• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Follow me!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Walking Pok?mon, these Pok?mon follow you, outside of their Poke Balls. First this feature was in Pok?mon Yellow, then in Diamond/Pearl and then Platinum.

However, the first Pok?mon games to have this feature with all available Pok?mon at that time - were HeartGold and SoulSilver!

155.png
158.png
152.png

So, what did you think of this lovely feature, in general? Did you enjoy walking with your Pok?mon, in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Which Pok?mon did you walk with most, and why? c: Would you like to see this feature make a return in later Pok?mon games, and why? Share any other thoughts here!

Personally, this is easily one of my most favorite mechanics in a Pokemon game, like ever. I loved everything about it, I loved my Pokemon following me, I loved talking to my Pokemon following me, I wanted to experiment with all kinds of Pokemon to see what it would be like with them following you around. o:

I really loved walking around with my Growlithe and my Chinchou when I gotten the chance to; aaah it was so awesome. <33

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Seems gimmicky but following pokemon is a great concept. Pokemon are like your pets so to always see them cooped up in your party menu in every game is such a bore and seeing Ash and his pals interact with their pokemon was always something I wanted in the games. So for my favorite generation to be remade and to be able to walk with any of the 493 pokemon back then was very pleasing. It's like icing on the cake that made HGSS really great, fun and repayable and one of the my all time favorites. The sprites are well made too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The Pokemon following is a cute feature and I enjoyed it. I take turns walking with all 6 Pokemon in my team so that I could level them up equally and I do want to see this feature return in later Pokemon games.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I've had Yellow for decades so I've been used to Pikachu following me around since Day 1. While its nice, the fact I can't have anyone else follow me is a bit of a let-down while also annoying that I can't evolve it like other Pokemon I catch. The feature in HG/SS and now in Let's GO is interesting to say the least as I've always wanted to have Vulpix or another Pokemon I love follow me.

Years
I wish Game Freak didn't ditch this feature in later generations. It's one of the main things that made HG/SS so much fun for me! I remember walking around with my Pokemon here and there and checking in on them periodically just to see how they would feel. While I think replacements like Pokemon Amie and Refresh do this well, I feel like there's nothing quite like that textbox that would tell you directly what your Pokemon is thinking/feeling at that moment.

Years
It was nice feature, but I hope they'll let you either choose what Pokémon should follow you or turn it off entirely. I'm fine with Pokémon like Smochum or Combee following me, but not the ones like Arceus or Giratina.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
I don't recall the following feature in Diamond and Pearl but I enjoyed it in HG/SS.
The more personal involvement with your Pokemon that it allows make for a more authentic experience.

It was nice feature, but I hope they'll let you either choose what Pokémon should follow you or turn it off entirely. I'm fine with Pokémon like Smochum or Combee following me, but not the ones like Arceus or Giratina.

You can choose which Pokemon follows you in HG/SS to an extent.
I expect it's the extent you're referring to, that you'd rather it not be restricted to the first party slot.
Interesting idea.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I really liked having Pokémon following you. It's one of the things that makes HG/SS my favorite Pokémon games. It adds some extra personality to the game.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I loved this feature a lot, especially in HGSS. I even enjoyed the little bit of that feature when playing Platinum. I would have loved to see it in mainstream GBA.

As far as the future goes for mainstream Pokemon and I, it would be great having it back, but would love to see it in the form of a 5th Gen remake instead... eh don't mind me, just daydreaming. xD

Years
How could anyone love Pokemon and not love this feature?

I loved how if your pokemon is shiny it still stays shiny as it follow you. I rotated around the Pokemon who followed me as well, but I really enjoyed having the Red Gyarados follow me. It was amusing to have something that should be enormous and adapted totally to water bounce along the road right behind you. He was also cute because he acted more protective of me then other Pokemon.

Post game Suicune was the Pokemon I let walk behind me the most. Since he had followed you all the way around the world and you two clearly have a special bond I thought he had earned a place eternally at my side. Suicune became my signature Pokemon.

Back