• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions (FAQ in first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So, Durant with Hustle and using Stone Edge, since hustle makes the accuracy of a move 80% of what it was, does that mean this Durant using Stone Edge (unaided by accuracy boosting) would have an accuracy of 64%?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • So, Durant with Hustle and using Stone Edge, since hustle makes the accuracy of a move 80% of what it was, does that mean this Durant using Stone Edge (unaided by accuracy boosting) would have an accuracy of 64%?

Simply put, yes. Hustle decreases affected moves' accuracy by 20% of their original values. 20% of 80 is 16 in the case of Stone Edge.

Years
  • Alright, so I'm breeding a competitive Shuckle and I have a moveset, but I was wondering which IV I should make low or even 0
    Moveset:
    Power Trick
    Power Split
    Guard split
    Gyro Ball
    Now I was thinking a Relaxed Shuckle with a 0 or low speed, but then the thouht of a Bold with 0 or low attack, and I can't decide which would be better, could I get some opinions with reasons?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Alright, so I'm breeding a competitive Shuckle and I have a moveset, but I was wondering which IV I should make low or even 0
    Moveset:
    Power Trick
    Power Split
    Guard split
    Gyro Ball
    Now I was thinking a Relaxed Shuckle with a 0 or low speed, but then the thouht of a Bold with 0 or low attack, and I can't decide which would be better, could I get some opinions with reasons?

In terms of the set, Shuckle's Speed should be 0. And in terms of practically, it's not practical simply because Shuckle is way too slow to pull this set off. In the time it takes for Shuckle to set up any of those three moves, any physical attacker can easily take it out. Shuckle also doesn't learn any priority moves, making the usefulness of that set even more questionable.

The best niche that Shuckle can pull off here is an entry hazard setter with Sticky Web and Stealth Rock, as it has just enough bulk to set up both hazards:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Sticky Web
    -Encore
    -Infestation/Knock Off/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
    Item: Mental Herb
    Ability: Sturdy

As Shuckle is very weak and very slow, its Attack, Special Attack, and Speed IVs don't matter.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I forgot to mention that this is a double battle breed with trick room. That's a major detail...

In VGC12 (4 years ago), Shuckle was used to an extent, by using either Power Split to weaken attackers or Guard Split to support tanky Pokemon (not both, since it leaves Shuckle strapped for moves). However, Cresselia does general support better in VGC formats, thanks to its higher bulk compared to Shuckle (230 defenses don't really mean anything when it only has 20 HP). As I already mentioned, Power Trick Shuckle is high risk-low reward, since any physical attacker can easily take it out after a Power Trick and the presence of priority moves makes this more difficult.

These are the Split sets that Shuckle used in VGC12; they may not be as effective now, given the power creep:
    -Bug Bite/Helping Hand
    -Rock Slide
    -Power Split
    -Rest
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Chesto Berry

or
    -Guard Split
    -Helping Hand
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Lum Berry/Mental Herb

Years
  • In VGC12 (4 years ago), Shuckle was used to an extent, by using either Power Split to weaken attackers or Guard Split to support tanky Pokemon (not both, since it leaves Shuckle strapped for moves).

See, my idea was to go in and use Power split, weakening the enemy, then use trick room on the same turn. Use Power trick to swap my Atk and Def, then, possibly depending on if it's a tank/wall, use guard split, lowering what they have as a Def with what used to be my Atk and balancing that, or not if its a sweeper. Then making use of my very low speed and very high attack use gyro ball in the trick room environment.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • See, my idea was to go in and use Power split, weakening the enemy, then use trick room on the same turn. Use Power trick to swap my Atk and Def, then, possibly depending on if it's a tank/wall, use guard split, lowering what they have as a Def with what used to be my Atk and balancing that, or not if its a sweeper. Then making use of my very low speed and very high attack use gyro ball in the trick room environment.

Trick Room lasts for only 5 turns, including the turn it's first used. In that case, Shuckle will only have 3 turns to attack before Trick Room wears off. Don't forget that Protect, which can stall out field conditions like Trick Room, is rampant in VGC formats. There's also priority, which can easily take out Shuckle after a Power Trick. That being said, Power Trick is a terrible move, despite the temptingness of giving Shuckle absurd Attack.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I am currently breeding a Shuckle myself, so I was wondering should it have a nature to boost it's Defense or a nature to boost it's Special defense? Does it have more physical or special weaknesses?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I am currently breeding a Shuckle myself, so I was wondering should it have a nature to boost it's Defense or a nature to boost it's Special defense? Does it have more physical or special weaknesses?

Bold is preferred on Shuckle to minimize confusion and Foul Play damage. As all multi-hit attacks are physical, Bold also helps Shuckle take them better.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    Tauros For Single Battle

I recently caught a Sheer Force Tauros in my Pokemon X and i'm looking at good move combinations and naturing for Tauros. I might to used for Single Battles.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Sheer Force Tauros is better if it has Rock Climb, as it's a move that benefits from said ability. However, it's a Dream World-exclusive move, and the Dream World was shut down a few years back. If you're curious about what it runs, here:
    -Rock Climb
    -Earthquake
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Is this a good IV spread for the event Mew?

Mew- #151
    Nature: Careful
    IVs: 31/29/31/x/31/30

Felkyr

Lorekeeper
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2016
    >>>Hi. I'm working on my lil' Sylveon. I'm wondering what order things will be calculated during battle. It has Pixilate, and moves Swift and I intend it to have Hyper-Voice as well for some extra damage. Would a Silk Scarf add any additional power in this case? Silk Scarf's effect would have to be applied before Pixilate for this to work, but I'm hoping it does because then I'm racking up quite a bit of bonus power.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • >>>Hi. I'm working on my lil' Sylveon. I'm wondering what order things will be calculated during battle. It has Pixilate, and moves Swift and I intend it to have Hyper-Voice as well for some extra damage. Would a Silk Scarf add any additional power in this case? Silk Scarf's effect would have to be applied before Pixilate for this to work, but I'm hoping it does because then I'm racking up quite a bit of bonus power.

Choice Specs is the better item to use because it boosts Sylveon's Special Attack by a wide margin and it doesn't mind being locked into Hyper Voice since it tears through even Pokemon that resist it, with the main exceptions being Heatran and Chansey.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • Best fairy checker

I see people use Scizor. Presently i am using a Ferrothorn. Who does everyone think is better or is there another that can check best? I am looking to check Sylveon and Xerneas. I have groudon checking Mawile.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Sylveon is reasonably easy to check since it gets walled pretty easy by most Steel types, especially in VGC where it's unlikely to being running HP Fire/Ground.

Xerneas is much more difficult since Geomancy gives it stupid wallbreaking and sweeping power, so a lot of 'mons that could check it (like Ho-oh, Primal Groudon, several Steels, etc) just get wasted instead or only check it once/are greatly weakened after dealing with it. Max SpDef Gyro Ball Aegislash just barely avoids the 2HKO and does a lot to boosted Xern. Primal Groudon can force it out with Roar or weaken it with T-Wave. A fast Taunter can prevent it from becoming dangerous (sometimes I like to be cute in Ubers and use Yveltal with Taunt against it lol).

I take it Scizor is a popular one because the bulky SD set can eat a hit pretty comfortably, boost, and ignore Xern's speed increase with STAB Technician Bullet Punch, and even heal afterwards. Also has it's one major weakness nullified by Primal Kyogre support.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back