• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would people be interested in a writing prompt thread?

Years
  • So, I'm thinking of starting some kind of Writing Prompts thread where the theme changes each week/fortnight/month/millennium that gives people the chance to practice their writing, maybe out of their comfort zone and to potentially inspire some creativity.

The premise would be, that, every so often a 'prompt' is announced in the thread. This could be something short and descriptive like

You have woken up to find you are in the body of a pokémon!

or something more defined, approximately a paragraph in length.

The idea is to write a short story or something similar based on this prompt! You can spin it however you want, just start writing what comes to mind when you read the prompt; how would you continue the story?

I think it would be very exciting to read everyone's different takes on these prompts and I'd keep it going as long as people were interested in it. What do you all think though? Is this something you'd be interested in?

I hope I explained this all well enough, but if you feel there are areas that I should elaborate on please ask and I'll try to clear things up!

EDIT: How long would you like to have between prompts?

Last edited:

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I'd definitely be interested, especially if we can get feedback and give feedback in return.

Years
  • I'd definitely be interested, especially if we can get feedback and give feedback in return.

Sure! I guess we could have an "OOC" thread in the writer's lounge that people can discuss all aspects of the writing prompts? After all, discussion and sharing helps everyone!

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Hi there! I want to mention that I did a writing prompt thread when I first became mod here, and I don't mind if someone else wants to do it!

As for feedback, what I did originally was I have folks post their story in the main fanfiction section and then post a link in the writing prompt thread. Sometimes you'll have people give feedback in the story thread itself. Hope this helps!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    It is always a good way to get people into writing something creative and different so they can open up to new perspectives

Also, if they are short enough, people can get interested in the author.

Overall I approve the writing prompt project

Years
  • Hi there! I want to mention that I did a writing prompt thread when I first became mod here, and I don't mind if someone else wants to do it!

As for feedback, what I did originally was I have folks post their story in the main fanfiction section and then post a link in the writing prompt thread. Sometimes you'll have people give feedback in the story thread itself. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your feedback! I was sure something like this had happened before so it's great to get some feedback from someone who has done this before. Your advice has been taken on board and if you have any other pointers I'd be more than happy to hear them! :)

It is always a good way to get people into writing something creative and different so they can open up to new perspectives

Also, if they are short enough, people can get interested in the author.

Overall I approve the writing prompt project

It's great to hear more people are interested, I'm glad you agree and thank you for showing your interest in this!

Years
  • I love these sorts of things but in practice I always have too much else going on and can't really participate without burning myself out. Nonetheless I support this idea very much. I'd definitely say do it how Bay described though.

Years
  • I love these sorts of things but in practice I always have too much else going on and can't really participate without burning myself out. Nonetheless I support this idea very much. I'd definitely say do it how Bay described though.

Yeah I completely understand that! Thank you for your positive feedback, I guess you could always challenge yourself to make a two sentence story or something if you have less time? :D

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I've been needing to get back into writing, so I'd give it a shot. And speaking of two sentence stories, I think putting a twist on the prompts by adding optional challenges like that would be really cool. Like...

"You wake up to find yourself in a strange house."
    Please include at least one of the following elements: an allergy, a cat, the color pink

Or we could have a word limit or something like that.

Years
  • I've been needing to get back into writing, so I'd give it a shot. And speaking of two sentence stories, I think putting a twist on the prompts by adding optional challenges like that would be really cool. Like...

"You wake up to find yourself in a strange house."
    Please include at least one of the following elements: an allergy, a cat, the color pink

Or we could have a word limit or something like that.

Ooooh I like that idea! I'll have to come up with some interesting challenges too!

It looks as though most people are in favour of the idea, which is great!
    How long would people like to have in between the challenges? Is 2 weeks too long or too short?

Back