• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

scariest pokémon to encounter in real life

Years
  • So I just ran into a wild Araquanid in a Pokémon game and realized how terrifying that would be to see irl...

what do you guys think the scariest mon would be to see out in the open?

TheeWizard

Brad
    Years
  • If we are going off of just there appearance, I think Drapion would be pretty scary a 1.3m (4′03″) tall Scorpion is pretty horrifying.

If it's based on their Pokedex entries then a lot of them are terrifying.
    But Cacturne's both scary looking and its Pokedex entry is creepy.
    "If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving."

milcute

a sweet melody~
    Years
  • ONIX. I never realized how terrifying a 28 foot long rock snake is until I saw it in Let's Go Pikachu. They always startled me when they appeared on the overworld.

Also, Yanmega. I hate dragonflies IRL, so a giant one with a six foot wingspan? NOPE.

Years
  • literally any ghost type. sure, encountering big and and tall monsters on a physical plane is scary and all, but what can do you do against something you can't even see? ghost types can manifest whenever they damn well please, so they can and will take joy in scaring the crap out of you.

no thanks. x.x

Years
  • Some of the Ultra Beasts would really freak me out if I saw them- Guzzlord and Celesteela specifically. Both of them are at least 3x bigger than a regular person, and I wouldn't want to be around if one of them was angry.

Afi

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2020
    Banette, looks too much like a marionette doll for me

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    All the bug Pokemon would freak me out, even the cute ones like Cutiefly. Bug Pokemon look very akin to our real world bugs and they would terrify me.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Araquanid already creeps me out.
    Also Hatterene.

Years
  • Purely based on aesthetics, Cofagrigus. That may sound like an odd choice, but a big, possessed coffin flying at you? Uh, no thanks (honorable mention to Gigantamax Sandaconda, but that's because I'm terrified of snakes IRL)

Factor in Pokédex entries, though, and as we know, there are quite a few terrifying ones, but Gengar is by far the worst IMO. Pretty much all of its entries are pretty scary, but worst of all is it's Sun entry: "Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up."

That's such a gloomy outlook. Like, the Pokédex literally tells you just to accept death if you're possessed by a Gengar. Even worse, if it's a ghost type, you probably won't even see it coming.

Seriously, Gengar is completely messed up.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I have to agree with Guzzlord. That thing would probably just eat you before you could move.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Imagine taking a walk in the park and then a three-headed dragon swoops down upon you! I shudder at Hyderigon's Pokedex entry from Black and White 2:
    It responds to movement by attacking. This scary, three-headed Pokémon devours everything in its path!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Like the above post says: Beedrill.

I don't even like encountering regular bees, I probably wouldn't go outside anymore if Beedrill existed.

Back