• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sports General Sports Chat. All Sports Welcome

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Djokovic retired from his match, so it looks even more likely that Federer wins this.

Years
  • Djokovic retired from his match, so it looks even more likely that Federer wins this.

On the side note, we did at least get an American representative in the semis with Sam Querrey. Shame it came at the cost of Murray.

Anyways, semi-finals are Federer vs Berdych and Querrey vs Cilic.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • A little disappointed that Konta lost to Venus but she did very well to make it to the semi-final.

Venus Williams is 37. Impressive class to reach another final.

Years
  • Anyways, Federer vs Berdych is getting underway... I have a feeling how this one's going to go.

The winner faces Cilic in the final!

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Interesting Final, Venus vs Muguruza, experience vs youth.

Seems like youth has the edge rn, Venus lost the First Set & trailing 0-2 in the Second, will be difficult for her to come back from here.

Pika Pika :chu:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Boy, Venus got smoked. Shame.

Yeah. Garbi's young age got her in the end. Muguruza also made history for being the only player to beat both Williams sisters at a Grand Slam final, so well done to the young Spaniard.

Anyways, tomorrow it's time for the real final which is Federer vs Cilic... and I have a feeling whose side everyone will be on.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Federer definitely has the edge on paper, he has the experience factor, hasn't dropped a single set, playing some great tennis recently, beat some good quality opponents on his way to the Finals. He does have this knack though of starting strong, but faltering towards the end over the last few years, so he'll have to finish this early, if possible in straight sets.

As much as I'd want to see Federer win, I'd say Cilic definitely has more than just an outside chance of pulling off the upset.

Should make an interesting final, even if isn't a Big Four showdown.

Years
  • That it, guys! Federer wins Wimbledon title No. 8 with straight sets win over Cilic 6-3 6-1 6-4.

I do wonder if anyone saw Cilic's mental scare though? That pressure definitely got to him in the end.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Cilic seemed to be limping slightly during parts of the match and the match got away from him especially in the second set.

There is no shame in losing to one of the greatest players of all time.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Okay, I think I was looking too much into it, turned out pretty one-sided in the end. I wanted a better match for the final. Cilic did seem to be in discomfort throughout, but what a performance by Roger. This should establish him as the greatest of all time & I'm not just talking numbers. He is a class apart & I don't think he's done yet, he can still go on for a few more years.

Years
  • I was watching the match live and I can tell you that when I heard Cilic was getting a medical timeout, I was definitely concerned when I found out that the last time a player retired with injury in a Wimbledon final was over 100 years ago. Perfect injury retirement-free streak has been a thing in the finals since then.

Thank god Cilic decided to keep playing on despite obviously feeling in a terrible state mentally due to the pressure of finals tennis nearly getting to him. He may not have won in the end, but definitely won respect from the crowd for not giving up.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Federer is great. Didn't lose a single set in the entire tournament.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • And if I recall correctly, Bjorn Borg was the last player to achieve that feat at Wimbledon.

Shows why he is a G.O.A.T. indeed.
    Yep, that's right & he's the only one to have achieved that in the open Era.

At least Cilic achieved a near impossible feat by deciding to continue, turn the center court against Federer. But I guess they just wanted him to extend the match, they were always rooting for Federer to win.

Its never a good sight though to see a sportsman crying. Felt very bad for Cilic.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Missed both of the finals, but congrats to Muguruza and Federer! I heard both of them did great there, which is cool. I'm especially happy for Federer there.

Back