• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Pokémon Roleplay/Fanfic Teasers

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hello, I have an idea for a "Fan work showcase" article series. In short terms, it would be featuring a fanfic or a RP story, perhaps on a weekly or biweekly basis (it would depend a bit on how many RPs/Fics we have and how fast they develop). This would mainly be about pokémon works, unless it could be suitable at some point to feature something else.

We'd put a sweet name on the article series, and the articles themselves would be titled something eye-catching or perhaps just the RP/Fic's name also. They would then have a short introduction and presentation on what you are about to read, and then the story would follow.

For fics, it would be pretty straightforward.
    One (or a few, if they are very short) chapter would be copied directly from its PC thread as the content of the article. Possibly, we could have artists illustrate it, not sure how many would like to do that without compensation though, haha. I talked about this with bobandbill and we might need to think about how much we'd want to edit the story texts before publishing as a Daily article. In terms of spelling errors and possibly foul language (?).

The idea would be to perhaps feature a few chapters from the same story, before saying that that's enough of a teaser at the end of an article and end with a link to the actual fic thread on PokéCommunity forums. It would be a neat way of spotlighting some fanwork without immediately directing readers back to the forums. Unless we'd prefer to just link to the fic thread in every article...​

For RPs, it might be a bit more complicated, but also very interesting!
    A point in RPing on PC has always been that we write stories together, pieces of text that should basically be possible to read afterwords as a coherent story. By merging different players' posts together, this can be achieved and posted in Daily as a proper story. However, this will most likely require even more editing than copying a fic would, since roleplayers use different tenses (help) and sometimes even different personal perspectives (god help us) within the same RP. not to mention all the colors and css

There are different ways in which this could be done. I could make sure to get permission from every poster included to edit their texts for Daily, and probably show them the result before publishing every article.

We could also choose to keep the individual styles of the different players, and even pronounce this by styling their pieces differently in some way. Perhaps with color, perhaps by italicizing or bolding some. But I feel like this would make the story sort of horrible to read haha.

The best part of all this, again, is that if I can be allowed to make many RP posts look like one single story, we strengthen the point we've been making about RPing here being collaborative writing. Plus, getting your work showcased is usually something people want, and might be an incentive for writing (and writing well)!​

I hope somebody thinks this idea could work! If people know of pokémon fanfiction not from PC, that could also be featured. I guess I'd keep this thread open here for suggestions on what to feature next c: Or perhaps make threads in the Roleplay Theatre and Fanfiction & Writing sections to be closer to the actual writers.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm not sure of how you plan to approach the pieces you will copy/paste. To be honest I don't understand what this is about haha. From what I've read:

This means you will copy/paste player's post and make an article? What I need to know before I can think of anything to suggest is: Besides merging posts and making a story, what exactly will you be writing? Or is this just meant to be a story, rather an article? Seriously though, I'm missing something here haha.

I'm not exactly sure on the method, but I think the purpose here is obvious. It's basically creating a synopsis like on the back of a book or DVD to promote interest.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Anyway, if the article per se is built from direct quotes and a synopsis doesn't make too much sense to be a PokéCommunity Daily article. Seems more like advertising.
    That's what a showcase is. It advertises a person's work to bring special attention to it. What Rika wants to do is advertise a fanfic or a RP to Daily's audience (that might not otherwise know about the existence of said fic/RP) using teasers of the work. It's like a movie trailer, only for the written word.

Posting it to Daily is just an attempt to remind Daily readers that yes, the magazine is attached to a forum that offers a variety of activities and creative works. We're trying to make sure that the PokéCommunity part of the magazine's name remains.

Maybe instead of a synopsis, approach the article as a review, and make comments about how the fans can twist the story to make it suitable to all kind of hobbies, like RPs and FanFics; and maybe from there make a comparison on the Pokémon storylines, how the writers of the Anime approach the story, and how the fans are twisting them.
    Perhaps there could be some review of the story itself, but that wouldn't really work for an RP. RPs don't get reviewed in the same way stories do. (At least as far as I'm aware.)

Parts of the rest of your suggestion confuse me, for a few reasons. I don't want to make assumptions on what you're talking about, so do you mind explaining it further?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Okay, maybe the word "teaser" was misguiding. Basically what I proposed when talking to Jake and bobandbill about this before was to post whole chapters/decently long parts of a fic/RP and that would constitute the "article". It's like in paper magazines when you sometimes see short novels, the actual story would be in Daily as a series. Not just the back of a dvd cover. Then after a few glimpses (unless it was a one-shot fic), we'd link to the thread on PC and say "liked this week's story? Continue reading here!"

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh so it was showcase :P

There's not much to suggest here, I think. Other than writing appealing titles to catch people's interest.
    Haha, I'll try!

I guess this isn't 100% set in stone to work unless I can find a RP where I can get all relevant players' permission to use their text. Would list the players at the top or bottom of the article of course, credit would obviously be due.

Bay

Years
  • For fics, it would be pretty straightforward.
    One (or a few, if they are very short) chapter would be copied directly from its PC thread as the content of the article. Possibly, we could have artists illustrate it, not sure how many would like to do that without compensation though, haha. I talked about this with bobandbill and we might need to think about how much we'd want to edit the story texts before publishing as a Daily article. In terms of spelling errors and possibly foul language (?).

The idea would be to perhaps feature a few chapters from the same story, before saying that that's enough of a teaser at the end of an article and end with a link to the actual fic thread on PokéCommunity forums. It would be a neat way of spotlighting some fanwork without immediately directing readers back to the forums. Unless we'd prefer to just link to the fic thread in every article...​

I think this is plausible. Concerning how much edits, I think for those stories that get chosen to be featured we can go to the story's thread and suggest the edits as a normal review . I agree that threads for FFW and RPT announcing this would reach the writers and RPers better that way.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'm in favour of a showcase for fics and RPs!

In short terms, it would be featuring a fanfic or a RP story, perhaps on a weekly or biweekly basis (it would depend a bit on how many RPs/Fics we have and how fast they develop). This would mainly be about pokémon works, unless it could be suitable at some point to feature something else.
    To reiterate, while the preference is for Pokemon themed ones, non-Pokemon stories/rps can be used for this as well. Just ideally Pokemon themed works being most of the time, haha.
    We'd put a sweet name on the article series, and the articles themselves would be titled something eye-catching or perhaps just the RP/Fic's name also.
    Any ideas for names/naming scheme?

"Fanfiction Showcase/Roleplay Showcase" respectively may not be 'sweet' for the series names, but they are clear. We can go with fancier names for individual articles, e.g. something that's related to the story itself (so a case-by-case basis). The excerpt can be clear that it's a feature on a fic or rp as well, which helps as they show up with every article title.
    They would then have a short introduction and presentation on what you are about to read, and then the story would follow.
    Agreed with an introduction beforehand.

I think the introduction needs to be a synopsis of the story (without too many spoilers), give a content rating (for cases when stories have stuff like swears or mature themes), and name the author with a link to their profile. Anything else here?
    For fics, it would be pretty straightforward.

Agreed on one rather than a few unless they are short.

As for artists illustrating, we may get some people on board for artist, but weekly/biweekly may be too frequent for creating art from scratch, and it isn't the focus of such articles. Fine with that option being allowed, but not something I'd require of each article.
    I think this is plausible. Concerning how much edits, I think for those stories that get chosen to be featured we can go to the story's thread and suggest the edits as a normal review . I agree that threads for FFW and RPT announcing this would reach the writers and RPers better that way.
    With editing, I think just simple spelling/grammar errors. Swears we will need to discuss with rest of Daily staff imo, but maybe we could just ensure there is content warning before the fic about the such.

How will fics/RPs be chosen - by you two mods solely, or will you say allow input from users? (I'd say people shouldn't suggest their own works however). This thread can be used as Rika mentioned elsewhere too for suggestions, and then individual workshop threads for each article. I don't mind threads being made in the respective section first, as long as there's some announcement of 'we're going to tackle this piece for the next article *link* please approve' happening here as well so we can easily keep tabs. =)
    The idea would be to perhaps feature a few chapters from the same story, before saying that that's enough of a teaser at the end of an article and end with a link to the actual fic thread on PokéCommunity forums. It would be a neat way of spotlighting some fanwork without immediately directing readers back to the forums. Unless we'd prefer to just link to the fic thread in every article...
    I think we should have a link to the full fic in every article. One pro is that people interested may go and not only read but also review the fic, so the author wins out even more.
    A point in RPing on PC has always been that we write stories together, pieces of text that should basically be possible to read afterwords as a coherent story. By merging different players' posts together, this can be achieved and posted in Daily as a proper story. However, this will most likely require even more editing than copying a fic would, since roleplayers use different tenses (help) and sometimes even different personal perspectives (god help us) within the same RP. not to mention all the colors and css

There are different ways in which this could be done. I could make sure to get permission from every poster included to edit their texts for Daily, and probably show them the result before publishing every article.
    Sounds good to me.
    We could also choose to keep the individual styles of the different players, and even pronounce this by styling their pieces differently in some way. Perhaps with color, perhaps by italicizing or bolding some. But I feel like this would make the story sort of horrible to read haha.
    Agreed. We'll see how it's best formatted in an article, but I'd avoid excessive formatting with colours or bolding, etc.
    If people know of pokémon fanfiction not from PC, that could also be featured. I guess I'd keep this thread open here for suggestions on what to feature next c: Or perhaps make threads in the Roleplay Theatre and Fanfiction & Writing sections to be closer to the actual writers.
    I certainly know of some, new and old. I'd say Bay does as well, haha.

After the above gets settled on we can move to approving the idea and putting this into motion!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I basically agree with you on most points.

The title of the article series would definitely be something cooler than the title of this thread. I just wanted to make it clear what it was about here d:

You'd prefer for the stories featured to be mere teasers rather than a series? I guess that would make sense. And be easier, definitely, when it comes to RPs that might not always have gotten very far yet. Any idea of what word count would be suitable per article? Approximately.

As for how fics/RPs are chosen, I was actually kinda thinking I could just pick them myself? For fics, it would obviously be better if you or Bay helped picking good stuff, and maybe you guys would even like to format the whole article then c: But for RPs, some will really be better suited for this than others and I think the easiest way to do it would simply to let me (and maybe with gimmepie's input if he wants in~) is just to pick what we think will fit. Do you disagree?

Bay

Years
  • As for how fics/RPs are chosen, I was actually kinda thinking I could just pick them myself? For fics, it would obviously be better if you or Bay helped picking good stuff, and maybe you guys would even like to format the whole article then c: But for RPs, some will really be better suited for this than others and I think the easiest way to do it would simply to let me (and maybe with gimmepie's input if he wants in~) is just to pick what we think will fit. Do you disagree?

I don't mind myself and bobandbill picking the fics to be featured. I know there are a lot of fics I haven't gotten the chance to read yet, but I can perhaps always skim read or maybe if needed get input from the fanfic regulars (though I agree no recommending your own works).

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I basically agree with you on most points.

The title of the article series would definitely be something cooler than the title of this thread. I just wanted to make it clear what it was about here d:
    Then this will need to be thought up here. =p
    You'd prefer for the stories featured to be mere teasers rather than a series? I guess that would make sense. And be easier, definitely, when it comes to RPs that might not always have gotten very far yet. Any idea of what word count would be suitable per article? Approximately.
    I'm not sure tbh - any will do! That said, for really long ones, there may need to be some page coding done first by Jake for a 'longform article' (I do not presently know what is involved but it's being planned for another article anyway). I wouldn't worry about word count much though.
    As for how fics/RPs are chosen, I was actually kinda thinking I could just pick them myself? For fics, it would obviously be better if you or Bay helped picking good stuff, and maybe you guys would even like to format the whole article then c: But for RPs, some will really be better suited for this than others and I think the easiest way to do it would simply to let me (and maybe with gimmepie's input if he wants in~) is just to pick what we think will fit. Do you disagree?
    No objections from me with this. I suppose you could still allow members to suggest them but just be in charge of it otherwise. =)
    I don't mind myself and bobandbill picking the fics to be featured. I know there are a lot of fics I haven't gotten the chance to read yet, but I can perhaps always skim read or maybe if needed get input from the fanfic regulars (though I agree no recommending your own works).
    Yep, sounds good!

Article series is approved btw! Just needs ideas/decision on the article series name/s. Can use this thread for individual discussion and separate threads in here/your respective sections for individual articles, as long as you post here about it if you go with the latter.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    How does this sound:

Finding Fiction: [name of featured rp/fic here]
    Become inspired by teasers of written fanworks in the form of fiction and roleplays! *maybe another word or two*

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • How does this sound:

Finding Fiction: [name of featured rp/fic here]
    Become inspired by teasers of written fanworks in the form of fiction and roleplays! *maybe another word or two*
    I think the excerpt should be more specific to the actual article. Excerpts change for every article. Unless you mean that to be a description for the article series, but that's different to categories.

Fine with the title however!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Alright. Yes, that could be a general article series description then.

I'm currently talking about the first article with the involved roleplayers (:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well, this took forever, partly due to me taking a leave in the middle of it all.

I want to simplify things, and I might start with a post and RP of my own just to get things going. I have options though. The first one is from a fakemon RP that's going really well lately. But I'm not sure how to format things o:

181_small_zpsolo0g03q.png
    123_small_zpsethbcw4m.png

art by forum user Royal.

Delirium - a roleplay led by forum user Royal.
    blurb text: Veriti, a beautiful, rich, and incredibly vast region is home to over two hundred unique Pokemon never before documented. However, that all changed about five years ago – Pokemon and humans alike started to become aggressive. Gyms, contests, and training allowances were closed down and stopped. Doctors, professors, and high-ranked professionals of the League set out to find a cure for this Hysteria, but have not yet been successful… (can probably be shortened more if necessary)

Featured post by forum user CDB. His trainer, Brass, is trekking in the wild, meeting fakemon's of the game master's creation!

It was now well into the day, but that didn't make the trek any easier. Brass took every step with the caution of a city dweller, unsure of when he would slip on the ill-placed rock and fall to his earthy demise. Hastecaller had run ahead; he knew the way to Celeste City, though his swarm usually took great care to stay away from human interaction. Not that he heeded the warnings, though - his name was Hastecaller for good reason. He didn't look behind to see if Brass was following; Brass' loud footsteps and occasional mumbling were enough to signal his location to everything in the area.

There was a short series of thumps, and Hastecaller immediately turned toward its source. Brass looked, but he couldn't see anything. Lyla's aura flared as she concentrated her power. Hastecaller's body sparked with electricity, and webs shot out from his mouth. There was a cry and a splash of sand sprayed the trainer and his Pokemon. A pair of brown rabbit Pokemon emerged, both of them stuck in electrified webbing. They struggle to move, but the electricity now coursing through their bodies made it difficult for them to react with any real speed. One of them quickly shook it off and was furiously dashing toward Hastecaller.

Brass spit some sand out of his mouth. He examined the two Gembur; the electrified one had a topaz on its forehead, while the other had an emerald. They seemed young, though, and this was a chance to see Hastecaller's battle capabilities. He gestured for Lyla to fall back and her aura dimmed, but she stayed alert. Hastecaller barely dodged the enraged Headbutt, and the emerald Gembur snarled as it was wrapped up in a String Shot. Before it could break free, Hastecaller bit it hard and instantly regretted his decision. The Gembur was deceivingly sturdy, and this time, it slammed its head into Hastecaller. He reeled back in pain, dashing away before Gembur could Headbutt him again.

In the corner of his eye, he saw the topaz Gembur rushing in for a Headbutt as well; he was pincered between the two charging Gembur and froze, seemingly unsure of what to do. Right when they were about to collide with him, he rolled out of the way, and the two Gembur hit each other head on. They took a second to regain their composure, but Hastecaller was already shooting an Electroweb. The two Gembur were caught in the electrified web, and Hastecaller circled them, string shooting out of his mouth. The sticky combination left the Gembur barely able to move, and Hastecaller trilled triumphantly as he watched them struggle. Instead of making them faint, however, he ripped the webbing apart, and the two Gembur hopped away as fast as they could.

Brass smiled, impressed by Hastecaller's quick thinking. Lyla flashed green and purple; the two would get along just fine. They continued walking; they occasionally ran into some Krihte, but they all treated Hastecaller with reverence. They would pass along whatever news they heard, and through Lyla's rough translation, it seemed that another trainer had beaten Andie, as well as many of the forest's Pokemon. Brass frowned; he never enjoyed the idea of making wild Pokemon faint. They had no access to any reliable source of healing, and their injuries would leave them ill-equiped to defend themselves in the future.

When the sun was beginning to set, Brass found himself nearing the edge of the forest. He had been blindly following Hastecaller and had expected to continue along the rocky part of Route 1, but he realized as they went further into the forest that he was being led to a cabin. The building seemed abandoned to the forces of nature; it was enveloped by vines and fallen leaves, the wood a dark dirty brown. The healing box was still functional, and Brass returned his Pokemon to their Pokeballs to heal them before letting them back out again.

The trees made the night exceptionally dark, but starlight softly filtered through the gaps in the leaves. It was a sight Brass had never been able to experience back in the city. Some Pokemon howled in the distance, their voices echoing each other as they joined together in appreciation of the night sky. Brass left Lyla and Hastecaller to their own endeavors; he fell asleep as soon as he closed his eyes, preparing himself mentally and physically for another long day.

alternative:

ezimba13145313973100.jpg

art by forum user Hands.

Team Spirit - a roleplay led by forum user Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers.
    blurb text: There are no humans in this world. Pokémon live in cities and houses and use machines and go to work like humans would in our world. However, there are also many pokémon who don't live in cities. Some pokémon from the naturally wild species are trying to find a role in the modern life by using their talents as best as they can. Likewise, there are members of modern species who have decided to live in the wild instead... (can probably be shortened more if necessary)

Featured post by forum user Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers.

The Feisty Pinsir wasn't too busy during daytime. Like any pub, it still had its regulars coming in at their regular times though. One of the newer ones was currently leaning on the counter with a heavy posture. Eyes closed, wings folded, both red elbows resting against the wood, pincers gripping a tall glass of strong nectar. The barman knew by now not to give her alcohol. Not even in the evenings. The imposing Scizor came here to seemingly meditate before her training. The strong nectar would make weaker pokémon extremely hyper, but this fighter gained focus from it, or so she claimed. Considering how much of the substance he had fed her over the past days though, the barman wondered if she could ever get energized from anything else anymore.

In the corner of the pub was a group of local pokémon. The kind who considered this their bar and liked to look at newcomers with condescending gazes. They usually didn't pose any real problem, but the barman had been having his eyes on them for the last hour, as their gazes had been unusually focused on the red battler at the counter. Probably because there was almost nobody else here right now.

Uh-oh. One of them, a bulky Primeape male, was getting up. He walked slowly towards the counter, a smug grin plastered to his face, his buddies chuckling in the background. The barman let a pair of experienced tentacles sneak onto the table behind the counter while his front tentacles were still polishing a glass like they had been for the past minute. If something happened, he'd be able to jump up and intervene in a split second.

Primeape sat down on a stool, a bit too close to the Scizor for what decent strangers would feel comfortable with.

"Another round, Mitch!" his raspy voice told the barman, who nodded nonchalantly and used some additional tentacles to pour up a number of simple beers for the group.

Scizor hadn't moved an inch.

"Hey, bug lady," Primeape said more loudly. "You still breathing or did that non-alcoholic drink kill you?"

He was rewarded by laughter from his buds in the corner.

She replied without opening her eyes: "Still breathing. And a sip from this drink would likely kill you, sir."

Primeape just laughed. "Hey. You, uh, you like it here? In Petalburg?"

"Not particularly, no," she replied quickly and then actually opened her eyes and turned to face him. Her expression was blank. "I'm sorry, is there a point to this conversation?"

The pig ape looked a little bit taken aback at first, but recovered. "We were simply wondering if this fine lady bug would like to sit with us instead of alone up here, hehe."

More laughter from the corner.

"I see. I'll have to decline that offer." With that, she turned back to her drink and chugged the rest of it down. The barman winced slightly at the sight. That's gotta give even her a rush.

"Ah, don't be like that, lady! We're really nice guys," Primeape said with the greatest tone of sympathy he apparently could muster. He put his hand on Scizor's shoulder.

Uh-oh. The tentacles the barman leaned against the table tensed up, ready to jump. He could see a muscle in Scizor's face twitch. She was predictable after all.

The next thing that happened, however, was that a gust of wind hit all three of them in the face. They blinked, and realized that a pokémon that was most definitely not Urban, now stood beside them at the bar. The Staryu made no further sound nor movement, but remained balancing atop one of the stools.

Primeape looked beyond himself with disgust, a bit too much so to be able to find words quite yet. The barman glanced at Scizor, who actually just sighed. Fine, then.

"Can I get you anything?" he offered the newcomer.

Staryu's core blinked once.

"That means - excuse me sir, do you mind," Scizor said and moved away from Primeape's coarse fist. "It means yes."

She knew this creature, then. "What does, uh, it drink?" the barman asked.

"He would probably like a beer. Alcohol soothes him," Scizor said and started moving towards the entrance. "And make it quick, please?"

The large Tentacruel behind the bar nodded and poured a simple lager up in a glass. After putting it on the bar in front of the Freefolker, he observed together with the increasingly enraged Primeape how Staryu dipped one of his arms into the drink and sucked it all up in a matter of seconds. Its core started glowing more intensively, and it gave up a mysterious, sort of bubbly sound before it was gone in another gust of wind, out the door.

"Put it up on my tab, please, Mitch," Scizor said before she left as well.

The barman nodded and finally relaxed. The tentacles that had been ready to jump, slipped back down onto the ground.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers said:
    I want to simplify things, and I might start with a post and RP of my own just to get things going. I have options though. The first one is from a fakemon RP that's going really well lately. But I'm not sure how to format things o:
    Firstly, I think both examples look fine to me overall. I'd say that each article should have a short introduction paragraph explaining the series and include a link to the RP section, and maybe a short couple sentences at the end re-linking to the RP thread in question.

I say re-linking because I feel that should certainly be done earlier (before the blurb, e.g. 'Team Spirit - a roleplay led by forum user Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers.') The blurbs don't need to be shortened - if anything they could be longer (not necessary, but with length I think longer is better than shorter!).

Users mentioned should have their names in italics and the first instance of their name in any article linking to their profile page.

For the blurbs, we can do a quote formatting thing on WordPress - see bottom of e.g. Eevee Fanworks article.
    His trainer, Brass, is trekking in the wild, meeting fakemon's of the game master's creation!
    I feel fakemon is better than Fakemon, but with plurals we should stick to the same convention used for Pokemon - so one fakemon, two fakemon, and no need for the "'s" here.

Images are neat. How often do you think they'd be able to be used for each RP though? I ask because we'll need cover art for each article, so the choices are a) something relevant to the RP/fic being featured, and b) a reuseable default cover image (maybe two, one for RP articles and one for fanfiction articles?) If you have any ideas for these do share as well!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I agree, linking early and re-linking afterwards.

I could lengthen the blurbs a bit! Looking at the Eevee post, I see that there's first the name of the series (or article?) and then the small text that accompanies it around the site. Did we say that this small text should stay the same throughout the article series, or change a bit each time?

Then comes an intro text, which is what I called "blurb" here. We could probably add what I wrote after "featured post by user x" into this intro text, right? Is that what you'd like to quote-format, then?

As for the 's it was a spelling error, haha. Thanks for catching it.

All usernames in italics, link the first instance, got it.

Art will be tricky for RPs unless there is an artist helping out, or unless we can use official art that somehow fits, won't it? In these cases I was lucky to have a resident artist draw me a little thing (I can probably fix the image up a bit before we publish though!) and Royal makes his own fakemon.

I'm not sure how you mean. Will there be two images? One as the header, always being the same for roleplays etc, and one featured within the article, or?

I'm sorry that this is still confusing for me, thank you for being patient haha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I agree, linking early and re-linking afterwards.

I could lengthen the blurbs a bit! Looking at the Eevee post, I see that there's first the name of the series (or article?) and then the small text that accompanies it around the site. Did we say that this small text should stay the same throughout the article series, or change a bit each time?
    Which small text is this, the excerpt right below the title/cover image, or the thing below _that_ to the right? If the former, I think it should change each article and reflect the article's content in some way. It's how it's done for every other article after all, including those in a series. If the latter, that's automatic.

Then comes an intro text, which is what I called "blurb" here. We could probably add what I wrote after "featured post by user x" into this intro text, right? Is that what you'd like to quote-format, then?
    I more though that featured post could be the quote-format.
    Art will be tricky for RPs unless there is an artist helping out, or unless we can use official art that somehow fits, won't it? In these cases I was lucky to have a resident artist draw me a little thing (I can probably fix the image up a bit before we publish though!) and Royal makes his own fakemon.
    Official art that somehow fits is always an option! And yes, I imagine it would be, hence my suggestion that we have a default cover image for RP/Fic feature articles that can be reused that someone on the artist Daily team kindly cooks up - used whenever there isn't a specific image that already exists for the particular RP/Fic. Few options could be just a banner-esque thing with the name of the article series in it, or maybe using an official Pokemon image of say a library or Shauntal (Elite-Four member who also writes).
    I'm not sure how you mean. Will there be two images? One as the header, always being the same for roleplays etc, and one featured within the article, or?
    Has to be an image for the header, and optional if there's an image within the article or not (not necessary).

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    to be put in Fanbase Features!

iEYf3ww.png

Article series name: Creative Teaser
    Article name: Fakemon journey roleplay!
    text beneath title on the list etc:
    We're giving you a sneak peek at a written Pokémon roleplay featuring new designs of the Game Master's own creation: "Delirium"!

In this new article series, we will showcase some of the collaborative written art the members of the PokéCommunity forums make, in the form of roleplays. The posts on the site can be read in succession as a continuous story, and here we will look at excerpts of some interesting ones. We're starting with "Delirium", a daring endeavor by forum user Royal who creates her own fakemon for the roleplayers to capture during their adventures through the region of Veriti. The full roleplay can be found here on the PokéCommunity forums. Following is a featured post by forum user CDB. His trainer, Brass, is trekking in the wild with his companions...

Veriti, a beautiful, rich, and incredibly vast region is home to over two hundred unique pokémon never before documented. For the past twenty years, Veriti had opened its borders to other regions, allowing them to enter and travel around through the beautiful landscapes, battle gyms, compete in contests, and even allow to settle down. Instead of the normal eight Gym Leaders, Veriti has nine. Of course, to keep Veriti's environments the same as much as possible, laws were set down so non-native Veriti pokémon couldn't be released into the environments; they could only be owned. For years, it worked and Veriti became one of the most coveted areas to travel. However, that all changed about five years ago – pokémon and humans alike started to become aggressive. They could no longer recognize themselves or their friends. The numbers of the Afflicted continued to rise. Two years after the Hysteria began, non-native Veriti persons on Training Permits were asked to leave the region. Only native Veriti persons were allowed to stay. Gyms, contests, and training allowances were closed down and stopped. Doctors, professors, and high-ranked professionals of the League set out to find a cure for this Hysteria, but have not yet been successful...

(note: this is to be quote formatted, perhaps?)
    A cascade of water greeted them, the likes of which Julia had not seen in at least four years. Gallons of water poured from the cliff above each second, tumbling into free fall before colliding with a harsh pool of aquamarine liquid. It formed a pond, at least one hundred feet in diameter, that rapidly emptied downhill to create the rushing river that split their path. The waterfall was over eighty feet tall, Julia craned her neck to try and see the top of it. Around the pond, a large tree-less area rested, created by times of flooding and drought; Julia guessed they were in between those two phases. The waterfall bridged the cliff area and the forest area of the path to Celeste City, likely if they travelled upward they could get a good vantage point of the forest, something Julia wanted to try. Vague rustling interrupted Julia's thoughts.

The pond was spectacular, to say the least. Lyla pulsed pink and purple in admiration as the group stopped by the edge of the water. Brass dipped his hands into the cool, crisp water, pooling it within his palms as he took a sip and splashed his sweaty face. He sighed, a smile on his face, as he watched Lyla plunge into the water without hesitation. She flashed green and orange, clearly enjoying the respite from an arduous journey. They were soon interrupted by the sound of many, many skittering legs, followed by a light screech that rang through the still forest. With furrowed eyebrows, Brass looked around to find the source of the noise. It didn't take long for him to spot the swarm of small, purple Bug pokémon that was scuttling down the cliff and rapidly approaching the two trainers. He started back, unsure of what to do, but he quickly composed himself when he realized that they didn't seem to mean any harm. He glanced toward Julia and asked, "Well?"

Julia's face immediately broke into a smile, "Those are Krihte! I've never actually seen them before in person, but they're super friendly bug types. They never mean any harm to humans, and are actually quite fond of them. You could probably easily catch one if you wanted to." The group of Krihte was composed of at least thirty bugs, all rolling and jumping down the mountainside toward the two trainers, like an avalanche of purple fuzz. On the way down, a shriek echoed through the forest, one very different than the call of the Krihte. A small, green, angry looking bug tumbled down the cliff after being crushed by the stampede and hopped off into the forest. Julia watched the Mantiby go, viewing the scene with a feeling of awe. Pearl cowered behind her legs.

Brass saw the Mantiby hop away, but his attention was focused on the Krihte before him. They surrounded him and Julia, their furry bodies brushing against each other as they all tried to get a better look at the humans. Their purple tails swished back and forth. Some Krihte seemed to be more timid, preferring to stay further away from Brass, while others had no qualms climbing up his legs. One particular Krihte had climbed onto his shoulder and curled up, enjoying its new perch. Lyla hovered to the side, quietly laughing at the sight of her trainer overcome by small Bug pokémon. He likes you, she said, pointing to the Krihte. "Does he now?" Brass asked, reaching a hand up to pet the bug. The Krihte chirped, and it looked down at all the other Krihte as if to lord over them. "Perhaps you'd like to come along with us," Brass offered. "Do you have a name?" The Krihte chittered, and Brass glanced over to Lyla. Bug, she giggled, spinning in the air as her aura glowed orange. Brass rolled his eyes; Lyla grinned, and said, "His family calls him Hastecaller." "Hastecaller, huh," Brass said. The Krihte screeched proudly, his legs rapidly tapping on Brass' head.

047_small_zpsg0hozy3i.png

Hastecaller, a member of the species called Krithe.

"Hastecaller?" Julia stared at the exchange going on before her for an instant, before grinning at the creatures that surrounded her. She relaxed her muscles, allowing the bugs to climb all over her body. It tickled her, and she laughed, falling into the mud. Pearl cried out in fear, quickly becoming overwhelmed by the sea of purple. She curled up into a tight ball, her twin tails flailing around in a feeble attempt to keep the bugs at bay. One Krihte perched comfortably on Julia's face, blotting out her view of the other pokémon.

A piercing scream shot through the forest, eclipsing the hubbub of bugs and silencing all conversation. After the one scream, a chorus of others followed, Julia's ears hurt a little. Suddenly, like the plague, a cloud of Mantiby erupted from the forest on both sides of the gathering, descending on the pile of Krihte and humans like a bringer of death. Julia rose to her feet and removed the Krihte from her face to see what was going on. It leapt out of her arms and war broke loose.

"Let's get out of here," Brass exclaimed as the Krihte around him screeched in response to the onslaught of Mantiby. They bit at each other in a frenzy, surrounding the trainers in a whirlwind of manic Bugs. Brass gestured to Lyla, and she began to concentrate, her aura pulsing a deep blue. Neither the Krihte or the Mantiby seemed to be affected, however, and Lyla's attempt at calming them only angered them further. The rumbling of the waterfall was joined by high pitched shrieks as the battle continued. Hastecaller had already left Brass' shoulder and was leading a charge against a wave of opposing Mantiby, spewing string from his mouth to slow them down as the other Krihte rushed forward to attack. "We have to leave before things get worse," Brass called out. He motioned to Lyla again, and her aura began to intensify. Energy rippled through the area, and the rocky ground began to shake. Beams shot from Lyla's body, hitting some of the Mantiby, and before they could retaliate, Lyla released an empowered Confusion toward the ones in the way. Brass used this opening to break through the crowd, but Hastecaller was still engaged in battle.

"We won't make Hastecaller leave his swarm behind. He'll find his way to us after this affair is over," he said to Lyla, who nodded in response. In his scramble to get away, he had lost track of where Julia, and he couldn't make out what was happening when he glanced back at the fray. She'd find her way out.

Julia watched Brass disappear into the woods and she called out after him, but it was to no avail. She was sure they would find each other at some point in the future but Julia was content to traverse the forest alone. The path that the Kadporah had cleared in the bugs quickly closed itself and Julia was left, stuck in the sea of angry pokémon. Her mind flailed, searching for escape routes, and unsure of what to do. "Pearl! Use Rollout!" She sent out her Minu as well, "Einstein, use Water Gun and get them out of here!!" A Mantiby stood in front of Pearl and she leaped into it, knocking it to the side. Einstein sprayed it with water and the pokémon screeched. It rushed toward Einstein, spraying it with string, but Pearl slammed into it. The Mantiby fainted.

Two more rushed toward Julia, a Krihte lunged into it, smashing it away, the water type sprayed the other one with more water. Pearl smashed into it and it fainted. After her speed had increased significantly and she plowed a path through the bugs, back down the mountain toward the place they came from. Julia sprinted after the rolling Corscale, disappearing out of control. Einstein stayed unmoving in the center of the crowd of bugs, staring blankly at the horde, only occasionally opening his mouth to spray attackers with water. His trainer returned him to his Pokéball quickly, trying not to loose sight of her partner. A Mantiby jumped down the path after her.

Pearl collided with a tree, loosing all momentum. Julia rushed to Pearl and scooped her up in her arms, anxious to get away from the swarm as soon as possible. She clumsily raced down the mountain, tripping over a rock and face planting into the river. Pearl flew into the stream and was carried downward a little by the current, catching a rock and pulling herself up onto it. Julia treaded water and screamed as the Mantiby leaped off of the bank and onto her back, biting at her with Bug Bite. She flailed and knocked it off of her back, activating the Pokéball that held Einstein in it.

The minnow pokémon erupted from his Pokéball and rushed into the water, back in its home territory for the first time in awhile. Immediately he threw himself into the thrashing Mantiby, making a loud clang. It careened back into the water, whisked away by the current, but, Einstein was not done. He shot around to the other side and pushed the little bug pokémon forward with a Water Gun. He tossed it around like a little toy.

Julia clambered out of the stream, her entire body soaking. She immediately ripped into her backpack and removed her journal in a frenzied haze. The book was soaked through and through. She rapidly tore out every page with writing on it and laid them out on the ground where a patch of sunlight shined through the dense foliage. She planted her face into her hands and sighed in frustration. Pearl looked on from her perch in the stream. Einstein finally slammed the Mantiby into the side of the river, giving in the opportunity to stagger out of the water, before fainting onto the shoreline. Julia looked on in dejected objectivity.

Even after having covered a decent amount of distance, Brass could still hear the cries of Krihte and Mantiby. He was now quite a ways off the main trail; the forest had given way to a rocky outcrop. Small weeds poked out from between the rocks, starving for good soil. The luscious leafy scent from the forest had faded away. It was quiet, and Brass lay down on his back, still sweating from the previous encounter. Lyla hovered above him, a splash of pink against the vast blue sky. The only sounds to be heard were the occasional soft screech from far away and pebbles rolling with the wind. A triumphant shrill interrupted their silent respite, and Brass sat up to find Hastecaller dashing toward him. He smiled.​

Interested in reading on? You can find the post here on the PokéCommunity forums!

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think I've edited in all of bobandbill's comments now. I'm still stumped for an article title though. help?

I don't think writing articles is my thing ahahhaha. Good thingy we have many dedicated Dailies now <3

EDIT: does simply "Creative Teaser: Fakemon journey roleplay!" work?

Last edited:
    Back