• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Off The Menu [Workshop]

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years

• Off The Menu [Workshop]

Pure Class
    -or- Slick

𝖎 ∭ 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐤𝐞𝐫

James Cadbury. In butler fashion, he's called by his surname, and his first name is generally never mentioned unless he must state his full name, or it's an intimate situation where he's on a first-name basis.

Surnames are an uncommon thing in this world, but James has one. His father, Cassius Cadbury, was also in the business, as was his father and so on. James shares this classy "family name" to connect him with this family's history of great service.

𝖎𝖎 ∭ 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

Cadbury is a Linoone who has been trained to stand biped, putting him at 3'3". As all Linoone, his half-lidded eyes are entirely blue except for his slit pupils, and brown stripes mark his creamy-furred body, most notably one stripe atop his head that forms an arrow.

He wears a little necktie, bordered by a short waiter's jacket over a white dress shirt. (Usually they are red and blue respectively, but Finer Things has requested a different colour to suit their theme.)

Nothing at all covers his lower body, but no matter. His large white claws have been filed down to a harmless blunt tip. His tail is held up in a shape similar to a squirrel's, and a comb tucked in his pocket ensures his fur is kept well-groomed at any time. James was lucky to have inherited very silky fur from the genes of his father, a rather rare male of the Cinccino species.

𝖎𝖎𝖎 ∭ 𝐑𝐞𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐨𝐢𝐫𝐞

Switcheroo.
    Useful for quickly getting a replacement dish out to someone, or a second order. In a pinch, it may be needed for a stealthy, unscrupulous deed. When done right, this switch of objects can go entirely unnoticed.

Helping Hand.
    Used quite literally toward both fellow staff and toward customers. When Cadbury lends a paw in aiding others, efficiency is increased twofold. Simply put, he is a naturally helpful person.

Odor Sleuth.
    Checking the dish for everything that needs to be there before it hits the table. Sniffing out clues in other situations. Linoone are one of those species good at finding things with their sense of smell.

Charm.
    A sophisticated charisma is used to win over others. It can be used in conversation, in a simple glance, in his posture, or in exceptional presentation when a dish arrives. It's also handy in case he needs to excuse himself out of a mistake he's made.

Yes, this moveset makes Cadbury utterly unable to fight, but that is entirely within his character. He would never use violence, not with his refined demeanour, and he's certainly never had a lick of practice. Expect fancy-boy to get floored if it comes to that.

Off The Menu [Workshop]

𝖎𝖛 ∭ 𝐔𝐩𝐛𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠

James was raised as a young Zigzagoon footman, and as he showed promise, he was groomed for a higher position. He was trained to stand upright, and raised to be polite, respectful, genteel, and serving. His father, Cassius Cadbury, insisted upon this training to stand biped, so James could easily perform duties with his forepaws. Not to mention the much more civilized appearance it lends.

Cassius also insisted young James keep his fur exceptionally groomed at all times. James was lucky to have inherited the same silky fur as his father, and Cassius was not about to let such fine fur go to waste with a disheveled appearance.

These lifestyle choices and this training stuck with Cadbury as he grew. He found his duties as a footman rewarding, and as he matured and gained experience, he became a butler, serving the wealthy and occasionally the famous.

Helping them enjoy themselves through his service is what he lives for.

As recently as a year ago, Cadbury found himself between masters in his butler career, and took notice of a particularly fashionable Bar and Bistro that was just opening its doors. Cadbury had himself a look about the place on what just happened to be its opening day. My, what celebration there was to be had! And the joint was so sophisticated, yet without feeling stiff. Cadbury enjoyed himself thoroughly, and by mid-evening, he'd already made plans to become a regular customer.

That's when he realized they were hiring, and he knew. He knew becoming a server at a place like this would be every bit as fulfilling as working as a butler.

𝖛 ∭ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐦𝐚

Cadbury has impeccable manners, enjoys serving others, and lets his kind heart show through his prim and proper demeanor.

The Linoone speaks formally, and appears to be in his 30s or 40s. He is very refined and genteel, but he's likely to fluster under the right kind of… unprofessionalism. He is by-the-book, comfortable only with the proper procedure, both that his employer has set, and that he considers part of his own lifestyle.

He is fastidious in maintaining a neat-and-tidy appearance, both in himself and his workplace. He is, however, not below delegation of such tasks to others when need be, given how often his job involved equal parts his own labour, and organization of maids and footmen.

And let's see… some of his soft spots include cheesecake and adorable outfits. He's likely to do best in the cigar room, and would also do fine in the foyer, patio, and dining room. Is there anything else you'd care to know?

𝖛𝖎 ∭ 𝐀 𝐒𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐒𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠

Spoiler:

𝖛𝖎𝖎 ∭ 𝐀𝐧 𝐈𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐃𝐢𝐚𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞
    Spoiler:

𝖛𝖎𝖎𝖎 ∭ 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐝 𝐈𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

An envelope sits upon a side-table, sealed with a disk of wax, centered in the spotlight of a desk lamp. It is addressed: "For Cadbury's eyes only."

Last edited:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Here's a picture of my old Cornered Furret Character being excited for Cadbury's chance to enter the universe that I stole from the internet and did not make myself so just pretend ssh:

Off The Menu [Workshop]

I don't think there's anything I'm able to critique right now that we haven't gone over already! Very good job.​

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • By "benefits" I mean that, if you're the one to discover the secret, your character will come upon some sort of benefit at whatever stage they are in within the roleplay. Let's say you crack the secret out of Character X, you as a player are then given a prize like "Cadbury stumbles upon [Beneficial Item] in your next post," or "You get an extra opportunity to play Fate and have something happen to another character in their next post," etc.​
    Oh, I was led to believe that the benefit would be directly related to the NPC. Thank you for explaining.
    Here's a picture of my old Cornered Furret Character being excited for Cadbury's chance to enter the universe that I stole from the internet and did not make myself so just pretend ssh:

Off The Menu [Workshop]
    "A-alright, Miss Furret, I like you too, now please...!"

That's by the same artist who drew the first of the images I used. Keijimatsu!
    I took that inspiration and ran with it for a character, back in 2013, which explains the profile and the OTHER image I showed you (the bowing one), drawn by my friend derFisch.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2018

Thanks for notifying me, Kiyo.

I have a question: Will mega-evolutions be handled in the same way COTM did with that Aggron in the OOC, or is it honestly up to our discretion?

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    "A-alright, Miss Furret, I like you too, now please...!"

THIS IS WHY I DEPICTED CICARO AS SUPER GIRLY WITH THAT EXTRA MASCARA, I DID NOTHING WRONG KIYO

Cicaro is the Pokemon equivalent of a trap, that's why he's the best character ever. please bring him back as the main bad guy

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • THIS IS WHY I DEPICTED CICARO AS SUPER GIRLY WITH THAT EXTRA MASCARA, I DID NOTHING WRONG KIYO

Cicaro is the Pokemon equivalent of a trap, that's why he's the best character ever. please bring him back as the main bad guy
    Ech, the Furret is literally wearing a maid outfit in that image. Mascara ain't the half of it!!

Besides, Cadbury has nuance, he'd call guests by their preferred pronoun regardless of all else. It's [insert OTM campaign date/year], we're progressive.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • "A-alright, Miss Furret, I like you too, now please...!"
    THIS IS WHY I DEPICTED CICARO AS SUPER GIRLY WITH THAT EXTRA MASCARA
    Ech, the Furret is literally wearing a maid outfit in that image. Mascara ain't the half of it!!

Off The Menu [Workshop]

That's by the same artist who drew the first of the images I used. Keijimatsu!

I figured that's where Cadbury was sourced from! I thought he looked familiar from back in the day when I stole used Keijimatsu's art for Cicaro's constantly-changing mugshot.

It's [insert OTM campaign date/year], we're progressive.

This reminds me of something I wanted to bring up. So, obviously, human calendars aren't really a thing anymore, and I've always been a fan of how Paper Mario dealt with the issue of portraying a certain year: using a set of symbols. For example, Off the Menu can take place on ...

Summer 14th,

There. Gives off that air of "human calendars no longer apply, so we're not sure how long it's been since humans disappeared" and "ambiguous, could take place anytime."

Will mega-evolutions be handled in the same way COTM did with that Aggron in the OOC, or is it honestly up to our discretion?

Mega-Evolution can exist so long as your character is in contact with their respective Mega Stone, though I ask that if you choose to be a Mega that you stick to that choice rather than constantly shifting in-and-out of it.​

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2018
    Mega-Evolution can exist so long as your character is in contact with their respective Mega Stone, though I ask that if you choose to be a Mega that you stick to that choice rather than constantly shifting in-and-out of it.​

I'm not gonna be a mega, but I planned on having it in my character's backstory for a background figure. Thanks for clarifying!

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • Ooh can I pipe up here about Megas, suggestion-wise?

So from what we know about mega evolution at current, it triggers when in battle, and my rationalization of this is that it triggers at points when the body is experiencing high stress, exhilaration, stimulation, adrenaline, things of that sort that a good brawl would tick all the boxes on.

But I also think that other activities could trigger it too, like... Like a Lopunny putting on an energetic dance routine for example. With that kind of prereq for mega-stones they still make sense but they can also be used out of battle. (Buuut they can't be used indefinitely because adrenaline doesn't last indefinitely.)

P.S. Yeah I remember the Ship's Log in PM:TTYD went like: Month ★ Day ☓☐
    I don't remember the year ever appearing in any of the games, though.
    Still, I pick up what you're putting down.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I have a question/concern regarding the world of OTM too that I'd like to address before I go any further with Cadbury, Model 2.0's backstory. Specifically, I'm concerned with the level of technological advancement these Pokemon have access to; you stated in the FAQ section of the "OP" that anything "barring cellphones, cars, and the internet" were fair game and to expect things "like landline phones, electricity, and basic infrastructure", but I also know you've referenced the technology as being based in the 40's and 50's outside of the forum, minus televisions--and you may have stated that someplace different in the interest thread; I don't want to seem like I'm accusing you of being f a k e. But I'll advocate for a "bump-up" in the decades, for both selfish reasons related to my character and basic accessibility.

I think a time like the mid-70's when at least basic computers and game systems like Atari existed would be a bit more appropriate, really, for reference's sake. We are playing "modern-minded" characters, so to speak, after all, who are living in our present and I feel, regarding your preferred decades of reference, a huge aspect of that presence would be set back a tad too far.

And then there's also the fact that I envisioned Cadbury obsessing over his collection of retro video games in a frail attempt to omit his building loneliness and dissatisfaction with his own unfulfilled existence.

Of course, if you're still pro-TV-less 50's, I can always give him a record player instead and replace "videotapes" with "vinyls" for the inevitable American Psycho reference.

Actually, while I've notified you, might I ask you review Cadbury's moveset? You seemed a little concerned about him having Blizzard so I went ahead and wrote a little description for it and his three other moves in-addition. Tell me what 'chu think?
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2018
    I have a question/concern regarding the world of OTM too that I'd like to address before I go any further with Cadbury, Model 2.0's backstory. Specifically, I'm concerned with the level of technological advancement these Pokemon have access to; you stated in the FAQ section of the "OP" that anything "barring cellphones, cars, and the internet" were fair game and to expect things "like landline phones, electricity, and basic infrastructure", but I also know you've referenced the technology as being based in the 40's and 50's outside of the forum, minus televisions--and you may have stated that someplace different in the interest thread; I don't want to seem like I'm accusing you of being f a k e. But I'll advocate for a "bump-up" in the decades, for both selfish reasons related to my character and basic accessibility.

I think a time like the mid-70's when at least basic computers and game systems like Atari existed would be a bit more appropriate, really, for reference's sake. We are playing "modern-minded" characters, so to speak, after all, who are living in our present and I feel, regarding your preferred decades of reference, a huge aspect of that presence would be set back a tad too far.

I didn't catch the tech restriction to the decade by Kiyo, but if this is true, I also agree that something like the 40's in terms of accessible tech is a surprising choice. I figured if the only restrictions were cellphones, cars, and internet, it was because 1) there were no able Pokemon who could even upkeep a working wireless connection (let alone network) of cell sites and Internet service, and 2) if people abandoned their towns then they took at least their motorvehicles with them, or they've at least become inoperable after even just a few years without use in garages - and gas stations have either been emptied or have gummed up gasoline from neglect, making them unusable and/or restricted hazards. It all depends on the nature of this abandonment by humans, but I just imagined they weren't apocalyptically wiped, more so they just... migrated elsewhere, taking resources with them. And then nearby wild Pokemon, aware and observant of what was once urban operations curiously wandered in and settled. Then the success of the first all-Pokemon town in operating human resources spread in the Pokemon world, and then there starts these pilgrimages to find and settle other abandoned towns, build models of success, etc.

At least that's what I imagined. I figured the most recent things left behind were more 90's sourced, if only because I imagined it like the Kanto anime-level of tech and import, like it was still "modern" but left at least a decade of disparity between the equivalent of what we players today consider "modern" and advanced. More recent real-world references can be made. Like personally, I was going to have my character when she got to the big city be introduced and influenced by modern marvels like boomboxes and music, VCR and small collections of video-taped cartoons and soaps since broadcast wouldn't be operable (TVs would be a thing just for video), alternative fashion magazines, maybe even slip some homage to Nintendo consoles and games but with Pokemon puns galore. I felt like the 80's and 90's are a comfortable mix of past and present for players to toy with, myself included. It's probably because the impression is when you link tech to an era, it also sets the setting because tech is so influential to way of life that everything builds off of it - and the player tends to think that the best way to portray what's in the past is to mimic mannerisms of the past, too. I mean, we're already mimicking human social structure with Pokemon so it would stand to reason, I think.

Last edited:

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I didn't catch the tech restriction to the decade by Kiyo, but if this is true, I also agree that something like the 40's in terms of accessible tech is a surprising choice. I figured if the only restrictions were cellphones, cars, and internet, it was because...
    Yeah, yeah! I gravitated immediately to stereo systems with my character which is even more recent, lol

I actually really like the logical connection you made between the absence of cellphones, cars, and internet and the related absence of humans. I liked to have the theme somewhat explored during the course of the roleplay.

Also, can you please post your character's prompt response here? Pleeease?
    Who's Kiyo? said:
    Most Likely to Be Kink-Shamed in High School
    ALSO KIYO HOW DOES THE SCHOOL SYSTEM WORK

Does this city have a public school? Private school? Is there higher education? Does it matter!?

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    bringing some private chat talk here but

I really thought by the whole 40's-50's look was only being applied to Finer Things purely for aesthetics. Like, I know a restaurant that emulates the 60's just as a style preference to give off that pizazz. The actual world OTM would still take place in in a similar time period as Cornered. Heck, didn't you say somewhere it took place a few years in that universe?

Personally, I don't have any serious dissent since it encourages me to do some research and that'll help enlighten me on some things I never knew about, like outdated slang. I just mostly want clarification, I guess, since this does make a prominent impact on what I want to do for my yet to be actually written application.

also why am i not being credited, i thought i meant something to you senpai

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I really thought by the whole 40's-50's look was only being applied to Finer Things purely for aesthetics.
    Yeah, I'm certain the decade is only relevant regarding the age of technology available in the world. It doesn't actually apply to the culture itself.

Only slang I'll be using is British and gratuitous.

I promise I'll at least start the prompt responses this evening!!

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • #tfw you were busy yesterday and everyone suddenly decides to question your rp's entire existence at once

Off The Menu [Workshop]

Ooh can I pipe up here about Megas, suggestion-wise?

Bleh, seems like an overly-complicated mechanic for a roleplay that doesn't remotely deal with individual power statistics and something that will have no bearing on the strength of a character. My only prerequisite is having the Mega-Stone on your body somewhere; keep it simple, have no real "end" to when the effect wears off.

the 40's in terms of accessible tech is a surprising choice
    I'm accusing you of being f a k e

# c a u g h t

I haven't gotten around to updating that particular FAQ question with the 40's-50's detail you mentioned. I'll elaborate: as far as OTM's society is concerned, you are absolutely correct in saying that characters are expected to be "modern-minded;" the environment they reside in resembles the social standards of today. I in no way intend for the RP to adopt the social structure or associated fears, bigotry, class systems, and what-have-you of those decades. As for time-period slang (as Ech brought up), I don't mind either way; it's pretty fun if your character uses it but I'm certainly not requiring it or denying the usage of more modern slang. As for when this game takes place in relation to Cornered, it's about a year after the events of that roleplay; I will note that the world has been edited to suit what I personally envision, this "time aesthetic" being the most prominent change.

How this 40's-50's thing applies is when it comes to how everything looks, and it does encompass the entire city and not just the restaurant. Like, if a particular piece of technology exists within the RP, it appears as it did back at that time. For instance, the payphones in the foyer would look like (this) and your local trendy malt shop to be decked out like (this), and journalists would be using cameras like (this). This style also infects fashion, so you can expect the affluent lady customers to sport their hair (if they have it) and wear dresses (or things more fitting of their body shape) like (this) and their gentlemen callers to woo them in clothes like (this). Basically just use your imagination to filter all the buildings, tech, clothes, and music to appear this way.

But this doesn't mean former human culture died in 1959; I actually like Camille's idea of them reaching somewhere around "90's-esc Kanto anime level" (maybe having them just retain the aesthetic of the 50's) before going extinct (in Cornered they were "missing" but could be existing someplace else, I believe in my FAQ I have made them completely extinct and like it better that way.) No one is sure why or how they did, but they weren't apocalyptically wiped out by some disaster. They more slowly and quietly began to disappear, as if they were just migrating to somewhere else, before they vanished completely. After some period of abandonment, Pokemon reclaimed society, and anything they didn't reclaim got overtaken by the Earth as abandoned placed do. I imagine that there's probably some great city in the region that hasn't been touched since and is reminiscent of Bethesda's Fallout franchise, and I'm all about Camille's notions concerning things like eroded facilities becoming "hazard zones." O-la-la.

So yes, things up to that "decade of disparity universe" time - like retro video games and videotapes - did exist and their husks still do, albeit it with more post-WW2 flair. And maybe I was a bit too hasty to say TVs and cars didn't exist; I could be a fan of television shows ("did you see [smarmy such-and-such actor] in [monochromatic 'performed in front of a large studio audience' comedy]? Oh, he's so dreamy!") but I see the predominant mediums being radio, newsprint, and music. Anyone who could figure out how to operate and maintain a car or train could probably make a good business toting around any ground-dwellers that can't learn Fly (I can see them using more biological alternatives to fuel them versus gasoline, or coal-powered trains.) I'll still enforce the no-internet-or-cell-phones-or-modern-computers rule out of personal taste, but for simplicity's and convenience's sake, allow these other amenities to exist.

I will say, however, that I encourage you to get into the grove of the aesthetic, because (at least I think) it's more fun to embrace than struggle against it trying to make more "modern" things work. Like, at least in Camille's case, you can replace boomboxes with street performers or (these) and make the cartoons black-and-white early Tom and Jerry-expy stuff.

Also, the 70's aren't as cool, Blinky. plus i would love an american psycho reference since and there's a record player on the patio

HOW DOES THE SCHOOL SYSTEM WORK

I would say in a big city like this or anything like it, there definitely would something akin to a public or private educational institution - a college too, perhaps. That being said I feel like the huge timeframe discrepancies of physical development between species would put a wrench into the more traditional human approach to schooling, so those places would have to cater to every student's needs individually, making formal education a bit of a luxury. Teaching a certain trade or labor (like Oddy's Cadbury), homeschooling, or a schoolhouse-esc approach to education would be more common in the world as a whole and in less developed places than the city.

might I ask you review Cadbury's moveset?

Thanks for reminding me: I'd like any TM or Egg moves within your moveset to be marked. Otherwise, this is great! I was weary about Blizzard when you first mentioned the idea to me in private, but you've made its effect not as overpowering as I imagined and quite interesting and unique. And I am definitely an advocate for some roleplay chaos, so.

why am i not being credited, i thought i meant something to you senpai

can you hold your fucking horses

I was waiting until I dived into the other updates I intend for the OP to announce it and properly squeeze in credit, but since we're here already, if everybody can take a look at the OP you'll see some fabulous mugshots of Carmine, Lombardi, and PJ Clarke by Ech!

Be sure to tell Ech how great and wonderful and sexy they are while you enjoy the full pictures:

Carmine:
    Spoiler:

Lombardi:
    Spoiler:

PJ Clarke:
    Spoiler:

And if you're wondering "why do Lombardi and PJ have fancy pictures of grapes on them," that is the Finer Things logo!​

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    eat my shorts
    Fine, put your foot down. I don't care. At least we can watch TV now. I think, the more comparable options there are, the more comfortable most players will be, so opening up those options of at least referencing the more recent past is especially appreciable, as well as a point of probable intrigue. I'd be down with a character who owns, or whose parents own, a transportation service of some sort! Maybe a Pokemon with the fabled "last car" in the city who essentially runs a taxi monopoly? Keeping that air of mysteriousness regarding mankind emphasizes the fact that this is, foremostly, a Pokemon roleplay, so I'm very excited about that.

And, of course, I can always get behind a cute aesthetic. I'll admit, the culture of 70's/80's/90's has become a bit hackneyed, haven't they? I can get down with many of the examples you showed. Ha, the idea of a Vanilluxe attempting to manage an old school, wall-mounted phone!

Though, regarding being "modern-minded", I did reach a point when outlining Cadbury's childhood where it was gradually beginning to mirror the growing idolization of the nuclear, patriarchal family and suburban lifestyle in response to the Second Red Scare and Baby Boom during the late 40's. Perhaps I can make the Vanilluxe line especially susceptible to the level of technology around them, to the point where they unwittingly mimic a set of societal standards that are relatively outdated...? Or maybe I can just stop being a pussy and update my involuntary social commentary, lol.

Also, the 70's were totally rad and you are totally wrong. We were using jetpacks in space! Scientists discovered AIDS! There was Pong!!
    Who's Kiyo said:
    That being said I feel like the huge timeframe discrepancies of physical development between species would put a wrench into the more traditional human approach to schooling, so those places would have to cater to every student's needs individually, making formal education a bit of a luxury.
    That's a good point! I did reference public education with Rina back in Cornered, though she had more specialized education before she moved to Jubilee, but I'll be considering schooling more deeply with Cadbury now that, comparatively, I'm spending more time developing how he became the giant, floating frozen dessert he is today.

Actually, somewhat-related to Cornered On the Market, I just want to kiss your ass some more real quick and say that I appreciate how relatively-vague you're keeping the setting. Sounds backhanded, but in-reality, by failing to give the city a defined name or true identity, you both encourage a focus on what matters--Finer Things in-particularly--and for players to really go nuts with their character concepts. Jubilee was a cute setting to base Cornered in but, because of the additional prioritization of the world outside of Spirited Away and Forget-Me-Not, some players' interpretations of the city as being grimmer and more slummier in nature came across as really off-putting. For Off the Menu, I don't see varying perspectives of the setting as being too distracting.

Who's Kiyo said:
    Thanks for reminding me: I'd like any TM or Egg moves within your moveset to be marked. Otherwise, this is great! I was weary about Blizzard when you first mentioned the idea to me in private, but you've made its effect not as overpowering as I imagined and quite interesting and unique. And I am definitely an advocate for some roleplay chaos, so.

I actually have "Blizzard" labeled as being a TM move outside of the descriptions for the actual sign-up. No egg moves here either; Cadbury's lineage is purely of the Vanilluxe line... so he thinks.

But I'm so glad the description helped in Blizzard's case! And fuck yeah, chaos!!

ECH DRAW A CADBURY GIJINKA NUDE Art is amazing as usual! I love fem!Lombardi's biceps!

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
  • And if you're wondering "why do Lombardi and PJ have fancy pictures of grapes on them," that is the Finer Things logo!​
    That's a cool logo, good job!

Off The Menu [Workshop]

I am in a state of wanting a pair of these.

I will say, I miss seeing the pose of PJ falling on his face, though. :p
    Sounds backhanded, but in-reality, by failing to give the city a defined name or true identity, you both encourage a focus on what matters--Finer Things in-particularly--and for players to really go nuts with their character concepts.
    I disagree, I think it would be very helpful if the city had a name. When I want to reference the city in my narration, putting "the city" each time can be clunky, and it's even worse in dialogue. Just having a name for it would be nice.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I disagree, I think it would be very helpful if the city had a name. When I want to reference the city in my narration, putting "the city" each time can be clunky, and it's even worse in dialogue. Just having a name for it would be nice.
    Idk, I still think the "clunkiness" can be averted by just avoiding mention of "the city". Regarding dialogue, most citizens of "the city" wouldn't have much reason to refer to the place where they live anyways, unless they're explicitly describing it which, again, I don't believe is the point. The setting of-focus is our place of work; characters shouldn't get as distracted with the surrounding world.

The fact that this is a nameless city could be a source of satirical comedy as well. Imagine a character phoning a friend or family member faraway and saying something along the lines of, "Yeah, there's never a slow moment in 'the city'. Yes, 'the city'. What else are we expected to call it?"

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Also, the 70's were totally rad. We were using jetpacks in space! Scientists discovered AIDS! There was Pong!!

Ah yes, AIDS. Good thing that happened.

I appreciate how relatively-vague you're keeping the setting
    I disagree

I'm in the Disclosed school of thought, the namelessness of the city is very purposeful; the ambiguity allows players to etch in details where necessary, plus I like - and my main reasoning why I chose this approach - the fact that you can't refer to it directly. It forces you to only be able to passively speak of it as a whole. An unspecific city setting is very versatile and accommodating to a variety of backgrounds as mentioned, and I have seen plenty of fictional texts and movies that get away with not naming things like the main town, or the main character, even. You can refer to made-up places within the city like a "Banking District" or "Sycamore Street," if you need. I'm essentially saying "don't worry about the city, the focus is here" with this decision.

I think the only real detail (defined in Cornered) is that it has a thriving steel industry.​

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Hey, better they figured out where it actually came from than continue to perpetuate that was the "gays fault", eh?

OH YEAH BITCH I WIN SUCK IT GODDEEM DEEZ NUTZZZ

Hmm, if the steel industry's this place's bread and butter, I might make Cadbury's dad a factory worker. I'll probably continue with my concept of Vanilluxe attempting to blend into the mainstream.

Back