• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Essentials Diamond and Pearl Moves & Abilities Project

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
Years
  • How's this project going Lokiferne? I'm having my spring break now so I should be totally free for the following week. I'm also working on the D/P move effect and ability script so please contact me if you need helpers on this project.

;)

mad.array

Eeveelutions... need more...
    Years
  • Hi guys. Real life has been biting me in the a** constantly over the past few months. As with the Pokémon games, when you get bit you tend to flinch. Luckily, life is taking a break (or it's run out of PP and has gone to get an ether). So I'm now going to be able to get back on track. I apologise to those people that I said I was going to get in contact with and never did, I will be with you soon. Take care folks.

mad.array

Years
  • Funny you should say that...

I've been toying with an idea for the past couple of days. With the setbacks I had during the past couple of months, I've been thinking. Should I release what is done now and update much in the same way Poccil does or should I just wait until everything is done and then release? I've decided to ask you guys, seeing as you're the ones it's going to affect. Obviously there are pros and cons to each side (updating being a pain in the ass for example) but if the vote swings one particular way then I'll go with that swing.

As for content updates, it's mostly been background work, I've updated the base code to poccils Jan 9th release (Dear God what a slog that was) but that means that Chatter should be bundled in there nice and snug. That means that every move should now have it's effect. I'll admit to being lazy on the abilities front but that's obviously going to have to change. I'm currently going through the pokemon.txt file as none of the y coordinate/shadow information was included with poccils updated Gen IV file.

So slowly but surely it's coming along, it's just up to you lot now to decide how you want the releases to be handled!!!

Toodles and take care

LokiFerne

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
  • May as well release what you have now and update later. Those uninterested in updating can just skip early versions, yes?

Just wanted to say, though, that I really appreciate all your hard work. This is exactly what the game development scene needs. Props to you.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    It depends how much you have left to do. According to the first page, mainly all that's needed is to test everything.

I know we're all eager to get the results of this project, but it may just be better to wait until it's all nice and done.

mad.array

Years
  • Hi guys,

For those of you that remember (or for those of you that have just trudged through the thread to find my post) you may remember me saying that I didn't know if using those who asked first to test was a good idea but due to time constraints (which have since been thrown out of the window anyway) I went ahead with that plan. Well it's been a considerable amount of time now and I've not heard anything from a single person. So it would appear that the doubters were right (in future, remind me to bow to your wisdom and experience wichu). I know that some people have been extremely busy but I would have appreciated a PM or a visitor message just to let me know. For this reason I'm going to be re-evaluating the credits. Those of you who get in touch with me and can provide me with some decent feedback will remain on the credit list, but for those who took the project and ran as far away as possible I'm afraid you won't be seen on the credit list. I would have preferred to have done this via PMs to the people that I gave the alphas out to, but as it has been more than two months for some people, I feel that putting the information in the public domain would be better. Please note that I'm not going to name and shame as I don't feel that stooping to that level would be constructive, but just so everyone knows, with the release of the first public versions, I will be relying on feedback from everyone rather than just from testers.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't affect the overall quality of the project and I'm still trying my hardest to make sure that everybody gets a fair deal when it comes to the release. thanks for listening guys. *Hands the soapbox back to the rental people.*

LokiFerne

mad.array

Years
  • The first post has been edited to show the pre launch information. Essentially I'm asking you to tell me which features you want left in the basic version and which you think can be ditched so that people can try them for themselves. Some ideas I may not go ahead with so don't feel bad if the move you asked for isn't left in, it's just a matter of providing a balance between easier to code and more challenging moves/abilities. Take a gander at the first post if you want more detail.

Take Care

LokiFerne

Magnemite

I'm in the past.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2016
    I'm not really sure what you're talking about regarding the basic version. I'd say maybe don't bother adding in moves that have effects that already exist in Pokemon Essentials. For example, Energy Ball is just a grass type Shadow Ball, so that's easy to do yourself. The moves that require more advanced scripting knowledge, like Stealth Rock, are the ones people really need.

Basically, if you can't do the easiest parts for yourself, then you definitely don't deserve to have all the work done for you.

mad.array

Years
  • Hmm, that's a thought. The only drawback to that is that I wanted to keep the edited pokemon.txt file the same in both versions. As it would have the hex codes in already then the move would essentially be in without any coding (If I didn't have to do any then it' not fair me taking it away from other people). But there is a point to be made about similar moves. Say if Thunder fang was kept in but Ice Fang and Fire Fang were removed... that would be a fairly simple place to start. Thanks for that!

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hmm, that's a thought. The only drawback to that is that I wanted to keep the edited pokemon.txt file the same in both versions. As it would have the hex codes in already then the move would essentially be in without any coding (If I didn't have to do any then it' not fair me taking it away from other people). But there is a point to be made about similar moves. Say if Thunder fang was kept in but Ice Fang and Fire Fang were removed... that would be a fairly simple place to start. Thanks for that!
    Speaking of Fire Fang, it alone works against Wonder Guard, ignoring resistances. Are you considering that a glitch (and thus leaving it out), or will you be including that behaviour in this project?

mad.array

Years
  • Now that's an unusual glitch. I don't think that I'll be including that particular oddity. If it's a glitch then it won't be included. Well, I might include missingno =P

Hardy Har Har

Oh dear, oh my...
    Years
  • Hey, Loki...
    I found some text of attacks during battles from Platinum, and I also found something on the text. When a Pokémon is called or switched out, the texts are randomized. Also, if the foe has 1-5% HP left, the text is: "Your foe's weak! Get 'em, ______!" Are you also planning to include that in this project? I've got some of the text ready.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2011
    Is this going to include battle animations ?? If no, is there any way to find them ?

mad.array

Years
  • @lezebukon: Currently, no. There's just not enough time to put all of the battle animations in. I've barely enough time to do anything, though there are places online where you can find spritesheets with all of the battle animation sprites included. I'd recommend you look there and try to add them yourself.

KaoruMikami

Pokemon Rogue Developer
    Years
  • I honestly love this idea. It'd definitely be a nice update to the original starter kit.
    If you still need any hep with this let me know.
    Anything to make sure it gets put out to the public ya know.

Last edited:

Monorail

X in yo Y
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2009
    Does anyone know what's going on with this project? I'd really like to see it released but it looks like LokiFerne hasn't updated for a while...

mad.array

Years
  • Hi guys, thanks for your patience.

As Hall Of Famer said, I've been busy one way or another (including having my modem fry on me). The project is still going ahead, but as previously mentioned, much slower than I'd like. I'm sorry I haven't been able to update anyone here, but know that it is still happening.

And on that note, I'd just like to let people know that it will be released in a similar fashion to Essentials, so don't expect a finished product first time. With that in mind you really shouldn't have to wait much longer... if I were to tempt fate I'd say by the end of this month.

Take care folks and remember, if you're Eevee gets any more sensitive to radiation it's going to evolve if you cook it anything in a microwave.

LokiFerne

Back