• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Daily Exposé: Interviews for Daily

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Hey guys! So after some chit chat with bobandbill, I am going to be conducting interviews with artists and writers alike on PokeCommunity. Awhile back a member by the name of Dave dubbed this kind of series to be called "Daily Expose", and thus I'm picking up the mantle on executing it. There are a couple of questions I have for y'all that I would love feedback on:
    • What do you think of the name Daily Expose? Should we use it/do we want another name?
    • Should interviews be limited to only artists and fan fiction writers? Or should it be expanded to content creators (which what would this label include?)
    • What kind of questions would you like to be asked? Should they be restricted to just their field of content creation or should it be personable as well?
    • Who would you like to see interviewed for the paper? Give me a reason also so I can get a better understanding as to who they are!
    I want to make this as community driven as possible so I want you to be the ones to choose who we want to learn more about. I look forward to any and all feedback as it is always greatly appreciated <3

xoxo
    Matt

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Giving my thoughts:
    What do you think of the name Daily Expose? Should we use it/do we want another name?
    I like it for the article series name.
    Should interviews be limited to only artists and fan fiction writers? Or should it be expanded to content creators (which what would this label include?)
    I feel it could be for any content creator (rom hacker, original game dev creator, etc). This can also be extended to e.g. competition winners (think Get Together winners, or other events on the forums/other PC platforms), and battlers. Also, I feel we should focus on PC people, but having said that interviewing say musicians on youtube would be a good idea as well - not everyone needs to be on PC, and it would also help give Daily exposure.
    What kind of questions would you like to be asked? Should they be restricted to just their field of content creation or should it be personable as well?
    I think a mixture, but again a focus on the former. That can be mixed as well (e.g. 'How did you get into [field of content creation]?').
    Who would you like to see interviewed for the paper? Give me a reason also so I can get a better understanding as to who they are!
    To add to this, how do we organise who gets interviewed? Take suggestions and we pick from there? Do we also want to try and rotate so we don't always get interviews with a certain kind of content creator?

Another couple of things:
    - Format! Just text, or do we want to sometimes do a spoken interview as well? In the latter we could combine with the likes of PC's Youtube channel as well.
    - How will it be written? I recall on skype some loose ideas of say taking a character persona for the interviewer, e.g. Gabby and Ty from RSE/ORAS.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • I feel it could be for any content creator (rom hacker, original game dev creator, etc). This can also be extended to e.g. competition winners (think Get Together winners, or other events on the forums/other PC platforms), and battlers. Also, I feel we should focus on PC people, but having said that interviewing say musicians on youtube would be a good idea as well - not everyone needs to be on PC, and it would also help give Daily exposure.

I think a mixture, but again a focus on the former. That can be mixed as well (e.g. 'How did you get into [field of content creation]?').

Definitely agree with these. I think interviewing external people would be great because it would give Daily exposure and external relevance as well within the wider Pokemon Community. And I do think the interviews should be more skewed towards their field of content creation though I guess it depends if the individual interviewees have some astounding personal qualities/aspects that are super different to warrant a lot of more personal questions.

To add to this, how do we organise who gets interviewed? Take suggestions and we pick from there? Do we also want to try and rotate so we don't always get interviews with a certain kind of content creator?

I think there should be a rotation so it doesn't get repetitive, not just in terms of their field but also whether they're on PC or not.

In terms of who gets interviewed, it would be good to make a hitlist of amazing externals to interview that we could reach out to, as well as look through PC itself and choose specific people. I think that should be decided privately by El Héroe Oscuro/whoever else works on this project.

- Format! Just text, or do we want to sometimes do a spoken interview as well? In the latter we could combine with the likes of PC's Youtube channel as well.

Spoken interviews in the form of say a radio interview or podcast? That could be interesting, though I don't know if YouTube is the best medium to host that, or how engaging the voice interview would be (definitely depends on how charismatic and energetic the interviewers/ees are).

- How will it be written? I recall on skype some loose ideas of say taking a character persona for the interviewer, e.g. Gabby and Ty from RSE/ORAS.

I'm a bit torn on this one. I do feel like if we're interviewing external content creators it would be more professional to not take on a character persona - I feel like taking on a persona might undermine the legitimacy of the interview. Though I guess that's just my take on it.

Years
  • Hi. I don't have anything particular to say to the discussion, but I just wanted to point you over here ☞ x in that we have had artist interviews before if you were not aware. Hope that gives you any inspiration or thoughts on how community run interviews have gone before, just for reference.

(speaking of which I should probably try and get those going forward/make a collection post...)

Years
  • For the video, we could maybe do a simple animation. Have sort of stick figure-esque characters do the speaking? There's a couple of animators around on PC we could ask for help there.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Videos that include interviews with artists could be accompanied with speed drawings whenever possible. Maybe facecam wth anyone who is comfortable? I would enjoy either way but I know a lot of people like those kind of visuals. Particularly any non-PC members that come across the videos.

What do you think of the name Daily Expose? Should we use it/do we want another name?
    I read this thread late last night, had a 'tard moment and thought you planned on interviewing someone once a day (on that note, how often are you thinking of doing these?). In my less sleep deprived state I like the name. It gives a good impression of the content.

Should interviews be limited to only artists and fan fiction writers? Or should it be expanded to content creators (which what would this label include?)
    The more people the better. I think it's great that different types of content creators would get a spotlight as the ROM and dev scene on PC is so saturated, but also because of that it would be silly not to include them, hackers and devs bring traffic.

What kind of questions would you like to be asked? Should they be restricted to just their field of content creation or should it be personable as well?
    Both but have the more personal stuff nearer the end (or when relevant) and conclude with something relating to what content we can expect from the creator in the future.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • In terms of who gets interviewed, it would be good to make a hitlist of amazing externals to interview that we could reach out to, as well as look through PC itself and choose specific people. I think that should be decided privately by El Héroe Oscuro/whoever else works on this project.
    Everyone working on 'From the Community' articles fits this, imo!
    I'm a bit torn on this one. I do feel like if we're interviewing external content creators it would be more professional to not take on a character persona - I feel like taking on a persona might undermine the legitimacy of the interview. Though I guess that's just my take on it.
    That's a fair enough point. If we take on 'mock interviews' (an idea I had a while ago with making 'interviews' with Pokemon characters) then Gabby and Ty may be a better fit for that.
    For the video, we could maybe do a simple animation. Have sort of stick figure-esque characters do the speaking? There's a couple of animators around on PC we could ask for help there.
    If we do video format for some interviews, I am not so sure on stick figure characters or whatnot - that seems a bit... idk, odd to me, especially if we don't go for the likes of Gabby and Ty.

I would have said go with just a placeholder image like Achromatic mentioned, buuuut:
    Videos that include interviews with artists could be accompanied with speed drawings whenever possible. Maybe facecam wth anyone who is comfortable? I would enjoy either way but I know a lot of people like those kind of visuals. Particularly any non-PC members that come across the videos.
    I think this touches on some good ideas. I think speed drawings, or if not available than a gallery of art by the person being interviewed is a good idea. Fics are trickier, but rom hackers can have screenshots or shot bits of gameplay shown, battlers can have some sample battles shown, etc.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Giving my two cents as I'm on my break at work right now; quick notes after reading these and then I'll give a formal, longer response:
    • External interviews are a good idea. I was planning on navigating Tumblr/Patreon/Instagram/etc. for some outside content creators, but if anyone finds an awesome candidate please PM me or post here about it!
    • I was first thinking about modeling interviews similar to my blog interviews - I'll check out Nina's art interviews when I get some free time later - but YouTube interviews aren't actually a bad idea. Gives promotion to two PC areas. Speed drawings in the background would be the way to go as it gives the viewer sormthingg to watch, but I would need help with the likes of Achromatoc for editing (as I'm not too familiar with the editing process.)
    I have to go back to work now, but I'll jot more of my ideas down and let y'all know later.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • What do you think of the name Daily Expose? Should we use it/do we want another name?
    Sounds good! ^-^

Definitely not, any type of content creator would be fine as long as it's (mostly) Pokémon related. Variation is the key here.

A bit of both. I suggest sticking close to their content and asking some related personal questions on the way.

Who would you like to see interviewed for the paper? Give me a reason also so I can get a better understanding as to who they are!
    I think we should find a balance between PC and non-PC. Daily is close to PC, it's PC Daily after all, but if we only stick to our forums we're limiting ourselves to only a small field of things. 50/50 might be good.
    I tried to contact Marriland earlier, but I haven't received a reply yet. I'm afraid we can scratch him. I'm planning to do an interview with a YouTuber though anyway, but I still need to pick one (there are so many).

I don't feel like Gabby (she's the one talking, right?) has a super strong personality, but it's possible to work with it. It's definitely something to consider.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I was first thinking about modeling interviews similar to my blog interviews - I'll check out Nina's art interviews when I get some free time later - but YouTube interviews aren't actually a bad idea. Gives promotion to two PC areas. Speed drawings in the background would be the way to go as it gives the viewer sormthingg to watch, but I would need help with the likes of Achromatoc for editing (as I'm not too familiar with the editing process.)
    Certainly those are an option too - not all interviews ought to be youtube format as well.
    I don't feel like Gabby (she's the one talking, right?) has a super strong personality, but it's possible to work with it. It's definitely something to consider.
    As said earlier, maybe it's best to reserve fictional characters for 'fictional interviews' rather than with real people, as raised earlier.
    Have you considered reaching out to HeroVoltsy for an interview? :)

He's a member of our community and has promoted many of our hacks with his popular YouTube channel, currently standing at 67k subs. I'd love to see him interviewed if you're going to do a YouTuber.
    Does he create Pokemon stuff on his channel too or just promote stuff? (I don't know him, sincere question). If the latter, than even if he's helped promote PC hacks I'd rather give preference to someone showcasing stuff they made on youtube instead. That would also be more interesting for me to read/watch ('this guy makes ___, we talk to him', compared to 'this guy promoted our stuff, we talk to him').
    And yeah, video editing is easy peasy for me. I'm more than willing to assist! :)
    Good to hear! =)

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I'd rather not try to be something I'm not when it comes to interviewing. I'm not really one to put on personas, so I'd rather just be myself.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd rather we not do something weird with fictional personalities while we're trying to interview a wide variety of people. It'll be best to come up to these various content creators as "open" as we can be, without them being confused when we're suddenly interviewing them with a fictional personality. It can also be somewhat difficult to always remain "in character" when writing interviews, because you'd have to keep in mind how the character would react to answers, instead of reacting in your own way and writing that.

As for Youtube interviews, do keep in mind that quite a large amount of Youtuber's audience members watch videos as if they are podcasts, even it not labeled as such. They'll open the video in one tab and just have it on in the background as they do other things. So I don't think we need to stress out so much about what to have on the screen as the interview is running when we do video-format interviews. Examples of their art is good for those that do visual art, and for the writers we can just have some basic image or something. (Or keep the writers as written interviews, so it's easier to share an example of their work.)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Alright, so to get things moving more, taking all the posts here to summarise the plan:

- "Daily Expose"
    - Interview any content creators
    - Rotating between PC members/people who have posted their content on PC, and off-PC creators.
    - Also rotation between different kinds of people (so e.g. no interviewing three visual artists or musicians in a row - mix it up).
    - Interviews done without any fictional character persona/s
    - Mixture of questions - focus on questions relevant to what they do/make, but a few personal questions as well
    - Written format at least some of the time.
    - Youtube format done when interviews are spoken. [Depends on interviewee's preference?] In such cases, visuals are either a gallery of still images or a recorded video ideally of something relevant (standard images when not). E.g. Artist: images of their work, speed paint. Battler: recording of a battle. Etc.
    - Majority of cases, people we interview make/do something involving Pokemon (not all their work has to do with it, but at least some significant part should; e.g. musician who covers game music including a few Pokemon tracks counts). The exception would be for PC members only, and not frequently.

Any objections, shout them. Otherwise forever hold your peace as we'll go with that.

Meanwhile - who shall we interview first/who is willing to conduct said interviews?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years

Why not? Book it Vince! ^^

Why not everybody? Even PokeTubers can be interviewed.

TBH, why the hell not?

Only one:

- Subscribers on the PC Channel - supporters are I think better. ;)

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I don't mind conducting the interview. I think in terms of who we should interview first, I think it should be a heavy hitter person from the site; someone who already has a solid reputation of their work to hit the ground running with this kind of series. Than, once we are comfortable with the formatting, we can stretch our reaches to users outside of the site for less risk of making unprofessional mistakes.

That being said, would anyone be opposed with the notion to start with Kirby? She not only has been a Moderator of our art section for awhile which will garner the attention of numerous users, but has also proven time and time again to create Pokemon-related art whether in the form of pixelations or drawings. Thoughts?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I think Kirby would be a great one to start with! She's definitely known in the community, and her art can catch the attention of a lot of people. Plus, there's such a variety to her work that she can talk about either her pixel art or drawings.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • To me it made more sense to actually ask PC-people whether they're interested before throwing their names in here, so I may have already asked VisualJae, the lead developer of Pokémon Academy Life, earlier for an interview, which he has accepted.

+1 to interview Kirby as well. :)

Years
  • I'm definitely not opposed to getting Kirby interviewed first as well, especially with her contribution in regards to art, and being A&D mod for over three years now means she's got loads of experience to share.

Back