• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle animations: on or off?

Years
  • Do you keep your battle animations on or off in the main series games? I keep mine on for the first playthrough and (usually) off for subsequent playthroughs, especially for early gen games, since it speeds battles up which I've already experienced. Especially true for challenge runs, which I do for the thrill of trying new things more than experiencing battle motions all over again.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i keep them on. there are a few exceptions tho like the time i was playing platinum and had caught and evolved a male ralts and it took me forever to find him in the first place and my game fucking froze so i had to spitefully restart and find a new ralts. i turned off animations for that + grinding him back to where the other one was before i lost him. annoying af

also any time i play DP, which is rare anyway, i turn off the battle animations. u kno why

Years
  • It never really crossed my mind to have them off, so I've always kept them on. :x I like seeing the animations, personally.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I always leave them on, as I never even bother to go into options to turn them off. It would be weird to not see moves do anything animated wise, you know?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    After an initial playthrough I actually turn them it's a hassle enough for me to grind and having battle animations on just makes the process even slower and my super distracted brain can't handle that lmao

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I got weird'ed out when I turned it off once.
    But I turn it off when I was playing Silver on an emulator because it's much faster to train since you can speed things up as well hah.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I like seeing the animations! By default they're on for me.

But there have definitely been times where I've turned them off for grinding purposes. If I know I'm going to be fighting the same exact Pokémon for a long while and there's no chance of seeing anything new, I'll turn 'em off and get through the battle as fast as possible.

Sirfetch’d

I don't think I've ever actually turned them off. I know it would speed up shiny hunting but it's just not something I've ever bothered with

Years
  • its always off whenever I grind. turning it off for the whole game is just a wasted feature. the animations are like, the essence of battling hahaha.

Back