• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

come up with at least five good things about your least favourite pokemon games

Years
i know it's way easier said than done, but I challenge all of you: I know there's a reason why your least favourite Pokemon games are they way they are, but are you able to come up with five positive things, as well? are you able to recognize your least favourite Pokemon games past their flaws and see the good that they bring to the table?

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
HMmmmmm

LGPE do an excellent job of simplifying the main series formula
The capture mechanics are a fun diversion
Partnerchuvee was an interesting and cool inclusion
Master Trainers are an amazing concept that I hope returns
Green is adorable

Most of my problems with LGPE aren't the features themselves, but rather implementation. While the capture mechanics are really cool, they are just too important to leveling to be fun. Stuff like that. Oh and Kanto is still hot garbage after 20 years, but it certainly could be worse.

Years
rby:

• while they didn't age particularly well, it can still be fun to play through every now and again
  • lack of natures and I believe IVs and EVs really take me back to the days when things were much much simpler, other broken battle mechanics excluded
  • partner pikachu in yellow version is actually fun to be around tbh
  • really good soundtrack for its time and some of it still slaps to this day
  • glitches are probably really fun to exploit years later
this was actually kinda hard to do!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
cracks my knuckles @ diamond/pearl...

- physical/special split was severely needed to make some pokemon actually decent and give types more variety.
- i never got to use it this gen, but wifi trading was a huge blessing, esp at this time bc so many people were disinterested in the franchise it felt like. so you no longer needed to have a buddy or an extra console + game lying around to trade and such.
- honestly bring back pokeball stickers bc that shit was fun af.
- some of the best music in the franchise, period. dialga/palkia's battle theme, the lake music, the lake trio battle theme, champion battle theme, That One Route y'all know what i'm talkin bout (please know bc idk the route number).
- rotom, togekiss, cherrim, drifloon, mismagius.

okay yeah that was hard lmao. i actually really like platinum, which is why i didn't include it, but. u kno.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Red, Blue & Yellow:
*The beginning of the series.
*Had some cool Pokemon. Ditto! Slowbro! Eevee! Magikarp! (Um, it sounds like this list is at least partially sarcastic, but nope, I love all these Pokemon!)
*Speaking of Pokemon, Mewtwo. It's not my favorite legendary, but it's somewhere on the list, and with all of the fascinating legendaries they've introduced throughout the gens I think that's an accomplishment worth celebrating. (Side note - I understand the love for anime Mewtwo, of course I do, but I feel like the game version is underrated.)
*It seems disingenuous to put this here, seeing how it wasn't intentional, but some of the glitches are awesome. You can get a Mew in Cerulean City! Or any other Pokemon!
*Finally, Bill turning into a Pokemon. It is something I find disproportionately amusing. :boogie:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald:

- Abilities and Natures, for sure. Great change.
- While many of the designs are trash, imo, the ones that landed are phenomenal. Milotic and Jirachi will always be top runners for me.
- I love the fact that you can straight just miss out on the Master Ball if you wanted, lmao.
- It did have e-Reader support so that's cool. Would have preferred being able to trade / battle across previous generations but whatever.
- I like how it was the first real upgrade in graphics we got for Pokemon (and 60 FPS wooo). No one can say it didn't look good compared to its predecessors.

Years
This is a cool idea, a very positive thread.

SM/USUM

*It had some solid pokemon in there. I loved Mimikyu

*Team Skull has some catchy music

*From a design standpoint I like Lusamine. In fact the whole family have pretty cool-looking designs.

*It was interesting to see classic pokemon get new looks, typings and abilities via Alolan forms.

*Being able to defend your title as champion is a cool idea, long overdue

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I think the hardest for me is figuring out what my least favorite generation of the games actually is. Well, I'll settle for gen 2, since I like ragging on about it so much.

- introduced a lot of mons I really like, including my favorite Pokemon of them all
- had two regions, so more places to explore
- still had some of the interesting TM restrictions that gen 1 had (but to a lesser extend)
- introduced shinys
- it still gave you some choice as to where to go next (less linearity than gen 3+)

Years
D/P/Pt:

- The physical/special split was one of the most important changes to Pokemon battles, and I almost find it hard to go back to any older games that don't feature attacks in the same way
- Sinnoh is one of the most beautiful regions to explore, with lots of different settings (snow, swampland, forests, water routes, canyons, etc.) that made the region feel a lot bigger than it really was
- The fourth gen brought a bunch of new evolutions/pre-evolutions to older Pokemon, making certain lines finally feel complete instead of like they were missing a step somewhere
- Taking the franchise online was a huge step forward, letting us trade, battle, and play with people from all over the world
- You can carry an infinite amount of items in your bag, which was a welcome change, since even gen 3 limited the amount of items you could hold, which meant you had to pick and choose what you actually needed, and what you were saving for a rainy day

User Anon 1848

1. B/W had an interesting story and unique rival.
2. B2/W2 had a ton of post-game content.
3. They did a great job of making the gym leaders important characters to the story.
4. These games introduced reusable TM's.
5. B2/W2 had a nice variety of Pokemon to catch if you weren't too keen on Unova's native dex.

X/Y:

1. The transition to 3D was a godsend after the fuglyness of gen 5's 2.5D pixelated sprites.
2. Friend safaris
3. They made competitive breeding and training much easier which is nice for those of us who don't like to hack/cheat to get good Pokemon.
4. Trainer customization.
5. Pokemon-Amie.

ORAS:

1. The graphics.
2. Being able to surf on a Kyogre
3. Being able to catch a Mythical Pokemon in the base game. Screw events!
4. I like most of the remixed OST's I guess.
5. Being able to fly over the world hub on your Latias/Latios.

Super Mystery Dungeon:

1. It had the best soundtrack of any Pokemon game and the music box was much appreciated. I wish all Pokemon games had a music box that you could access from the menu.
2. Being able to rescue actual real life players from dungeons via wifi was an awesome idea even if I never got to test out that feature.
3. The graphics are beautiful.
4. I found the game to be decently challenging for the most part, especially on my first playthrough where I didn't max out my stats with vitamins.
5. Being able to choose your starter rather than having to settle for whatever Pokemon your quiz results chose for you.

Gen 7:

1. No more need for HM slaves.
2. Guzma's theme.
3. The Alolan forms of older Pokemon were pretty neat and it allowed Marowak to be somewhat viable in competitive battling for a while.
4. They gave us a break from the traditional gym leader formula.
5. The tropical scenery is nice.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
i'm gonna crack at XY here too bc this one will be even HARDER to do. lol

- introduced fairy type which has quickly become my favorite along with fire. is it because the pokemon are cute? is it because the type is represented by pink? is it the fact they are super effective against dragon? idk. i just think they're neat.
- wonder trade quickly became one of my favorite features in pokemon games altogether. i hope it makes it into every iteration that comes after bc it's so fun and it's a great way to give some good pokemon you don't necessarily need to people that might have need for them.
- trainer customization is really fun and hopefully will improve over time with each new generation of pokemon.
- malva. that's it. malva.
- had an amazing range of pokemon you could have on your team, even very early on in the game. BW2 had set the standard pretty high imo, but XY did it better and reset the bar for how a region's pokemon diversity should be.
- pokemon amie!!!!!!!!!! i can PET!!!!!! PETILIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okay maybe that was easier than DP whoops but hey. lol

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
SM/USUM probably rank at the bottom for me.

1. The tropical setting is pretty great. I wasn't a fan of the actual layout of the map, but the setting is definitely one of my favorites.

2. Primarina is probably my favorite water starter; I love it's design quite a bit.

3. A few of the totem battles were actually challenging.

4. HMs are officially gone!

5. Lusamine is best girl. (design-wise at least, lol)

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
X/Y:

1. Trainer Customization was introduced. This made the game feel a lot more personalized, and not like I'm just filling the role of some already pre-determined character, but just a different Pokemon team.

2. The Pokemon anime for the X/Y era was epic.

3. The Fairy type. It was honestly a good implementation, considering how annoying Dragons are, and how lackluster Poison types were until the type was introduced. It also brought on a lot of more creative Pokemon, if you ask me. We got Pokemon like Flabebe, Sylveon, and Klefki, to name a few that I really like.

4. Pokemon-Amie was adorable, and gave people something to do if they didn't want to battle. It's also nice that Pokemon can visit yours when Pokemon-Amie is idle, and give you presents. Also the affection mechanic, while absolutely broken, was really nice.

5. PSS was the best wireless/wifi interface Pokemon has ever seen, and it's a shame it didn't carry over to Gen 7.

Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Jan 26, 2020
gen 4

1 nice rival

2 my favorite fossil pokemon bastiodon was in this gen

3 shiny starraptor reminds me of that one r/sbubby post (Microsoft edgy)

4 piplup is nice. I have a blue penguin webkinz that I named piplup

5 THE ALMIGHTY LLAMMA STUCK IN A FENCE!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years
RBY

1) Its success brought us better games.
2) Mew and Mewtwo really felt like THE LEGENDARY Pokémon, something that newer legendaries lack.
3) The original anime series is great.
4) Some of the TMs and movesets created really interesting sets on VC.
5) Team Rocket is probably the best villain team so far.

LGPE

1) It showed us how much is GF out of touch with fans.
2) Partner Pokémon's customization is great, even when it looks dorky sometimes.
3) Green is canon now.
4) HMs were replaced with so much better thing than PokéRide.
5) Easy shiny hunting brought new people to shiny hunting.

Back