• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I would like to use it one day, tho haven't gotten the chance to so...

Maybe an ill Cubchoo would have an actual liquid snot?

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Cubchoo vs. Teddiursa – which is the cutest, and which would you expect to win in a battle?
I would choose Cubchoo. Teddiursa is great, but I think Cubchoo has the edge. I think Teddiursa would be a little grossed out getting snot on it.

What would you expect the impact radius of an impromptu sneeze from a Cubchoo to be?
I think the CDC would have to be notified and the entire area would have to be quarantined for several months, at least. Clean up would require a specialized crew, most of which went to school just to learn about cleaning up Cubchoo sneezes. They're efficient, but the entire process still takes months and months to complete.

After the initial cleanup, the area around it needs to be rebuilt. For example, in an urban environment, houses would have to be demolished and rebuild and playgrounds would have to be replaced. This is at the direct expense of various people, and it's generally inconvenient.

Given that Cubchoo has a perpetually runny nose – generally considered a sign of poor health in humans – what would you imagine an unhealthy Cubchoo would suffer from?
I think an unhealthy Cubchoo would have a clean nose.

pkmin3033

Yes, if you miss a day, you can still post about the Pokemon from the previous day; there are no strict rules in this thread that I am aware of. xD;

Anyways, I'm torn between revulsion and adoration for Cubchoo...it's one of those ugly-cute things. Like dwarves, or babies...or naked mole rats. I just can't get over the fact that it essentially sneezes all over you when it attacks, haha. It should be a natural carrier of Pokerus or something. It's definitely cuter than Teddiursa, though. Every time I see Teddiursa I think of that evil one back in the Johto anime. Cubchoo never went full-on psychotic, insofar as I'm aware. I've never used one - I prefer to forget my time playing Black - but if I ever replay Black 2 in the future...maybe I'll give it a try. I love ice types <3

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
ROTOM WAS A LEGENDARY IN GEN 4, LET IT SLIP GUYS...

Archeops needs Adaptability or Unburden. either just makes sense for him.

Amphy is a boss

And Cubchoo... ewwww...

I love Ice types, but there are a few I don't like, most of whom were introduced in Gen 5 (Cubchoo/Beartic, Crygonal, Kyurem). Cubchoo and Beartic are a straight recolor and retype of the Teddiursa line, and it one of the few Pokemon I think have terrible designs (because Vanilluxe's is awesome, shut up haters). Never used one and don't plan on doing so any time soon.
Teddysaurus is adorable tho.

EDIT: Did you consider letting the Cave of Dragonflies Zodiac pick the pokemon of the day for you?

pkmin3033

137 - PORYGON

137Porygon.png

"A Pokémon that consists entirely of programming code. Capable of moving freely in cyberspace."

One of the few man-made Pokemon, Porygon is best known for its role in the infamous episode 38, which was banned and never aired outside of Japan after it put over 600 Japanese children in hospital with seizures. Despite the fact that it was actually Pikachu who caused the strobe effect responsible, Porygon and its evolutions have never had a major role in the anime since. Whilst it has been made more readily available in later generations in the wild, for much of the franchise's history the only way to obtain Porygon has been through spending an obscene amount of money or time amassing enough game coins to buy it at the Game Corner.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Porygon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Have you seen episode 38? If so, what did you think of it?
  • Did you ever go out of your way to gather enough game coins to buy Porygon? Is this something you'll do in the virtual console releases later next month?
  • As Porygon has evolved, it has become more streamlined and lighter, mimicking new technology. So, with that in mind, what do you think a Porygon pre-evolution would look like?

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
Years
Porygon
BZiuOZl.png

It's upsetting how it hasn't happened by now, but I really wish Porygon could be given a major episode role in the anime again. I see why they temporarily stopped airing the show, and I see why they didn't show Porygon much for a little while, but pretty much never showing or acknowledging it again? I find that a little upsetting. I'm just trying to figure it out, are they worried parents will be frightened at the sight of Porygon and make their kids stop watching Pokémon out of fear of another similar incident? That's the only reasoning I can think of. And like you said, it was Pikachu's doing (although I think the blame is entirely on whoever thought there it was absolutely okay put a flashing blue/red strobe effect in the show; that still irritatingly baffles me), so it doesn't make much sense.

I honestly have never seen EP038, but I am undoubtedly interested. I've seen the strobe flashing scene, and it doesn't bother me, so I should be fine. I'm planning to go through all the original episodes (in English; I have the complete DVD set) starting on February 27th, I may hop on my computer and watch that episode after I see EP037. This is such a shame because I think Porygon is an awesome Pokémon. And, at the least, we still get its appearances in games and other media, plus they gave it two neat evolutions in Gen II and IV, respectively, so they haven't totally stopped acknowledging it which is nice.

I like Porygon's concept; a man-made Pokémon whose evolutions are basically hardware or computer OS upgrades. It's got a nice design and unique colors. I don't remember specifically using one myself, but I'd be more than happy to one day. :) I haven't even thought about getting it in the RBY 3DS rerelease, but I'll definitely try to when it come out...wait...will the VC release even have a Game Corner anymore? I wonder, since there wasn't any Game Corner in BW or XY, and they axed the Hoenn one in ORAS, possibly because of the gambling thing. If they remove the feature in RBY, I'm sure we'll have some sort of alternative to getting Porygon. But still...it's a pretty big feature.

Also, as I like to try to see the adorable factor in a lot of things, I find Porygon to be no exception :) Just goes to show that even computer programs aren't limited to showing happiness- just lookit that cutie ^^

VMO0POV.gif

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
As Porygon has evolved, it has become more streamlined and lighter, mimicking new technology. So, with that in mind, what do you think a Porygon pre-evolution would look like?

Basically, it'd look like a duck that accidentally wandered into Minecraft, and would have a less colorful pallet.

pkmin3033

Porygon was one of those Pokemon I always wanted as a kid but never had the patience to get, due to the obscene number of game coins needed. I didn't actually get my first Porygon until Pokemon Diamond! I might actually go out of my way to get one in Pokemon Yellow when it comes out on VC next month, haha.

I've seen bits of episode 38, but I've not watched it all the way through. I'm more irritated that Porygon's evolutions haven't shown up in the anime in any significant way because of this; I love their designs.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Porygon's always been kind of an odd ball to me. It's that weird Pokemon over there that I don't put much thought into. I don't really hate it, but I don't really like it either. Although I do find its moves to be unconventional and interesting enough to give it a try. (Like Tri-Attack. I haven't used too many Pokemon with that.)

That said though, I prefer Porygon2 out of the evolution line. Porygon-Z looks like a mess, which I know was the intention. But still. Porygon2 is just more streamlined and I find its 3D animations of dipping like one of those drinking birds to be oddly endearing.

Oh and I never really played the first generation games that much, so I never had a chance to gather up coin for it. I think I probably have one now though. A random one I got in Wonder Trade or something. Maybe I'll give it a shot at some point. It does seem like something I would have if I were an actual Pokemon trainer, what with how much time I spend on a virtual environment.

pkmin3033

700 - SYLVEON

7XxGJKS.png

"It sends a soothing aura from its ribbonlike feelers to calm fights."

Introduced in the sixth generation, Sylveon is unique in that it is the only Pokemon of that generation to be connected to a previous one – being another evolved form of Eevee – and was one of the first fairy-types officially revealed in the run-up to the game's release. In the anime, Sylveon made its debut in Eevee and Friends alongside its evolutionary counterparts, and it was used by the fairy-type Gym Leader Valerie against Ash in battle, and has had a few other, minor roles. Serena's Eevee will also be evolving into Sylveon in an upcoming episode.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Sylveon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Before it was revealed to be a Fairy type, what type of Pokemon did you think Sylveon was?
  • How does Sylveon compare to the other Eeveelutions in your opinion?
  • What did you think of Sylveon's evolutionary requirements? If given the choice, would you change them?

Adam Levine

Years
What sort of plant bulb do you think Bulbasaur has, and what would it taste like?

Bulbasaur's is probably just a flower that hasn't bloomed yet. Also the juice would be poisonous to some.

What do you think of Marill's early concept art? Is it better or worse than the final design?

No. JUST NO. I don't think I can live with a purple Pikachu with a tail like that.

What is your opinion of Marill's re-classification to a dual Water/Fairy type? Does the added type suit it?

Now that I think about it, I'm like: "Really? REALLY?" Dedenne got it and I was like, "WHY?" and for Marill? Do rodents need to be fairies? But the type gave it a buff, which is cool, so...

How does Sylveon compare to the other Eeveelutions in your opinion?

Sylveon is...better. It can have Pixilate as an ability, and looks much better. Also...Fairy-types are some of my most favorites.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Have you seen episode 38? If so, what did you think of it?
Dennou Senshi Porygon. I've seen it, but I didn't have any medical issue with it, and I didn't think it was an overly great episode. It was nice to see Porygon in action, though.

Did you ever go out of your way to gather enough game coins to buy Porygon? Is this something you'll do in the virtual console releases later next month?
I did, for my living dex. But, I always just bought the coins instead of gambling for them.

As Porygon has evolved, it has become more streamlined and lighter, mimicking new technology. So, with that in mind, what do you think a Porygon pre-evolution would look like?
I think it would have less edges and be a much simpler shape.

Before it was revealed to be a Fairy type, what type of Pokemon did you think Sylveon was?
Not sure. I guess Psychic could be implied, but it was always clear that it was different some how.

It's not my favorite, but it's not my least favorite. I like the way it evolves though!

What did you think of Sylveon's evolutionary requirements? If given the choice, would you change them?
As long as they don't get rid of Pokemon Amie, then I think it's great! I wouldn't change a thing.

pkmin3033

OK, so it was actually TODAY'S episode that had Serena's Eevee evolving into Sylveon, haha. Random Pokemon Generator is clearly trying to tell me something...

Aaaaaanyways. Sylveon. I actually used one for my X game, at least until I got Xerneas and then it was boxed, because Xerneas is substantially cooler. But I found Sylveon to be fairly useful, and it was an interesting experiment of sorts in using a Fairy-type and, since my other choices were limited to Pokemon from past generations and others that didn't look particularly appealing, it was my only real choice. Getting one was a pain in the arse, though; I had to catch two Eevee in the end because I missed my earliest chance with the first one. I was not amused, because I really do not like Pokemon Amie and I pray to Arceus future titles won't incorporate it and will find a better way to evolve Eevee into Sylveon.

Design-wise, it's my fourth favourite Eeveelution, after Glaceon, Leafeon and Jolteon, in that order. I've never been hugely keen on the Eeveelutions, but it is rather cute.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
Years
Before it was revealed to be a Fairy type, what type of Pokemon did you think Sylveon was?
My money had been on either Normal or Flying; plenty of Normal-type Pokemon are pink and fluffy, and while it wouldn't be the most exciting thing in the world, I wouldn't put it past the developers to give Eevee a Normal evolution. Whereas the ribbons on its body are graceful enough to resemble something that'd be on a Flying-type Pokemon's body, and I had thought that it might be able to fly without wings similarly to Shaymin's Sky Forme if it turned out to be true. Plus, others had also been comparing minor parts of its appearance to Skyla's.

It came off as a bit of an oddball at first, then blended right in once enough time passed; it's easily one of my favorite Eeveelutions for being so very cute.

What did you think of Sylveon's evolutionary requirements? If given the choice, would you change them?
Personally, I like the idea of a Pokemon that evolves through affection. Whereas Umbreon and Espeon evolve through friendship, Sylveon evolves because it loves its trainer. D'awww...

Raising its affection stat enough to make it evolve is tedious if it's all done in one sitting, but it's a creative way to use Pokemon Amie. I wouldn't change its method of evolution if I could.

pkmin3033

421 - CHERRIM

ILmBydp.png

"During times of strong sunlight, its bud blooms, its petals open fully, and it becomes very active."

The evolved form of Cherubi, Cherrim is one of only two Pokemon to change form depending upon the weather – the other being Castform, introduced a generation prior – and becomes noticeably more bright and cheerful when exposed to strong sunlight in the games. In the anime, any sunlight will do to change Cherrim into Sunshine form. Cherrim appeared as one of Pokemon Stylist Lila's Pokemon in the Sinnoh series, being entered in the Appeals Round of a Pokemon Contest. Otherwise, it has only had minor appearances.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Cherrim! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which of Cherrim's two forms is your favourite and why?
  • Unlike Castform, Cherrim only changes form in strong sunlight. If you were tasked with designing other forms for different weather, what would they look like?

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
Which of Cherrim's two forms is your favourite and why?

Obviously the Sunny Form. It's really cute, and is very usable in Double and Triple Battles.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Well...

@ Porygon I used it in my first Plat run. I haven't seen episode 38 before, maybe a glimpse but I don't think fully, tho not really interested in checking it out. If Porygon had a baby form, I think it would be 2D :D.

@ Sylveon This may sound wierd but when it was revealed I thought it would be a normal mon for some reason. Maybe I thought it would like be the strongest of all the Eeveelutions or something. Sylveon is one of my less liked Eeveelutions, but it isn't my least favourite. I just prefer the original 5 over the 3 new ones for some reason :/.

@ Cherrim I definitely prefer the sunny form. Looks cooler and the other form looks kinda wierd.

pkmin3033

No love for Cherrim? I think it's one of the cuter Pokemon of the fourth gen! I've never used it myself - not yet, at least - but I think it's Sunshine form is adorable, and even its overcast form has its own dingy little charm...it's like the miserable cute thing you just want to pick up and hug to spite it. All it needs is a pouty expression, haha.

I'd like to see an angry, supercharged form for rain, and a miserable-looking form for hail...and maybe a form with glasses or goggles for fog and/or sandstorm, though. Hehehe.

blue

gucci
Years
Cherrim is a brilliant Pokemon, I remember using one in Platinum one time and finding it very resourceful. 8)

• Which of Cherrim's two forms is your favourite and why?
Sunshine Forme Cherrim. Obviously this is when we get to see Cherrim fully as it is intended, and it becomes much more powerful when in sunlight.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Which of Cherrim's two forms is your favorite and why?
I like the sunshine form because it's bright and cherry!

Unlike Castform, Cherrim only changes form in strong sunlight. If you were tasked with designing other forms for different weather, what would they look like?
I don't know. I think I'd want some sort of wet look for it for rain, a frozen/ice look for blizzard, and a pile of sand for sandstorm? I think it should change types too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back