• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Watch out for Ghosts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

Much like the games they're based off, haha.

You can't really reboot a franchise like Pokemon, which continually builds upon itself with the introduction of new generations mixing in with the old. They can't change the core gameplay of the series in any meaningful fashion so they'll never reboot them that way, either. And really, they don't need to, so they won't. It's all about the money, and Pokemon sells just fine as it is.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

i can't speak for the sun and moon anime but i tend to take each series as their own while also interweaving them in a sense of why one aspect of ash shows more than another aspect of him in that particular region. i'm sure that once i actually get around to watching sun/moon i'll figure out a consensus for whenever i start roleplaying ash again. if you think i had difficulty figuring out DP -> Best Wishes man do you have it wrong. I can probably figure a similar thing between XY and Sun and Moon just from what I know of SM, as well.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years

I really like the Movies just cause there's a lot more story to them~
    But yeah Sun & Moon style for the anime is just idk. Its like Ash slowly grew up then fell into kiddie land. I still like it don't get me wrong but the style is all wrong.

Also for me Unova and Best Wishes were my favorite series of the Anime cause yknow more story and character building hehe~ Sinnoh is a close Second/Third depending on how you view it because it still had a lot of aspects of the older series and continued to use a lot of characters from the past. XY was good as well for me but it did keep its characters to itself and did little to nothing in regards to past characters. (But it did flashback which is better than most).

Spoiler:

Years

I really like the Movies just cause there's a lot more story to them~
    But yeah Sun & Moon style for the anime is just idk. Its like Ash slowly grew up then fell into kiddie land. I still like it don't get me wrong but the style is all wrong.

It definitely is wrong. Also, I noticed how much SM Ash resembles Nate/Keita from Yo-Kai Watch:
    Spoiler:

Seriously, tell me that resemblance is so real.

Face it, even Ash's new personality in Sun & Moon has a lot of Nate in him. And that's on top of all the other easy comparisons, such as focus on slice-of-life and slapstick, along with taking place in a school. And of course Rotom Dex being pretty much Whisper.

Seeing how Sun & Moon is going so far, makes me feel very grim for the Pokemon anime's future because if they keep trying to rip off a franchise that's stealing the target audience, they'll only end up losing more of the veteran fans and face it, alienating the fanbase is a definite no-no. Especially when coming after one of the most controversial league results in history, and considering Alola's culture we may never see Ash take part in a league ever again or even be interested in becoming a Pokemon Master.

Face it, Yo-Kai Watch seems to have achieved its goal as the Pokemon Killer from an anime standpoint, by literally killing off half of the veteran fanbase to the point they will never watch the anime ever again.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023

But as long as new kids come and start watching the anime it'll stil keep going. Dunno just how much they care for the veterans. But I'll give a more concrete opinion once i get around to watching sun/moon myself.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

I wonder if Ash getting defeated by Alain would have been better received if it was something other than an already overexposed Charizard that got the Final blow. Say it was a Mega Venusaur or Mega Sceptile.

Alain's team seemed a bit odd to me. As nice a spot his Unfezant and Ash's Talonflame taking each other out was why was his bird Unfezant? - Other than Fearow one of the most forgettable Normal/Flying Types.

pkmin3033

I often wonder if the writers actually put any thought into any side character's team outside of their signature Pokemon...or even other, more significant trainers. I mean, Cynthia had a Gastrodon of all things.

pkmin3033

...and yet if Ash-Greninja had won, that would have made that thing the unbeatable Gary Stu...in a way, it was good for it to lose that way. I mean, it tossed around Diantha's Gardevoir like it was nothing!

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years

Ash-Greninja, arrrrgh, I HATE that thing, its overrated & overused. In fact I hate the whole Froakie line, the only Water Starters line I don't like.

Pika Pika :chu:

pkmin3033

Honestly, I don't understand WHY they introduced Ash-Greninja in the first place. Ash has a plethora of Pokemon that are able to Mega Evolve, and his best leagues have always been those where he calls upon his old Pokemon. It wouldn't have killed them to give him a proper Mega.

pkmin3033

Greninja had that nasty tongue, but at least Froakie wasn't as hideous as Oshawott or Popplio...generally speaking, since Gen V water-type starters have gone from having the best designs to having the worst I think =/

Years

Seeing Popplio be recognised as the least chosen Water starter in history makes me sad, realising how much one majority's hatred of a Pokemon design can ruin it forever. Weirdly though, Oshawott was the most popular Unova starter according to a poll released by Kotaku. Heck, when I saw all the Popplio hate I immediately saw it give a flashback of when Oshawott used to be hated so much.

For the record, here's how each starter fared, from most to least popular by region:

Kanto - Charmander -> Squirtle -> Bulbasaur
    Johto - Cyndaquil -> Totodile -> Chikorita
    Hoenn - Mudkip -> Torchic -> Treecko
    Sinnoh - Piplup -> Chimchar -> Turtwig
    Unova - Oshawott -> Snivy -> Tepig
    Kalos - Froakie -> Fennekin -> Chespin
    Alola - Rowlet -> Litten -> Popplio

Face it, before 7th Gen, if your fave starter was the Grass-type you should be proud you were in the minority. But also 7th Gen's Popplio ruined a good track record for Water starter favouritism.

pkmin3033

Starter designs have always been hit-or-miss with me, although I've used all of them at least once...because I usually start my first file with all three so I can get a feel for them. In subsequent run throughs I'll only use the one.

Mudkip being more popular than Torchic is depressing. But Piplup is clearly the best.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

Never got the love for the Cyndaquil line at all. One of the least inspiring starter designs ever. Typhlosion looks particularly unimpressive. A bipedal badger with a flame collar. What's so great about that?

The starter popularity seems about right although I'm surprised Piplup was picked more than Chimchar with the flame monkeys popularity here. For the record I prefer Piplup.

Popplio is my favourite Alola starter. I managed to obtain a Shiny Primarina too. :)

pkmin3033

I always thought Totodile was better than Cyndaquil personally...its evolutions aren't very imaginative. I never thought of Typhlosion as a badger, though. xD

Pokemon has too many monkeys, and they're all hideous...that said, Chimchar was nowhere near as bad as those godawful elemental monkeys in Gen V.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

Whilst not a fan of the line Chimchar was cute. I've used Simisear and Simisage. Being nearly forced to use one and seemingly half opposing trainers having them did not endear them to the fanbase though. Simisage was very useful in my Unova Monotype but was still outshone by Sawsbuck and Lilligant.

I managed to catch a Shiny Oddish in Alpha Sapphire yesterday. It is male so I think I will evolve it into Vileplume. One of my favourite Pokemon.

pkmin3033

I flat-out refused to use the elemental monkey I was given in Black, I just overlevelled my started and ploughed through the first Gym, then caught a Pidove along a later route and started building a team up from there. But yeah, the highly limited choice at the start of Black/White are part of what made the games difficult to get into, I think.

How do you even have the patience to go shiny hunting? I tried it once and I quit after about half an hour, I got so bored with it. xD

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years

I used the fire monkey for the battle with Cilan then moved on. The monkeys felt forced and whilst Gen 5 is my favourite gen there were some odd decisions like some Pokemon evolving really late (Like Gothitelle and especially Hydreigon) or not being available until towards the end game like Mienshao. BW2 fixed it somewhat though by giving you a Mandibuzz/Braviary early on. As nice a design as Unfezant is its not as good as Mandibuzz or Braviary for me.

I tend to Shiny Hunt for Pokemon I like whilst watching TV or doing other things. Like I caught the Shiny Oddish yesterday whilst watching wrestling.

I don't have the time or patience to sit there all day and Shiny hunt especially pre Gen 6. Getting a Shiny of Pokemon I like is always nice though. :)

Whilst I have never done an ADrive style big celebration at finding a Shiny I did come close when I got a Shiny of my Petilil which I evolved into my favourite Pokemon Lilligant and the only Shiny I have ever hatched Shiny Vullaby (Now Mandibuzz). My favourite Dark and Flying type.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back