• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Got Away Safely!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • i never understood why it says 'got away safely' bc if i'm running from a wild pokemon it's because i'm too strong so if anything, THEY'RE the one that got away safely, not me.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Depends on the Pokemon really. Like I always run from Zubats lmao.

Sirfetch’d

Early in the game I typically faint everything I encounter because Pokemon grow so quickly and the young Pokemon on my team really benefit from early advantages but later on I usually just end up running unless it's a Pokemon that yields good experience or something. If I feel like I'm starting to fall behind though I will take some time to grind a bit on wild encounters.

Years
  • I always run away from a wild Pokemon encounter and the only time I don't run away is when I want to catch a Pokemon I do not have.

Years
  • i fight wild pokemon which is within 5 levels of my primary pokemon. i have... some weird habit when playing pokemon hahaha. helps level them up. but if they're not within the 5-level gap then I will flee

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I try to make it a point to faint everything I encounter.

Years
  • Very often. I really only train on them in the very beginning of the games, where the experience earned makes more of a difference. But after a badge or two into the game I mostly stick to battling trainers and wild Pokémon only if they're ones I haven't caught yet and want to add to the dex.

Years
  • That depends. Post game I defeat a lot of wild pokemon in battle to obtain certain evs or to make a chain while shiny hunting with certain methods like the dexnav.

In the main story I face my fair share of wild pokemon early game for the experience. As Sheep said, after the 1st or 2nd gym I tend to feel more secure about the level of my pokemon, and will usually opt to dodge wild pokemon if I am not going to catch them. Since I meet eyes with every trainer I can find all of the trainer battles are usually sufficient to keep us in shape without additional time-consuming confrontations with wild pokemon that don't yield much exp.

There are exceptions though. If I catch a pokemon that I really like then I will sometimes stop story progression for a little while to level grind with that pokemon and help catch him up to where the rest of the team is. It has to be a pokemon I am really excited about and think has a bright future on my team, but when I find that special mon I will work to get them some wild pokemon to battle to help them grow. It just is so worth it to have a psuedolegendary for instance on the team.

I also try to get my whole team some extra levels in before the pokemon league. We tend to do a lot of wild pokemon battles on Victory Road together after we have finished fighting all the trainers. I want to be ready for the Elite Four.

When I am doing a monotype and there are gyms that I have a disadvantage against I also tend to put in overtime.

So I would say I'd say there are definitely situations where fighting wild pokemon has it's uses.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pretty much always if I don't care to get into wild battles. Like, I'm not going to bother fainting low-level wild Pokemon because a lot of the time the EXP that they give is too insignificant to even matter, so I don't really bother. =P

These days, as I'm searching around just to faint wild Chansey for level grinding purposes, I just run away from things that aren't Chansey and/or Scyther. Saves me time.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Usually only when the wild Pokémon don't offer many exp points in accordance to the level of my team at the time

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • I don't usually battle wild Pokémon anymore, so I guess pretty often? But then I also use a lot of repels, so the encounters aren't very common.

Back