• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Video Game Genre?

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    What type of video game do you feel is the best? RPGs? Shooters?Platformers? Discuss below. (Or don't, it's a free internet.)

I personally like RPGs the most. If you asked me which type of RPG, that would be a much harder question :p
    But yeah, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Undertale, are all games that I really enjoy (And there's a ton more too)

blue

gucci
    Years
  • more recently it has been RPGs but initially it was definitely racing games. i only ever used to play mainly racing games when i was growing up, now though it's veered more towards RPG/adventure games.

Years
  • Tactical RPGs, RPGs and Racing for me. These days I can't really find any good racing games that I like besides Mario Kart and Gran Turismo. I spend most of my time doing time trials trying to set good times and in Mario Kart utilizing all the exploits to get at least close to World Records. Tactical RPGs were once my biggest genre when I was growing up but now in that department most what I play is just Fire Emblem and some Disgaea.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Don't worry, peasants, I will save all of you!

Shooters.

Especially the open world kind!

The first videogame I ever played was Half-Life, then Halo. So I've always been shooting stuff in its ugly hostile face.

Luckily for me, my preferred Genre happens to meld with a lot of other genres too! RPGs, horror/survivals, and lots more! This makes me enjoy these games even more!

I also enjoy the more painfully realistic shooter. It brings a gritty kind of weight and a much greater sense of excitement to the game.

It's not asked, but I'd have to say my least favorite is jrpg or Tactical rpgs. There's the obvious problem of people in a fight waiting their turns to kill eachother. I find the gameplay much to slow and boring as well, and not the kind of strategy I enjoy (I prefer more fluid strategy making, I dislike turn-based strategy games but love RTS like C&C). While sitting and picking one of four moves is very exciting and intense for some people, I much prefer the satisfaction of organizing a successful Pincer Maneuver in ARMA III or and RTS. Not that I get to do that often...

Years
  • Well RPGs have become a recent interest for me. But for as long as I can remember, it was always fighting games that I've spent time with. (My recent fighter has been Skullgirls, so far that has been the most fun in my opinion.)

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • I always found RPGs the best genre. They're usually structured and logical, you can kind of mould the difficulty by choosing to grind or not, and there's always tons of collectables. I've personally logged in over 200 hours on Skyrim and Fantasy life, and 600 Skyrim saves :P

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • RPGs. Especially those that allow you freely wander everywhere, e.g. Xenoblade Chronicles. RPGs are just so wondrous and have many interesting concepts to them.

I'm also into fighting games. Well, kinda.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I always found RPGs the best genre. They're usually structured and logical, you can kind of mould the difficulty by choosing to grind or not, and there's always tons of collectables. I've personally logged in over 200 hours on Skyrim and Fantasy life, and 600 Skyrim saves :P

I have over 200 hours on skyrim. Got it a month ago xD

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • For me it's plateform games! Mostly the 3D ones. Banjo Tooie will always be my favorite game.

Yukari

Action RPGs, such as Diablo, Dark Souls, and Kingdoms of Amalur to name a few off the top of my head.

Also 2D Platformers. Huuuuge fan of those.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • My favourite video game genre is Action RPG but only for its gaming possibility. Ironically, I don't really recommend any favourite Action RPG game itself because I think most of them are subpar, and I usually would rather play adventure games :P

Years
  • RPGs for sure, with gravitation towards JRPGS. Nothing like a story I can play. Although my video game queue is a bit backed up because of how many of those I need to finish ...

Platformers of any kind. Give me a good one and I'll be happy.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Also gonna say that RPGs have been among my favorites for a long time, but in recent years I've also gravitated a lot towards survival games - the ones that dump you off in a hostile environment with resource management, building, fending for yourself against creatures, etc. I've played countless iterations of this kind of game and a lot of them have cropped up on Steam over the last few years because of how popular they've gotten, but I still love them despite how similar in mechanics and gameplay a lot of them tend to be.

Reminds me of this conversation I had a while back
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2017
    I dont know if it is a real genre, but im really into survival games lately.
    My favorite is The Forest, a alpha build pre acces.
    And Stranded Deep, also eraly acces

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
  • Racing games (the more arcadey the better), and rhythm games. I tend to go really hard on Mario Kart whenever a new game launches, and rhythm games tend to have a painful but very rewarding learning curve.

RPGs are up there too, but I don't play them religiously.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    I dont know if it is a real genre, but im really into survival games lately.
    My favorite is The Forest, a alpha build pre acces.
    And Stranded Deep, also eraly acces

It's definitely becoming a full on genre thanks to games like the Forest and Seven Days to Die

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2017
    For me it's plateform games! Mostly the 3D ones. Banjo Tooie will always be my favorite game.

YES! Those games by rareware are fun. Conkers was my favorite though.

As for the question Fps. Battlefield 1 for daaaayyyyzzzzz!

Back