The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Discussion
Map Showcase and Review

ROM Hacking Discussion General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old December 5th, 2017 (11:32 AM). Edited December 5th, 2017 by Mega Swadloon.
Mega Swadloon's Avatar
Mega Swadloon Mega Swadloon is offline
Swadloon Trainer
     
    Join Date: Nov 2017
    Location: United States, CA
    Gender: Other
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post


    you can climb the walls and walk on top of them, and jump from wall top to wall top

    you can also climb up and down 2 block vines

    the right way to enter the temple is through the hole on the roof by climbing down that vine, because the regular entrance is blocked by rubble (inside)

    Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh
    I don't see any problems with that map at all. As long as you have the map connections figured out. It's beautiful!

    Here's a map I'm working on. Still in progress. It's a new take on Celadon City. I hate how the towns in Pokémon are hardly towns, just a few houses, a PC and a store. So my goal is to make Celadon City, but also make it with enough houses so that it's realistic AND make it so you can go inside them all so there's more stuff to do.

    I'd be glad to take any suggestions on how it can improve :)

    Credits: Wesely FG for the Gym, the Pokémon Center, benches and for the Gamer Corner (But I changed it a bit)
    Attached Images
    File Type: png Celadoncity.png‎ (101.7 KB, 82 views) (Save to Dropbox)
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #77    
    Old December 14th, 2017 (4:23 PM). Edited December 14th, 2017 by Arma.
    Arma's Avatar
    Arma Arma is offline
    The Hyena
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Location: The Hague
    Age: 25
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 1,659
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mega Swadloon View Post
    Here's a map I'm working on. Still in progress. It's a new take on Celadon City. I hate how the towns in Pokémon are hardly towns, just a few houses, a PC and a store. So my goal is to make Celadon City, but also make it with enough houses so that it's realistic AND make it so you can go inside them all so there's more stuff to do.
    Let me stop you right there buddy, Celadon city already has more than enough to do, if you were going to make it "realistic" you'd have to add a couple of thousand more houses. *ahem* Anyways, what's the point of having so many houses? how can you keep me entertained visiting them all, without making it feel like a slog? It seems like you are just adding houses for the sake of it, if you'd map the entire Kanto region like this, the vast majority of your audience would lose their patience after arriving in Viridian city. =/

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mega Swadloon View Post
    I'd be glad to take any suggestions on how it can improve :)
    Credits: Wesely FG for the Gym, the Pokémon Center, benches and for the Gamer Corner (But I changed it a bit)
    Anyways, onto the actual review of the map. I really like the tiles you picked for the smaller houses! the ones you used for the larger ones look pretty bad in comparison though. Not only do the tiles clash, the windows are located in awkward positions. All the buildings are perfectly one a single line too, which, in my opinion, really makes for a boring map to walk through. I like the gym, but the placement is just downright horrible to me, the ring of trees really look off, and you'd do much better to use some more natural shapes to turn it into something of a park, rather than a box of trees.

    Back to the point of making it a more "realistic city" the house with the water in front of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, other than just being there because game freak did it, surely you can come up with something more interesting to prevent the player from accessing it before they acquire surf?

    I'm generally not a fan of tall grass in cities, but it makes sense in the park-like area on the bottom right. However, the same can't be said for the patches on what appears to be the main road of Celadon. It looks horrible, and again really takes away from that realistic vibe you're aiming for. I'm also not a fan of the "front yards" of the three houses next to the Pokemon center, it looks more like 2 tiles of wilderness in front of their house, than a yard.

    Also, I'd really go with a more paved road for such a large city as Celadon, but that's not really a big concern.

    I hope I didn't come across as too negative here. n-n;; My purpose is to only provide some constructive criticism, so you can improve your maps~ I do hope my thoughts have been useful, and I'd love to see your final rendition of Celadon City!
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #78    
    Old December 16th, 2017 (11:34 AM).
    Mega Swadloon's Avatar
    Mega Swadloon Mega Swadloon is offline
    Swadloon Trainer
       
      Join Date: Nov 2017
      Location: United States, CA
      Gender: Other
      Nature: Bold
      Posts: 74
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Arma View Post
      Let me stop you right there buddy, Celadon city already has more than enough to do, if you were going to make it "realistic" you'd have to add a couple of thousand more houses. *ahem* Anyways, what's the point of having so many houses? how can you keep me entertained visiting them all, without making it feel like a slog? It seems like you are just adding houses for the sake of it, if you'd map the entire Kanto region like this, the vast majority of your audience would lose their patience after arriving in Viridian city. =/

      Anyways, onto the actual review of the map. I really like the tiles you picked for the smaller houses! the ones you used for the larger ones look pretty bad in comparison though. Not only do the tiles clash, the windows are located in awkward positions. All the buildings are perfectly one a single line too, which, in my opinion, really makes for a boring map to walk through. I like the gym, but the placement is just downright horrible to me, the ring of trees really look off, and you'd do much better to use some more natural shapes to turn it into something of a park, rather than a box of trees.

      Back to the point of making it a more "realistic city" the house with the water in front of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, other than just being there because game freak did it, surely you can come up with something more interesting to prevent the player from accessing it before they acquire surf?

      I'm generally not a fan of tall grass in cities, but it makes sense in the park-like area on the bottom right. However, the same can't be said for the patches on what appears to be the main road of Celadon. It looks horrible, and again really takes away from that realistic vibe you're aiming for. I'm also not a fan of the "front yards" of the three houses next to the Pokemon center, it looks more like 2 tiles of wilderness in front of their house, than a yard.

      Also, I'd really go with a more paved road for such a large city as Celadon, but that's not really a big concern.

      I hope I didn't come across as too negative here. n-n;; My purpose is to only provide some constructive criticism, so you can improve your maps~ I do hope my thoughts have been useful, and I'd love to see your final rendition of Celadon City!
      Thanks! I agree with you that the gym is in a weird area. And I can totally edit the tiles for the big buildings (they’re just altered R/S tiles) As far as a reason to go inside the houses, that’s more of a gameplay thing I think. But I’ll put a new pic when I have changed a few things on the map
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #79    
      Old January 5th, 2018 (10:20 PM).
      JabuJabule's Avatar
      JabuJabule JabuJabule is offline
         
        Join Date: May 2014
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 69
        Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

        Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.



        My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

        The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.
        __________________

        Reply With Quote
          #80    
        Old January 9th, 2018 (10:43 PM).
        draydonn's Avatar
        draydonn draydonn is offline
        Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
           
          Join Date: Jan 2018
          Location: Midwest, USA
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 11
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
          Mega Swadloon, if I'm being honest I'm finding it a bit hard to find something positive about your map. It's awfully straight, and the ground doesn't make sense for it being such a big town/city. The trees used are a little odd too, as those are all the Secret Base trees from RSE. I do like the little cornerway with the bench though!

          Also, I'm sorry but that Pokemon Gym is horrible looking. The perspective really doesn't match.



          My starting village, made in Emerald. Although, I already messed up my save file and it's gone. It was just a mockup anyways, but I like it! What do you guys think of the layout?

          The top right corner would have a TM on the flowers, by the way.
          Looking Quite nice for a start! Id recommend just bringing things together a bit. Maybe add a little park or something? Other then that, good job!
          Reply With Quote
            #81    
          Old January 9th, 2018 (10:45 PM).
          draydonn's Avatar
          draydonn draydonn is offline
          Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
             
            Join Date: Jan 2018
            Location: Midwest, USA
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 11
            This Map is Dope!
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #82    
            Old January 9th, 2018 (10:54 PM).
            draydonn's Avatar
            draydonn draydonn is offline
            Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
               
              Join Date: Jan 2018
              Location: Midwest, USA
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 11
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Chaflie View Post



              Just a quick little concept I came up with while pitching ideas with a team :)
              I LOVE THIS.

              Shows hoe tiny maps are still cute.
              Reply With Quote
                #83    
              Old January 9th, 2018 (10:56 PM).
              draydonn's Avatar
              draydonn draydonn is offline
              Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                 
                Join Date: Jan 2018
                Location: Midwest, USA
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 11
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by buttjuice View Post
                I like the layout to your route, it looks really nice but the difference in greens (mostly in the wild grass) is a turnoff.

                Not sure how everybody gets the nice pretty screenshot D:
                But here's my route 1
                Made with RPGMakerXP
                Spoiler:
                Taken out for link block
                I love this. My only suggestion is posibly placing more trees that overlap. looks a little "Escapeable"
                Reply With Quote
                  #84    
                Old January 9th, 2018 (10:59 PM).
                draydonn's Avatar
                draydonn draydonn is offline
                Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                   
                  Join Date: Jan 2018
                  Location: Midwest, USA
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 11
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dew 2.0 View Post
                  Sorry for double-posting, but now that I've reached my 5 post minimum I can post my own map!

                  Spoiler:
                  Taken out for link block. lol


                  All tiles are made by yours truly. This is supposed to be the "Route 1" of my upcoming project. Mapping-wise I didn't want to go too crazy; just very much in line with something Game Freak would do. The player moves from south to north.

                  It's been a while since I've mapped, but I'm really curious about what you guys think!
                  I Like the faux 3D effect!
                  Reply With Quote
                    #85    
                  Old January 9th, 2018 (11:00 PM).
                  draydonn's Avatar
                  draydonn draydonn is offline
                  Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                     
                    Join Date: Jan 2018
                    Location: Midwest, USA
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 11
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by TypicalJalapeno View Post
                    And what 'bout this snow map?
                    Snow Maps are my faveeeee. I just cant map with them
                    Reply With Quote
                      #86    
                    Old January 9th, 2018 (11:06 PM).
                    draydonn's Avatar
                    draydonn draydonn is offline
                    Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2018
                      Location: Midwest, USA
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 11
                      I am uploading a map that I have been working on for a game im doing.

                      Spoiler:




                      Reply With Quote
                        #87    
                      Old January 10th, 2018 (8:11 AM).
                      JabuJabule's Avatar
                      JabuJabule JabuJabule is offline
                         
                        Join Date: May 2014
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 69
                        Wow! I love the layout and the shape of the towns! Great job. You could be a little more liberal with the mountains though, unless you're aiming for exclusively forest.
                        __________________

                        Reply With Quote
                          #88    
                        Old January 11th, 2018 (6:16 PM).
                        draydonn's Avatar
                        draydonn draydonn is offline
                        Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                           
                          Join Date: Jan 2018
                          Location: Midwest, USA
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Relaxed
                          Posts: 11
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by JabuJabule View Post
                          Wow! I love the layout and the shape of the towns! Great job. You could be a little more liberal with the mountains though, unless you're aiming for exclusively forest.
                          Thank you for the feedback!

                          As for my use of Mountains, this is just the "Tutorial Area" before you go off into the rest of the world, so I figured it needed to be more.... Bland?

                          One of the next parts i'm going to be dealing with is a Terraced City, and a Cave City. I want to make the Cave City vary in terrian tremendously though. Maybe you'll get to see that!
                          Reply With Quote
                            #89    
                          Old January 20th, 2018 (12:31 AM).
                          draydonn's Avatar
                          draydonn draydonn is offline
                          Memorite: Pure Edition Creator
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2018
                            Location: Midwest, USA
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 11
                            So I have added a ton to my game, and i wanted to show off my little promo screenshots for proof of development.

                            so hear is some screens

                            Spoiler:


                            Reply With Quote
                              #90    
                            Old February 20th, 2018 (12:59 AM).
                            Anuran Anuran is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2018
                              Posts: 5
                              Rate plz
                              Reply With Quote
                                #91    
                              Old May 12th, 2018 (6:52 PM). Edited May 12th, 2018 by Ray Maverick.
                              Ray Maverick's Avatar
                              Ray Maverick Ray Maverick is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Feb 2009
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Lonely
                              Posts: 3,390


                              Anheim Forest
                              had a lot of fun with this

                              Credits to: Zein, Alucus of Borg, TheRedEx, Alistair the Dead Hero, Magiscarf, Kyledove, WesleyFG, Zeikku, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeo254, Novus, Dewitty, Phyromatical, EVoLiNa, zetavares852, Saurav, Seiyouh, sailorvicious, ~Trebuh~, browniemakerx, LTSeraa, Newtiteuf, speedialga, PeekyChew, Ozumas, Xiros, JesusCarrasco, Cuddlesthefatcat, ShoddyBattle, Zerudez, Hydrargirium, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Aten974, Warpas, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellug, thegreatblaid, Gallanty
                              __________________

                              *** Open Blue OOC ***
                              Reply With Quote
                                #92    
                              Old May 24th, 2018 (12:21 AM).
                              FaeBladez's Avatar
                              FaeBladez FaeBladez is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Jan 2014
                                Location: Calgary AB Canada
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 113
                                Spoiler:
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post


                                Anheim Forest
                                had a lot of fun with this

                                Credits to: Zein, Alucus of Borg, TheRedEx, Alistair the Dead Hero, Magiscarf, Kyledove, WesleyFG, Zeikku, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeo254, Novus, Dewitty, Phyromatical, EVoLiNa, zetavares852, Saurav, Seiyouh, sailorvicious, ~Trebuh~, browniemakerx, LTSeraa, Newtiteuf, speedialga, PeekyChew, Ozumas, Xiros, JesusCarrasco, Cuddlesthefatcat, ShoddyBattle, Zerudez, Hydrargirium, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Aten974, Warpas, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellug, thegreatblaid, Gallanty

                                I really like it! The palette colors for green isnt to my taste but it works well, especially the cobwebs and lights it adds great depth!Only thing i would change is the house the style of the tiles do not fit the rest to me, but looks great otherwise.





                                So heres my map, havent been here in years, relearning to map and insert tiles and everything. I feel like something is missing from this map, like it feels empty to me, please suggest any tiles or decor or anything to make it more full etc thank you. And yes I see the 2 tile errors.
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #93    
                                Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:32 PM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by HarleyHarleyHarley.
                                HarleyHarleyHarley's Avatar
                                HarleyHarleyHarley HarleyHarleyHarley is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2018
                                  Gender: Other
                                  Nature: Adamant
                                  Posts: 9
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by FSBS View Post
                                  New year, new mapping thread, huh?
                                  I hesitate to critique this map, because without some help from you my mapping might still be ugly as all get out.
                                  Fortunately, this map is pretty much perfect. It's simple, spacious, and large. I see a point of interest too, and it reminds me of Ilex Forest and Celebi (a point in my book), yet also evokes a simple early-game route. The ledges are logically placed as well; not allowing the player to skip all the grass, but also providing more convenient travel downwards as well.
                                  My only suggestion would be to add more color. Can one encounter mushroom Pokemon in the mushroom patches?

                                  I will be showcasing one of my own maps. I've run this from start to finish on /heg/ but I wanted to get more opinions.
                                  Game: Kanto Roads (Working Title)
                                  Made with: Advance Map 1.92
                                  Name: Pewter City
                                  Notes: A simplistic re-imagining of Pewter City with heightened, mountainous elevation. There may be shading errors. Pretty big map, so outside link:
                                  http://i.imgur.com/wtW6aLu.jpg
                                  This is the best fan made map I've ever seen! <3

                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post


                                  you can climb the walls and walk on top of them, and jump from wall top to wall top

                                  you can also climb up and down 2 block vines

                                  the right way to enter the temple is through the hole on the roof by climbing down that vine, because the regular entrance is blocked by rubble (inside)

                                  Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh
                                  This is very intricate! This is very good too! <3
                                  __________________
                                  Harley is freaking awesome!
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #94    
                                  Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:51 PM).
                                  Venomous_Zero86's Avatar
                                  Venomous_Zero86 Venomous_Zero86 is offline
                                  Pokemon Chosen Ones (Coming Soon)
                                     
                                    Join Date: Mar 2016
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Posts: 112
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by TypicalJalapeno View Post
                                    And what 'bout this snow map?

                                    can i get this tileset
                                    __________________
                                    Whatever you do in this life, it's not legendary unless your friends are there to see it. -Barney Stinson
                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #95    
                                    Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:11 AM).
                                    rekman's Avatar
                                    rekman rekman is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jan 2018
                                      Posts: 19
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by draydonn View Post
                                      I am uploading a map that I have been working on for a game im doing.


                                      Nice mapping, the graphics are visually powerful. I love the use of magiscarf and of those trees ( can I ask you who's the artist? ahaha). Just a side note: even if the map is not squared, the route is linear and you won't be able to add side quests or hidden spots. This thing will reduce the chances to make the player to going back to those maps to complete them in a detailed way ( no rocksmash, surf or strength spots). Anyway, your game will be absolutely fine with the dedication you put into mapping :) good luck

                                      Spoiler:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Anuran View Post
                                      Rate plz

                                      The map is too squared. Focus more on the consistency of the details you put in the map. They don't have to just fill the map because too empty. If the map is too expty, just make the building nearer and do a smaller map.

                                      Spoiler:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post

                                      Anheim Forest
                                      had a lot of fun with this

                                      Good map! It's consistent and particular. Must be fun to explore if you add proper events inside :) Just update the building that seems a bit odd. I see around 5 entrances, and it will be difficult to connect well this map with other 5 maps. Good luck :)

                                      Spoiler:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by FaeBladez View Post

                                      So heres my map, havent been here in years, relearning to map and insert tiles and everything. I feel like something is missing from this map, like it feels empty to me, please suggest any tiles or decor or anything to make it more full etc thank you. And yes I see the 2 tile errors.

                                      So, the tileset is interesting! I may understand what you are talking about. The water takes a lot of space in the map but without the concept of different layers of deepness of water it may seem a bit flat. A suggestion is: use a fog to make it deeper, it's not difficult and it's visually powerful :) another suggestion is: use the lilypads as walkable areas to jump from one to another and create some secret paths. Or give more emphasis to the small pier and to the garden. It can be a good map if used for an extra like Dragon's Den of Gold and Silver. You can say that your style is particular compared to others in the community :) Good luck with your mapping!
                                      __________________
                                      Pokemon Winter memories ~ Developing..
                                      ________________________
                                      Defining trainers' EV through formula: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=414192
                                      Reply With Quote
                                      Reply

                                      Quick Reply

                                      Join the conversation!

                                      Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                      Create a PokéCommunity Account
                                      Thread Tools

                                      Posting Rules
                                      You may not post new threads
                                      You may not post replies
                                      You may not post attachments
                                      You may not edit your posts

                                      BB code is On
                                      Smilies are On
                                      [IMG] code is On
                                      HTML code is Off

                                      Forum Jump


                                      All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:31 PM.