• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite Gen, game wise

Best generation's games?

• Gen 1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 2

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Gen 3

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Gen 4

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Gen 5

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Gen 6

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Gen 7

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
  • So no love for gen 6 so far ? :)

The only real things it provided was Mega Evolution...and that's it. Rainbow pretty much covered it.

The story had great potential, but it was so poorly executed and paced that I got the sense of 'huh, so that happened'. Literally nothing happens from the first gym to the second, then right around the fifth gym it picks up, but it's the manner this 'end of the world' plot is literally dumped on you towards the end that it feels shoved in, rather than authentic.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Gen 2, it really pushed the limits of the Gameboy whilst massively expanding on R/B and shaping the final character that would define the franchise for the next nearly two decades

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • Gen 4, I just love all the connections within the story of d/p/p. If they go for a remake I hope they do Arceus what they did with Deoxys and make it available to catch within the game. And the Battle frontier kept me distracted since at that time I had no one to battle with.

Not to mention being able to glitch your way to Darkrai even though I failed horribly...

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Gen 5 by some distance.

The story was for me the best in the series, a genuinely evil villain, Gym Leaders finally got some characterisation, the music was very good, the Elite Four were excellent and there was a wide variety of Pokemon to catch.

Also the second games have the best post-game in the series with the battle city/treehollow, subway, Pokestar Studios and the PWT. In terms of fun the PWT is still the best post game facility in the series.

The games aren't perfect, none of the rivals were very good and the Pokedex had some strange omissions such as Pikachu not being catchable in any game that gen and the Ralts line being locked behind an unintuitive sidequest but overall for me the best games in the series.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • I bit the bullet and actually voted since now the poll has a nice 20 as a sample size.

Voted Gen 7 since the title of the thread was Favourite game. Still maintain that BW story was the best though, since N actually challenges you, the main character. Sun&Moon's story requires you to be emotionally invested in Lillie for the plot to work.

Years
  • I really love Gen 3 and it'll always be my favourite, thinking about it they were the first Pokemon games made for the new GBA and they were so good that I and many other people still play them to this day, that takes some doing.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I can't decide between 2, 6 or 7.
    I like Gen 2 mostly because of nostalgia and Johto being my favourite region.
    I like 6 because of Kalos being a European based region, the introduction of the Fairy type, the story that gets a bit dark towards the end and the designs of some of the Pokemon.
    I like 7 because of the tropical Alola region and how innovative it is compared to previous games.

redjj1

Old School
    Years
  • Even though I love Kanto I would say Gen II (could have been Gen III but I haven't finished the Gen III version of fire red and I did like ruby and emerald)

Gen II simply because I liked playing on my gameboy colour and Gold was a defining game of my childhood. Also being able to trade between Gen I and II was huge! and all the little things like eggs, day and night, 2 regions, duplicating Pokemon glitch {:3}

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    bad """""story"""""
    cardboard characters
    too many cutscenes
    hideous 3D effects
    forgettable pokémon
    too easy

actually that's mostly just XY. ORAS was pretty good imo but it'll never match up to Gens 5 or 7.

I loved Gen 6 Pokemon.
    And too many cut scenes?? LOL so what about Sun and Moon in that regard?.

xXLunaSolXx

Gen 3 of course! Best villains teams, best Pokemon, cool region... I just love everything about it!

Also, I agree with you, Rainbow. XY fucking sucks! I'm so ashamed that I liked them actually. -_-

Last edited:

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I like Gen 2 best with Gen 6 as a close second. There's nothing better than a good sequel. I thought Black/White 2 wasn't a good follow up to Black/White and I didn't like Gen 5 much, anyway. I really loved Gen 6. Gen 7 doesn't have a national dex, which lowers my enjoyment of it. I don't want to pay for a national dex. But yeah, Gen 2 was the best. Good story, good gym leaders, a whole second region, and Red as a final boss.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2019
    My ranked generations, in descending order:

#1 - IV (only because of Platinum and HGSS; Diamond and Pearl would be closer to fourth place.)
    #2 - V (only because of B2W2; I didn't like Black and White.)
    #3 - VII
    #4 - III (FRLG were "meh", but RSE were good.)
    #5 - II
    #6 - VI
    #7 - I

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    I think I liked Gen 2 the best, although Gen 1 was also great, especially Yellow! :)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Gen 1: not much reason to vote here except for nostalgia
    Gen 2: Arguably has the best legendaries, love the lore, beautiful region, arguably best rival and a very solid story
    Gen 3: solid legendaries, love the lore, "meh" region, Battle Frontier, Steven Stone
    Gen 4: Cynthia, amazing lore, amazingly beautiful region, some of my favorite Pokemon, really great story
    Gen 5: amazing features, fun region to explore though not as beautiful imo, cool legendaries, average lore, in-depth characters, interesting story, Pokemon were hit and miss
    Gen 6: (XY) Beautiful region, lots of promise, poorly executed, possibly my favorite region for new Pokemon, Mega evolution. (ORAS) Delta Episode, improved story, Steven Stone, still a lot of water, cool features
    Gen 7: Tied with Sinnoh and Kalos for favorite Pokemon, slow story but good story, trainers challenge you to be Champion, hit and miss on character development but still my favorite batch of characters

In the end I voted Gen 2 but I could have easily voted for Gen 4 or 7

Years
  • Before 2016, Gen V would easily take my pic, but ever since my biggest playthrough becoming a complete dreck caused B2W2 to freefall out of my favorite spot, I honestly don't know (though the games still have plenty of content). I still haven't grown back into them, and I guess I like XY even if I've kinda soured on ORAS, and the Gen IV games have good stuff for them too. So yeah, one of those two for me right about now.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Personally I really enjoy Gen 7, 4 and 3. Gen 7 because I really enjoyed the challenge and the different stuff they did, which is really cool to experience! Gen 4 has the marvelous atmosphere, and the villains were great with Team Galactic (hnng Mars). HG/SS were also really great games. :]

Gen 3 because of Emerald, XD, and Colosseum. Those were a treat to experience too. <33

Back