• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Off The Menu [Workshop]

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
  • *wheezes* Who's ready for some updates?

- The Guest List is now in the OP, along with a new ability called "Ordering Takeout" ... hm, I wonder what that could be?
    - Changed how missions are given out: your character needs to accept them in-character, shifting the first-come-first-serve system to be in-character versus out-of-character.
    - Updated Dress Code in Appearance section.
    - New Moveset rules: I'm removing the "under or at lv. 30" imposition, meaning you can pick from any move your particular species can learn at any time (each one will need a description of how you plan on using it, however.) Also, I am banning the use of TM moves and only allowing one Egg/Tutor move in addition to 3 normal species moves.
    - A revamped set of Rules!
    - Lots of new information in the FAQ: Mega-Evolutions, "Seasonings and Utensils," Names, Job detail, Feral Pokemon, the 50's aesthetic, and giving credit to Ech for their wonderful pictures!
    - And other various tweaks to both grammar, format, etc.​

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    Be sure to tell Ech how great and wonderful and sexy they are while you enjoy the full pictures:

EVERYONE WORSHIP ME SO I CAN USURP KIYO AND ACTUALLY POST THE OOC

I will say, I miss seeing the pose of PJ falling on his face, though. :p

Well, I mean, if there's enough demand for a lewd of PJ in a pratfall... o///o

ECH DRAW A CADBURY GIJINKA NUDE

Sure, right after I do a stereogram of Kiyo's dumb 3d-fetish panda as a futa.

god, what have i become...

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Y E S S S S S

I'm surprised every time you remodel the OP so thoroughly, I'm always convinced it's perfect! But this is a beautiful update; all the new mechanics mesh perfectly with one another and the amount of comprehensive detail will no doubt make for a reliable resource.

Aaaah, Ordering Takeout is so dastardly! Players are going to slaughter each other! Ahahahaha!

Thank you for including status effects and held items as a distinct mechanic, by the way! The names are super cute! I might just put a dessert-y spin on things in Cadbury 2.0 joins the main cast.

I definitely appreciate the fleshed-out FAQ, though keeping it explicitly as a FAQ might make it more accessible...? That's purely subjective, though.

Alternatively, if a fan wins, they can choose who gets it!
    (flashbacks)

K I Y O

M A K E T H I S

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • DRAW A CADBURY GIJINKA NUDE

Conjoined_Fatty.png

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Well, I mean, if there's enough demand for a lewd of PJ in a pratfall... o///o
    Not what I meant, but now that you bring it up.......
    *wheezes* Who's ready for some updates?
    I gots some more questions!

How might the Pickup ability work in a setting like this? Would I just run into an extra Utensil once in a while?

May I request dibs on the Romcom Intrigue Plot or is that not how it works?

We get kicked with no chance of returning if we take more than 8 days to make a post. My question is, how will this work if I'm waiting on someone else to post, so that I can post in response to them? I could very easily see the potential situation where I wait up for someone slower than I, and end up getting taken down WITH them because we BOTH crossed the 8 days limit, even though I was eager to write my next one.

I'm not familiar with Cornered on the Market and this setting makes frequent references to it. Anyone wanna give me the cliff notes?

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    Not what I meant, but now that you bring it up.......

you-want-it-you-got-it.jpg

ordinaryOddball said:
    How might the Pickup ability work in a setting like this? Would I just run into an extra Utensil once in a while?

We get kicked with no chance of returning if we take more than 8 days to make a post. My question is, how will this work if I'm waiting on someone else to post, so that I can post in response to them? I could very easily see the potential situation where I wait up for someone slower than I, and end up getting taken down WITH them because we BOTH crossed the 8 days limit, even though I was eager to write my next one.

Advocating for Kiyo, because he officially made me co-GM as payment for my mad MS paint skillz lololol.

Abilities probably work more passively and subtly influence the character's own traits -- it'd be pretty strange to just apply abilities strictly as a game gimmick because you're no longer able to really write around that feat outside of its intended purpose. I can't imagine it being too difficult to just translate the Pickup ability into a quirk and just have your spiffy character meticulously pick up trash off the floor to keep it clean or politely give back people's belongings that they may have dropped or forgotten.

And I don't think you have to really to worry about getting kicked if you're waiting for someone, especially if you address your predicament to the GM anyway -- Kiyo's a nice guy. But to be honest, given how this RP is just as competitive as it is cooperative, your character should have a variety of options available to them so they're never left in a scenario where they're just waiting on something outside certain events orchestrated by the GM, in which case, that'd be Kiyo's fault, not yours.

ordinaryOddball said:
    I'm not familiar with Cornered on the Market and this setting makes frequent references to it. Anyone wanna give me the cliff notes?

here's a somewhat helpful video some flake made in his mom's basement

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    well-played fox ������
    ordinaryOddball said:
    That'd be cool if Pokemon with Pick Up could carry more than one utensil. I remember in the games, starting in Black & White, if an opponent consumed an item in battle and a Pokemon with the Pick Up ability wasn't carrying an item himself/herself, they'd "pick up" whichever item the opponent used at the end of a turn. Might me mis-remembering?
    Honestly, I don't think you need to know that much; it'll mostly be the embittered players reminiscing on the better days, rofl.

Here's the overview, though: The annual Summer Festival is sprung to go underway in the city of Jubilee, a place inhabited entirely by Pokemon as humans enigmatically abandoned it many years before. A small number of these inhabitants arise at the crack of dawn to attend to duties at one of two rivaling corner stores: Spirited Away, property of Castiel, a self-satisfied and only slightly intimidating Mismagius, and Forget-Me-Not, managed by the high-flown Florges, Amaryllis. Both store owners are deeply paranoid of the other's off-putting similarity, seeing one another as a prominent threat to their profitability, and are busy plotting all sorts of schemes for their employees to carry out in order to get a leg up on the competition. Of course, the festival brings with it its own excitement, and the employees will have to juggle keeping their overseers impressed and satisfying their ambitious stratagems as well as appeal to the needs of customers, though we never got that far.

But, yeah! Pokemon got hurt. We made some stands. Someone got arrested. Someone died. It was a buttload of fun while it lasted, though of course I'm disappointed we couldn't have at least gotten the stores open before our GM just kind of... got pregnant and left.

If you search "Cornered On the Market" on the Roleplay Stage, I'm sure you can find it, in case you want to read some of the in-character posts. Mine weren't that good

wait what THE FUCK I JUST GOT NINJA'D

AND ECH'S RESPONSE IT BETTER

REEEEEEEEEEE

Acknowledging what Ech posted, he made a very nice point about the link between abilities and idiosyncrasies, so kudos.

Last edited:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • every time you remodel the OP, I'm always convinced it's perfect!

0a31d08fe93a530c1ed14e7defe81347.gif

I'm making an effort to make all the mechanics focused on theme since I think a lot of the ideas I have for this RP revolve around secrecy and subterfuge, and working hard to twist things in your favor. But thank you, it means a lot! Sorry it's taking so damn long to gather all my GM materials and me personally to be comfortable enough to officially release this.

I think the only significant change left to make is adding of the Guests who will be the focus of The Guest List (or at least those will be present at the start of the RP, since some won't arrive until specific times.)

Ordering Takeout is so dastardly! Players are going to slaughter each other!

Or at least I hope they do! I was a little worried that people might get too lovey-gushy that they wouldn't screw eachother over, but my little GM commentary in there should hopefully get the ball rolling!

Also, I think it's even more dastardly to be forced to use your takeout as a beneficial effect.

Thank you for including status effects and held items as a distinct mechanic, by the way!

No problem! It was a mechanic that was always mentioned but never really fleshed out, so hopefully no one will be confused later.

keeping it explicitly as a FAQ might make it more accessible...?

I thought skinning it as the Menu and shortening the font'd statements to topics instead of literal questions (especially since there's a link on the top of the post that redirects one to it as the FAQ anyway) made it more accessible, actually. Since if I wanted to specifically look for the section on "Aging," I could easily spot it out instead of scanning every question trying to look for something similar. It also shows more readily what topics haven't been covered or discussed.

Abilities probably work more passively and subtly influence the character's own traits

I do have a FAQ on this, too! Ech pretty much nailed it, though.

Code:
    Abilities and Natures. These things can be easily incorporated into your character's descriptive quirks or dispositions. For instance, I integrated Trumbeak's Keen Eye ability into Carmine by saying he "has a keen sense of eyesight."

But to clarify, implying that Cadbury has Pickup wouldn't give him any actual bonus or manipulate the set perimeters of the game. Implied abilities are just something that you demonstrate in the quirks and personality of your character, an aspect that I highly encourage!

May I request dibs on the Romcom Intrigue Plot or is that not how it works?

Despite some differing ideas that I've expressed throughout the thread while developing the RP, no, that is not how it's going to work. I'm glad you've got an interest in that one, though! :)

how will [inactivity kicks] work if I'm waiting on someone else to post?

This is something that happened in Cornered too, so don't worry, these kinds of situations are something I understand! We'll deal with them as they appear, but I wouldn't sweat it if you just keep up communication with me. And you won't get dropped like a hot potato the second you past 8 days.

I'm not familiar with Cornered on the Market and this setting makes frequent references to it.

It really won't. There may be some "celebrity appearances" or small jabs to it, but that RP won't affect this plot in any real way. Dislcosed outlined it really well, though, and if you're curious, give the RP itself a read!

Well, I mean, if there's enough demand for a lewd of PJ in a pratfall... o///o
    Sure, right after I do a stereogram of Kiyo's dumb 3d-fetish panda as a futa.
    hot vanilluxe nude xxxxx

giphy.gif

See, this behavior is why I can't take you guys anywhere nice.

Fuck you all this is why im not joining

I hope I didn't upset you.

Fox, stop scaring my children and get out.

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • I'm gonna purposely ignore Cadbury the zigzagoon
    "Don't take me seriously" I can get, but I was real confused by this bit, given a Zagzagoon hasn't been mentioned (except in my Linoone childhood obvs)
    Code:
    Abilities and Natures. These things can be easily incorporated into your character's descriptive quirks or dispositions. For instance, I integrated Trumbeak's Keen Eye ability into Carmine by saying he "has a keen sense of eyesight."

But to clarify, implying that Cadbury has Pickup wouldn't give him any actual bonus or manipulate the set perimeters of the game. Implied abilities are just something that you demonstrate in the quirks and personality of your character, an aspect that I highly encourage!
    I'm not sure... Pickup isn't something I can incorporate into a personality, it's more like... perception and luck in finding items. And as you all know, I can't just obtain items of my own volition, that'd be broken -- GMs "give out" items.

The way Pickup usually works is finding a bonus item at random. If you don't want to give out bonus items, I'm at a loss. I mean, just off the top of my head: "Oh, Miss, you dropped this!" but that's still picking up an item so I don't think it escapes your guidelines, not to mention it's even more circumstantial than Switcheroo. I guess I could twist the word's meaning and say that he's talented at picking up on things people talk about, buuuut that might be against the spirit of the Pickup ability.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • I was real confused by this bit, given a Zagzagoon hasn't been mentioned

pst that was the joke bb

Pickup isn't something I can incorporate into a personality, it's more like... perception and luck in finding items.

I disagree; I think Ech provided wonderful examples, and I personally love the idea of Pickup becoming this obsessive quirk of keeping everything NEAT UNT TIDY or being extra fastidious with the appearance of things.

You're thinking way too mechanically about it; you need to make creative interpretations that can apply to a narrative-style game based off of Abilities. Here, I'll make some other examples: instead of Slow Start temporarily halving Attack and Speed (which can't apply to this RP), the Pokemon could have a tough time getting out of a seated position or have an incredibly slow reaction time to pain. Oblivious, an ability that prevents attraction or taunts, can manifest in this RP in the character being completely inept at reading social cues, or having a short attention span. Think to yourself: if Pokemon were real, how would having a certain ability consequently affect their personality, or how would this ability be portrayed in the anime?

that's still picking up an item so I don't think it escapes your guidelines

And a "Utensil" is a GM-given item that has a clearly defined in-game effect and description. The item you describe would not count, and most mundane things would not (like, holding a tray full of food wouldn't suddenly count as a Utensil.) Utensils are special items, and you will be notified if you are holding one.​

Reactions: Ech

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • And a "Utensil" is a GM-given item that has a clearly defined in-game effect and description. The item you describe would not count, and most mundane things would not (like, holding a tray full of food wouldn't suddenly count as a Utensil.) Utensils are special items, and you will be notified if you are holding one.
    Hypothetical situation: Under the justification of "I've got Pickup ability," a player invents an item -- a regular item, not a Utensil, but helpful nonetheless (a dropped wallet, a lost ring, a Pecha Berry, a Werther's Original.) -- a impromptu conceived item to find and grab in their roleplay post. That just sounds to me like stepping over a line of what you ought not do without the GM's say-so. And I certainly don't wanna be that guy!
    I personally love the idea of Pickup becoming this obsessive quirk of keeping everything NEAT UNT TIDY or being extra fastidious with the appearance of things.
    That sounds very befitting of Cadbury, and I would plan to give him that trait! It just... doesn't sound like it relates to Pickup, that's all. You know what I mean? I don't see a clear tie between the concept of Pickup, and fastidiousness or tidiness. Even when I think beyond the mechanics of Pickup to a more roleplay-oriented interpretation (like I've done with my moveset), the concepts of finding goodies and keeping tidy don't seem related to me. So it's hard to... justify that fastidiousness is based off of Pickup.

Which isn't to say that I can't make Cadbury fastidious. That's just something that people are.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • I certainly don't wanna be that guy!

Only items I give you as a GM via event or random chance will count as Utensils because they're specially marked to be able to do something buff-or-intrigue-wise, so none of the examples you provided really stick out. I don't want to stifle your creativity by making you think that if you even touch or create an item it's gonna count. If I feel something you do in-character pushes on Utensil territory, I'll let you know on a case-by-case basis!

It just... doesn't sound like it relates to Pickup

I totally see the connection, personally. I mean you don't have to imply an ability in your character at all; it's not a requirement. Abilities aren't meant to give you in-character benefits/limitations, I'm simply saying that a person can creatively interpret a Pokemon's ability into their character if they so choose.​

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    That sounds very befitting of Cadbury, and I would plan to give him that trait! It just... doesn't sound like it relates to Pickup, that's all. You know what I mean? I don't see a clear tie between the concept of Pickup, and fastidiousness or tidiness. Even when I think beyond the mechanics of Pickup to a more roleplay-oriented interpretation (like I've done with my moveset), the concepts of finding goodies and keeping tidy don't seem related to me. So it's hard to... justify that fastidiousness is based off of Pickup.

You're still only thinking of Pickup and strictly abiding by only its description of just picking up stuff, you're not really thinking beyond that. The ability doesn't literally become the character's trait, it helps develop or influence some of them because it's such an integral part of the Pokémon you play as. Think of it this way and just ask yourself, "how would having this ability affect my life in the long-run?"

Like, I'll use my own character as an example. I'm currently working on a Primarina who uses Liquid Voice, which converts sound-based moves into water-types. She relies on LV for most of her hydrokinetic abilities which compensate for her utter lack of land mobility, being a pinniped and all. Going off both the ability's description as well as the species' affinity for singing, my character naturally became musically inclined and she frequently speaks in a very singsong, melodramatic even, manner since she's so used to singing to basically do...almost everything, really. This isn't a superpower that gives her immediate advantage over others (if anything, she's at a disadvantage since Finer Things probably doesn't care about Water-types), it's just a quirk that accentuates on the fact that we're playing as Pokémon with special characteristics that exist beyond human conventions.

also this doubles as me posting some concept info about my character

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    am i actually your senpai you liar

Honestly, take your time. I struggled GM-ing my old contest roleplay because I hadn't taken all the time necessary to mentally organize my ideas and, ultimately, feel confident in the end result. Which is why I'm calling do-over for the third time. The fact that you've been diligently striving for perfection and so open with your creative process proves you have a sincere grasp of what makes for an effective game master. A lot of what you've exhibited should be exemplified more on these forums.

tl;dr i'm totally ripping you off in the future, kk? Workshop thread master race.

DON'T FORGET THE VINE STAR MACHAMP WHEN YOU'RE MAKING THE GUEST LIST

Also, I think it's even more dastardly to be forced to use your takeout as a beneficial effect.
    Implying Cadbury's Second Coming will ever be genuinely kind to anyone ever, haaa.

remember when i made rina being technically dead a "status affliction"

I thought skinning it as the Menu and shortening the font'd statements to topics instead of literal questions (especially since there's a link on the top of the post that redirects one to it as the FAQ anyway) made it more accessible, actually. Since if I wanted to specifically look for the section on "Aging," I could easily spot it out instead of scanning every question trying to look for something similar. It also shows more readily what topics haven't been covered or discussed.
    ^ I totally agree with all of this, btw. I just needed something to criticize, ok, i have a profile i have to maintain here

Also, I'll contribute a little to the discussion regarding ability integration in that, while I'm playing Cadbury's mostly-literally for probable hilarity's sake, it also acts as a reflection of his personality. He will undoubtedly come across as an egotist but, really, the attitude stems from a severe feeling of weakness.

Back