• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon that are over exposed

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are Pokemon you think have received "over exposure" as in, Pokemon you think we've seen promoted too much?

Please be more creative than "Charizard" "Lucario" and "Kanto" thank you.

pkmin3033

Lucari--oh. Oh. Well, the point still stands. Lucario needs to just...not exist.

Asides from the obvious starters, eeveelutions, and pseudos, I feel like Gengar gets an awful lot of exposure, even for a Gen I Pokemon. When there are many other ghost types with far more interesting designs, it makes me a little sad that it always seems to come back to Gengar. I don't dislike it, but it's far from being a particularly creative design.

People really need to get over Mimikyu, too.

Years
  • Pikachu. Stop making Pikachu clones already. The original was not that great anyway imo
    Greninja. It's been in smash at least but idk how widespread it really is. Never liked the thing, it's design is unappealing to me.
    Meowth - Did we really need a 3rd form for this? I'd rather have had them give some other mon a new regional form. Like Dunsparce.
    (and then there's Charizard ofc... 😉)

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Charizard is a given but you're right d: Let's just leave it at that.

I don't think Pikachu is a problem; it's the mascot! It's fine to have it appear everywhere because for many, Pikachu = pokémon. It's iconic. And as far as mascots go, it's a pretty cute one too.

I don't even think we're overexposed to Eevee. Unlike Pika and Chari, Eevee is an actual interesting pokémon with plenty of fun evos, haha. It's been used in several games as the starter pokémon now but even so, we haven't seen too much of it imo. It's cute, but it's not THE mascot, and it probably looks a little bit too bland and has too few colors to stand out well in advertising materials anyways.

I can't think of many good suggestions beyond the ones in the first post tbh haha.

Years
    • Seen today
    Besides fanservizard and Pikachu, I got pretty sick of Gengar, Gyarados, Snorlax, Greninja, Mewtwo, Eevee, and Meowth at some point, for somewhat different reasons.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Meowth is definitely overexposed, I agree. It really doesn't need two regional formes, and I hope Legend Arceus doesn't gives us more.

Years
    • Online now
    Tentacool.

It's gotten better in recent gens but in 1-4 this thing single handedly makes me want repels.

So many water types and this thing appears all the time instead of any sort of variety.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Greninja is just the zoomers' Charizard I don't make the rules :femme:

I think Eevee and some of the eevelutions (Vaporeon, Umbreon and Sylveon) are in way more things that they deserve. Eevee is pretty much a second mascot right now.

Also Machamp, Meowth and Gengar, which is crazy for the first one because I haven't met anyone that genuinely likes Machamp. It's just there so people remember it exists, I guess.

Mimikyu is kinda everywhere as well. It wouldn't be that bad if it had different costumes, but it seems like the concept is indirect Pikachu exposure more than anything.

If we talk abt legends, Mewtwo can go.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Greninja is the most BAMF of a Pokemon ever. He can't be overexposed

That doesn't make Greninja immune to people thinking it's an overexposed Pokemon, though. Even if they're a "badass mfer"... Honestly, I have absolutely nothing to say about Greninja. In a few years, it probably won't be the most popular Pokemon anymore.

I definitely can agree with Gardevoir. Gardevoir is pretty much...everywhere, to the point where it's like Gallade never even existed. Now, with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl right around the corner, I'd imagine Gardevoir will be in the spotlight even more.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    That doesn't make Greninja immune to people thinking it's an overexposed Pokemon, though. Even if they're a "badass mfer"... Honestly, I have absolutely nothing to say about Greninja. In a few years, it probably won't be the most popular Pokemon anymore.

I definitely can agree with Gardevoir. Gardevoir is pretty much...everywhere, to the point where it's like Gallade never even existed. Now, with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl right around the corner, I'd imagine Gardevoir will be in the spotlight even more.

Yes it does.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    I'm pretty sure MiamiHeat305 is just being playful.

I genuinely like Machamp, Palamon, so now you've officially met someone. :)

In my opinion, you can add Lapras to the list.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    It's tragic that Gardevoir overshadows Gallade so much. I swear I used to think the former was the only evolution for Kirlia before I went deeper into Pokemon. I'm also sick of Mewtwo among the legendaries, and to a lesser extent Mew too. Like, why of all legendaries are those two the most used? Their designs are kinda meh compared to say, the Johto legends.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Rotom. Like, what is going on with them thinking they need to cram him into as many things as they can in the most recent games? He's barely a Pokemon anymore because he's more of a power source or operating system for something.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Rotom. Like, what is going on with them thinking they need to cram him into as many things as they can in the most recent games? He's barely a Pokemon anymore because he's more of a power source or operating system for something.

"Technology is incredible" or something.

I can agree we've been getting far too much Rotom in the past two generations. Hoping in generation nine they don't give us another Rotom Pokedex, but from a game stand point I understand why Rotom is the way it is now.

Since Rotom is a ghost that can possess electronically powered objects, they can basically do... anything with it. Maybe that's why it's pushed in the games so much these days.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    "Technology is incredible" or something.

I can agree we've been getting far too much Rotom in the past two generations. Hoping in generation nine they don't give us another Rotom Pokedex, but from a game stand point I understand why Rotom is the way it is now.

Since Rotom is a ghost that can possess electronically powered objects, they can basically do... anything with it. Maybe that's why it's pushed in the games so much these days.
    It was nice in the Alola anime and games with Rotom being a core character with its own personality. In the recent anime saga their rotom-phones have just kinda... been there though? And the professor just so happened to have two rare Rotom pokemon to populate their phones with. Isn't that lucky. yeH.

Back