work hard at it, you can do it.

This isn't to say that bias doesn't exist. I've dealt with unfair treatment at the hands of lecturers for reasons that could only be narrowed down to autism and age after having my work reviewed by qualified third parties. I just don't think that what you are describing is one of those times. You're not being discriminated against, you just don't meet the requirements of the job right now. And I believe my verbal skills will stay like that for the rest of my life because that's how I was born as.

Which brings me to answering your question. The simple answer is that yes, people with disabilities such as autism can absolutely become teachers and have every right to so long as they have the capability to do so.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act overrides the Committee's decision though, and I was unprepared for their interview because they never gave me any materials to practice for it such what questions should I expect to asked in order to give out a proper answer. Without it, my verbal interpersonal skills become lackluster. I don't believe my verbal skills will ever improve for the rest of my life because that's how I was born with.

Years
  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act overrides the Committee's decision though, and I was unprepared for their interview because they never gave me any materials to practice for it such what questions should I expect to asked in order to give out a proper answer. Without it, my verbal interpersonal skills become lackluster. I don't believe my verbal skills will ever improve for the rest of my life because that's how I was born with.

It doesn't override their decision. The act doesn't mean they have to employ you or something if you are completely unsuited to the position. It means that they can't deny you the same opportunities as someone based solely on your disability, if you are equally competent.

If you don't believe you can improve you never will. I'm living proof that you can though, you just have to work hard at it instead of making excuses for yourself.

Years
  • Yes and I shouldn't even have to explain it.
    If someone wants to be a teacher they can do it, regardless.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act overrides the Committee's decision though, and I was unprepared for their interview because they never gave me any materials to practice for it such what questions should I expect to asked in order to give out a proper answer. Without it, my verbal interpersonal skills become lackluster. I don't believe my verbal skills will ever improve for the rest of my life because that's how I was born with.

Honest question: how do you expect to teach a class if you cannot adjust to a situation you do not have material for? Like... I can understand why they'd be hesitant after such an interview, there is more to being a teacher than accurately following your own preparation. You have to be able to adjust to situations and people out of your control, and your verbal skills will have to account for that. You have to be able to lead a group of people, however you choose to do so. There are many ways to do this and I am sure there is a way to account for your own hindrances here. Many people in all places on the spectrum go on to teaching! Verbal skills will only improve through placing oneself in situations which test all facets of communication. But the fact remains - you evidently did not prove you were capable of teaching in the manner they require, and I think that this solely comes down to you as opposed to discrimination on their part. That being said, if you think these people have discriminated against you, I would make sure that is the case as I would never want to give advice while unknowingly telling you to go up against a group of people who do not have you on equal ground. But I still think the overall issue falls on you.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Agree with above, all people deserve the same opportunity.

It's unfortunate that you didn't get the job, and I hope you do get it next time! But unfortunately, as others have stated, this is less discrimination and more inability to meet the requirements. Teaching does require very good communication skills. But that doesn't mean you can't do it! Since you have a year, going to speech therapy could really benefit you and improve your ability to speak when prepared, and public speaking classes could help you even further by improving your cognitive ability to create speeches on the fly.

As Her said, if you truly think this was a case of discrimination, then I would recommend an investigation into it. However, if you don't think that and you do believe it was simply a result of ASD making it harder for you to speak, I would recommend just working on speaking as much as possible for the next year so that you absolutely nail the second interview. Good luck! <3

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    If someone can do a job well, then he should be able to do it, it's that simple.
    I mean, you don't need to be able to walk to teach french for example.
    For your personal situation, if you know you can teach as well as anyone, then you have all the right to complain, and fight for it.
    Additionally, for people who cannot do the job that they want society should support them so they don't live in the edge of society, people shouldn't be punished for stuff they don't control.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Everyone has the right to try for a job, and, as a person with Dyspraxia, I fully understand the need to be considerate in hiring, however, you do not have a right TO the job, only the right to try.

Your case is noteworthy here because you say you have issues with communication. Communication is the key thing in teaching, hence why you did not get the position on the course. That's not to say you will never get the job, but you need to understand that certain jobs require certain skill sets. I could likely never get a job as a bus driver because my Dyspraxia wrecks my perception of distance/depth. I could still drive, I can technically drive, but I'm always going to be at a disadvantage to someone who's ability to drive isn't dictated by a disorder/disability. Does that make sense?

Also there's nothing wrong with working in retail, some of the hardest working, most decent people I've ever known are retail workers and I'd be honoured to work alongside such people.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • This shouldn't even be a debate. I'm actually disgusted this exists.
    Anyway, anyone has the "right" to pursue a teaching career, disability or not. It doesn't freaking matter. Disabilities don't make anyone less human, or capable of a career. jesus christ. And jsyk, there's services for people w/disabilities who need help finding a career, so, yeah, this isn't even up for discussion.

Watch that tv movie Front of the Class and get back to me if you think otherwise.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't know about this. Obviously having a disability doesn't automatically prevent you from having a career, but it's completely possible that it might limit your options.

Of course, I'm aware of this. Doesn't mean it eliminates a person's ability to get a career altogether if one is disabled.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I don't know about this. Obviously having a disability doesn't automatically prevent you from having a career, but it's completely possible that it might limit your options.

But didn't you previously told me that my poor verbal skills isn't a limitation when I told you it is, because of my disability?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • My response to OP.

It's up to you.

I work in an industry where my communication skills are paramount. Every day I'm dealing with hostile people and it's my job and the job of those around me to deescalate the situation and make sure the scene is safe for everyone around me. I've been called every name in the book, I've been bit, spit at, punched stabbed, and yelled at, and I've been able to stay calm, not close up, and remember my training.

I have Asperger's, well, what used to be Asperger's is now no longer it's own syndrome and is combined with ASD. But I've dealt my entire life. And from what you're describing, it's most likely the same with you, or at least similar, less sensory more social.

It's up to YOU to make the effort to build on the communications skills. Do not use ASD as an excuse. Do not use it as a crutch to get through life. You need to make an effort if you really want this career to work out. As a kid I went through social counseling, I involved myself in groups and teams, etc, that tested my limitations. I did everything from sports to knowledge bowl. Theater, debate, film. I took law enforcement classes, training as a police explorer specializing in hostage negotiation and training with actual negotiators. I volunteered everywhere and at any opportunity I could get. I've helped train SWAT teams as a roleplayer for scenarios. I met a president and a first lady volunteering at a local disaster that happened many years ago. (Bush, if that shows my age too much, ha) I ahd three jobs throughout high school. I was homeless for a year and survived on my own.

What I learned? Fake it 'til you make it, and if you want something to happen, you have to work your ass off for it.

Now I have a successful career and run a non-profit organization. I own a food shelf with multiple additional programs, Adopt a Family, AIDS Relief, Meals On Wheels, etc.

I am by no means 'cured' of it. I still deal with it every day, I'm sure I annoy those close to me because I'm constantly worrying if I did 'something wrong' as that's one of my issues with insecurities from being an aspie. But as far as my career is, I am DAMN good at what i do. And I know it, and I'm confident in it because I know I have experience that I've built a solid foundation for nearly ten years.

You need to build around and be aware of your own limits; how to push them or when not to. It seriously pisses me off when people use it or label it as a disability. Yes, some have things worse than others. But if you're seriously considering careers and such, most likely you're not on the more severe side of the spectrum. I have seen people with true disabilities that cannot function in a normal career, that will never live a 'normal' life. If you have successfully gone through school, even been considered for this teaching thing, then you are not one of them. Be grateful in that.

You can always try again, get re-evaluated when you are more prepared. Though, sadly, you might have shot yourself in the foot in this one by expecting special considerations. Saying nothing about it would have been your best chance.

EDIT: To clarify. I am very black/white on these issues.

It's a pet peeve of mine, so I'll obsess over it a bit. It annoys me to no end when people use a so-called disability as a crutch or an excuse to not try something or to just give up. To me it's laziness and inexcusable.

Last edited:
    Back