• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which gen has the worst new pokemon?

Years
  • We are up to 9 gens and 1004 pokemon, but if you had to choose one generation for worst set of pokemon which would you pick. Probably get alot of flack for this but i think the original 151 of gen 1 are pretty bad. They either are very bland in design and use, or have been completely outclassed by later pokemon. Only a few of the original 151 have aged welll id say

SquirmyWorm064

I’m weird :>
    Years
  • We are up to 9 gens and 1004 pokemon, but if you had to choose one generation for worst set of pokemon which would you pick. Probably get alot of flack for this but i think the original 151 of gen 1 are pretty bad. They either are very bland in design and use, or have been completely outclassed by later pokemon. Only a few of the original 151 have aged welll id say

The gen 1 Pokemon were mostly bland (in your words) because it was the first generation. There was no other Pokemon to base them off of. I really think the gen 1 Pokemon were cool just because it's the original. They are pretty boring if you think of it (Like seel being a literal seal) but now Pokemon is taking a more childlike approach and all of the new Pokemon don't really have that "monster" aspect to them anymore. If you just even look past gen 6 the anime style has changed so much just to fit the childlike aspect. That's why I don't really like the newer generations like Alola, Galar, and even a bit of Paldea. Most of the Pokemon have become more round and cute in art style, and I sorta want more Monsters back.

Years
  • The gen 1 Pokemon were mostly bland (in your words) because it was the first generation. There was no other Pokemon to base them off of. I really think the gen 1 Pokemon were cool just because it's the original. They are pretty boring if you think of it (Like seel being a literal seal) but now Pokemon is taking a more childlike approach and all of the new Pokemon don't really have that "monster" aspect to them anymore. If you just even look past gen 6 the anime style has changed so much just to fit the childlike aspect. That's why I don't really like the newer generations like Alola, Galar, and even a bit of Paldea. Most of the Pokemon have become more round and cute in art style, and I sorta want more Monsters back.
    Well aware its the first attempt, i can still say its bland. The whole monster v cute aesthetic is suggestive, im fine with both. I will say that gen 6 onward have more pokemon i often forget about compared to gen 5 and below which I remember quite well

Years
  • I remember many of my peers saying Gen 5's designs were terrible, yet it didn't phase me that much. Personally I found gens 6 and 7 having more bland designs for pokemon, like a pokemon based off keys and another based off a lei (Hawaiian flower necklace). Not only that but the later gens tend to have simpler shapes for designs, making a lot of the pokemon look too similar when viewing silhouettes. In my opinion the shapes of pokemon do not stand out as much anymore.

Years
    • Seen today
    Based on different arguments and criteria (designs, gameplay, balance, etc.), I'd say the worst batches of new Pokémon were those from Gen 1, Gen 3, and Gen 5.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • As much as I love Kanto, I agree that most of Gen I's designs just didn't stand the test of time compared to those of following generations. They're not bad, but they are really outdated - which is why I'm all for making regional variants in order to shake them up a bit and bring them in line with the designs of newer generations. This is also why Gen V's roster isn't that bad to me, because in a way, the so-called rehashes of Gen I lines (e.g. the Timburr line to the Machop line, the Roggenrola line to the Geodude line) could be considered regional clones to said lines.

As for additions to this initial roster, the contenders are:
    -Gen III, for introducing a lot of Pokémon that are not very useful compared to the old classics (and in Gen VI, compared to newer Mons as well),
    -Gen IV, for having unmemorable new Pokémon and a lot of horribly-designed evolutions to old ones,
    -Gen IX, for not being consistent with the design philosophy of previous generations and most of the Mons just being plain ugly.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Gen IV stands out to me. Lots of forgettable designs, and then there's the evolutions for Rhydon, Magmar, and Electabuzz. They were horrible, absolutely horrible. And there are plenty of other bad designs in that generation. Very few favorites. I think the only GOOD ones that stick out to me are Piplup, Glaceon and Leafeon. Was Shaymin from that gen, too? The hedgehog form is cute. But overall, that generation is meh to ugly.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Generation 3. Contains plenty of middling designs, but not many great ones.

As far as power? Probably Generation 2. Gave most of them evolutions in later generations for a reason: Aipom, Murkrow, Yanma, Girafarig, Gligar, Qwilfish, Corsola, Ursaring, Sneasel, Piloswine, Dunsparce, and Stantler. Sees plenty more still in need of help. Introduced baby Pokemon that generation too. Speaks in hindsight, however. Forgets how powerful they were at their debut.

Years
  • Gen IV stands out to me. Lots of forgettable designs, and then there's the evolutions for Rhydon, Magmar, and Electabuzz. They were horrible, absolutely horrible. And there are plenty of other bad designs in that generation. Very few favorites. I think the only GOOD ones that stick out to me are Piplup, Glaceon and Leafeon. Was Shaymin from that gen, too? The hedgehog form is cute. But overall, that generation is meh to ugly.
    forgetable? Same generation as lucario, garchomp, gallade, all the legendaries and mythicals and FORGETABLE?!? I just dont agree with that at all man. Also feel like im the only one that likes magmortar

Years
  • Unpopular opinion: I think Gen 5 has the weakest roster. Now don't get me wrong, Gen 5 has some GREAT Pokemon and some of my all-time favorites like Krookodile, Vanilluxe and Escavalier. However there are also a lot of blatant copies of Gen 1 Pokemon and a lot of the new designs just don't land with me.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • forgetable? Same generation as lucario, garchomp, gallade, all the legendaries and mythicals and FORGETABLE?!? I just dont agree with that at all man. Also feel like im the only one that likes magmortar

I forgot about Lucario (not in the "forgettable" sense I was speaking of here lol), and I do think it is a memorable design and one of the better in the series. But the rest of them aren't my thing.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I'm going to have to say none did. Yes, generation one had Pokemon like Seel, and Dewgong, and Krabby. Which were just a Seal, just a Dougong, and just a Crab, but simplicity was fine in these games because they were the first, and I can excuse that. Also, for as overloved, overdone, and overexposed the Kanto Pokemon are, they do still have their charms, in my opinion.

While Generation 2 was mostly a majority of new evolutions for old Pokemon, and some pretty good new Pokemon. With, I guess some outliers, I guess? I don't know, I liked the generation 2 roster, despite being so small.

And Generation 3 had some great Pokemon, mostly completely new ones and a lot of them, in my opinion, except for Volbeat and Illumise, were pretty distinct for me. Plus, Treecko is there, and I'm bias towards Hoenn, I guess.

Generation 4, though, I guess went... a little... overboard with "giving new evolutions to old Pokemon" as well as there being way too many legendary Pokemon. But, a lot of the new Pokemon in the Sinnoh games were just cool, in my opinion. Apart from Heatran, I don't think generation 4 had too many "bad Pokemon" in my opinion.

As much hate as Generation 5 gets, I'm one of the people who never understood the hate. Like, "oh mY GOD GAME fREak Is LAzy thERE'S a GARbaGE pokEMON and an ICe cREAM PokEMON. While I admit some Unova Pokemon were just it's animal...with powers (Lillipup and Pidove lines come to mind) I liked most of the gen 5 Pokedex, and never understood the hate.

Then, around generation 6, they started reducing the amount of new Pokemon we got. And while some Pokemon in Kalos were...weird (Binacle, Diggersby to name two) quality over quantity, to be honest. I also feel like Gens 7 & 8 were peak of Game Freak having Pokemon fit with the region they're in. Gen 9 is growing on me, but at first I thought, "these are the worst" now, I don't think so anymore, tbh.

tl;dr: none. All generations have their share of good and bad Pokemon and I appreciate the design thought behind all 1,008 creatures.

Years
  • It was kinda crazy to me seeing mentioned gen 3 and gen 4 since they are the games that introduced 90% of my fav designs lol, but anyway I just have to go with gen 5, having like about 10 pokemon I actually like and many of the ones I really don't like.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Generation II, at least from a gameplay perspective, because something tells me Game Freak forgot how to do stat spreads when they were making Gold and Silver, and they unfortunately usually take a backseat to the original 151 in their own games. Generation II's batch was definitely handled the worst out of the bunch.

Purely off vibes alone though, I'd say Generation IV. I'm just not fond of them, I guess? I don't hate them aside from the fact that they decided to give us four awful early-game bugs (if you consider Mothim and Wormadam separately), but when I was making lists consisting of my favorite Pokémon, Generation IV's roster didn't show up once (although Roserade, Dusknoir, and Porygon-Z almost did). Sure, that'd mean Generation I should rank lower for me because I really don't care for them enough to rank them among my favorites, but they're sorta charming.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Generation 4 has a very few good looking Pokémon outside the starters and Vespiquen, and all of them are just evolutions of old Pokémon lmaoo, and even those have some ugly stuff like Magmortar and Ambipom. A lot of them are very forgettable as well, I can count on one hand the amount of people that remember Mothim, Lumineon or Carnivine exist

Years
  • Unpopular opinion: I think Gen 5 has the weakest roster. Now don't get me wrong, Gen 5 has some GREAT Pokemon and some of my all-time favorites like Krookodile, Vanilluxe and Escavalier. However there are also a lot of blatant copies of Gen 1 Pokemon and a lot of the new designs just don't land with me.

Alot of people think gen 5 is weak roster wise so pretty tame take

Years
  • As much hate as Generation 5 gets, I'm one of the people who never understood the hate. Like, "oh mY GOD GAME fREak Is LAzy thERE'S a GARbaGE pokEMON and an ICe cREAM PokEMON. While I admit some Unova Pokemon were just it's animal...with powers (Lillipup and Pidove lines come to mind) I liked most of the gen 5 Pokedex, and never understood the hate.

People will talk about ice cream and garbage when gen 1 had literal buff guy and rock, idk why people start having probs with that every generation had things best off existing things

Years
  • If I look at how many Pokemon I liked by the end of the first playthrough: Gen 5 had by far the worst roster of new mons for me.
    I could literally count the Pokemon I liked at the end of my first playthrough on both hands.

Lots of mons have grown on me over time though, including a sizeable chunk of gen 5 mons.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    It used to be Gen 1's roster for me. Many of them have better counterparts in later generations and I have no nostalgic connection to any of them outside of Pikachu, Raichu, and Snorlax. Then I played the original games and competitive RBY more and I can see the appeal now. There's something about them that works with the many limitations the Gameboy had. They're only rougher now because of better graphics and improvements in how Pokémon are usually designed. On their own I think Gen 1's roster is decent, albeit lacking in variety.

Gen 9's roster is one I'll have to grow on though. There are quite a few designs I loved. Every dog Pokémon, the new evolutions (including Clodsire), Dondozo, Maushold, and the Fuecoco line are among my all time favorites now. I adore every new legendary too. Even unpopular picks like Orthworm, Dondozo, and Flamigo do a lot for me. The problem is there are just several Pokémon I dislike so much that they ruin the roster as a whole. We have a funko pop drenched in hot pink paint (the entire tinkaton line), bootleg Politoed (bellibolt), three rejected Mega Man bosses (the Charcadet line), bootleg Chatot (Squakabilly), and Dolan Dark (Quaquavel). Sprigatito's line, Baxcalibur's preevolutions, and Veluza are also just eh to me. Compared to other generations there's a lot I dislike. My favorite roster, Gen 6, for example only has two I thoroughly dislike (Aromatisse and Diggersby). Over time I think some of the new ones will grow on me, but it will take a while.

Years
    • Online now
    Previously had no answer. I thought every generation had it's 'highs and lows'.

Then the new games released, and I don't enjoy most of Gen 9's designs collectively.

Last edited:
    Back