• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Same Game, Different Player

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
We're always on the same journey... just sometimes it changes in unexpected and exciting ways.

How many times have you restarted your games? Was it better or worse the second, third, or fourth time around? Do the games still have the same appeal as your original playthrough? If you haven't restarted, why not? Do you feel like you're missing out by not trying it again?

...for those that haven't finished do you think you'll ever get around to finishing & playing with a fresh perspective?

Years
I've probably replayed White about 4/5 times, with each playthrough being better than the last. I didn't enjoy the games thattt much the first time around, but since replaying the games, I've grown to appreciate them more and more :)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I've played through both White and Black 2 twice.

White was, while still good, not as good the second time as it was the first (think I wrote a big long post about it somewhere). Black 2 was still great though. Would like to sometime do another playthrough of that one, but I don't wanna lose all that stuff I did in PokeStar Studios D=

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Played through Black twice (Japanese and English) and once through White and Black 2. I think these games will always have a high replay value for me because of the very memorable journey.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 10, 2020
I've restarted black probably 18+ times. I went through the game with every Pokemon on my team once, then tried to figure out how black city worked, and what I could do to make more buildings appear. In 2 more playthrough's I figured out that the sooner you beat the game the buildings appear.
Then, for black 2, although it is a fantastic game, I've probably only played through it 3 times. I don't have my physical copy anymore.
As a plug, not sure if this is allowed, but Drayano's Blaze Black and Volt White 2 are masterful. Exactly what the 5th gen is all about.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Black and white (the first ones and the second ones) are the main Pokemon games I played the most (after gen 1 and 2). I played two hacks too, very good they changed he difficulty and it was too hard for me.
I know there's a lot of hate for this generation but Imo it's a great one <3

Years
I never resetted a 5th Gen game. Black has a huge collection of Pokemon I transferred from my 3rd and 4th Gen games and as you know, I love to hang onto my collections.

I do have an unfinished file on White which was intended for my brother, so who knows?

Years
For the runs I do after the first, I notice a lot of details I didn't notice through the first run. I may even appreciate the game even more if it's one of my favorites.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I had to reset White and Black 2 a few times, because my brother got his hands on them, but I am not planning on resetting white 2. Even though I transferred all my pokemon xD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Never completed Black 2 (Well I defeated the Pok?mon League I believe, but I don't count it as completed until I've seen all areas) so that means I'm quite curious about going back to it at some point. Buying Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag at the same time as Black 2 didn't help - buggy pre-owned pok?mon game <<<< what is essentially a good Pirates of the Caribbean game rather than an AC game.

As for Black - I think the first time was absolutely the best. I picked Oshawott, who is still my favourite starter (I like all 3 base forms, then only Snivy and Oshawott's evolutions, then Samurott is the only one I like of the fully-evolved ones), got to do the Victini event - a rare occasion of being able to use one of those 600 BST legendaries during the main story of a game, and traded one of the movie beasts to get Zoroark as well. Black is one of the few games I have played multiple times where I don't feel overly familiar with every aspect of it.

God knows when I'll get to play these two again though - I'm trying to play through my games in generation order, culminating in all my non-event pok?mon from 2011's Platinum save onwards getting to destroy the big tournament in Black 2. Currently paused my Battle Frontier challenge on Emerald to do work meaning I've completed 1 game and have 4 to go (5 if I decide to play Diamond again).

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I could personally never reset Black and White :( Actually I couldn't reset EITHER so instead I reset my bf's game lmao He never played it and it was his spare one tbh. B2W2... never reset B2 and I don't think I could replay W2... actually not sure if I completed it. Alas. First playthrough is best ofc although my second playthrough was particularly memorable due to stuff that happened then.

Shanedmuir

Shane D.M.
Years
As it pertains to game cartridges, I am not really a fan of resetting the game. I like to keep that save file as like physical memorabilia that I can look back on. Unfortunately, I lost my Pokemon White cartridge at a friends house and then he moved ... and I never got around to buying the Black / White 2 cartridge.

However, this is why I am a fan of ROMs. If I finish the game and feel like starting a new one, I can start a completely new save through a different file, while still being able to go back to any older files.

Back