• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Do You Define an RPG

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
  • Believe it or not, there's been a debate on what's considered an RPG for video games. Some say it's the turn-based gameplay, others say it's the character-driven stories, and the rest say it's based on character/weapon stats. One of my friends, Mr. Red Fox, posted his video on his definition of an RPG just to give you an example. To summarize, it's when your choices affect the current story.

As for you guys, how would you define a video game as an RPG based on your own descriptions?

Last edited:
    Years
  • ...the point of an RPG really is to take your characters through a story in which you generally choose how they develop, hence a lot of the time involving stat growth, builds, equipment etc. That's why so many games are then described to have "RPG elements", because understandably that can be quote a broad umbrella for a genre.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'm struggling to articulate it a bit since I've never really had to haha, but I guess very broadly, to me it is a game where there is trackable character progression? I admit I did not watch the video, but based on your summary I don't fully agree with your friend's definition, mainly because there are now so many different kinds of RPGs that do not fit into that definition. JRPGs like Final Fantasy games, for example, often have only one set outcome or story and are very linear, but I still consider them RPGs.

So to me, loosely it would be character growth in a setting with expansive lore, generally. Staple elements of what I consider RPGs would be a leveling system where I can see my character progress, maybe a party system, and the world is usually quite immersive with a compelling story. I know it's very vague and this might even extend to games that aren't RPGs based on how loose I'm defining it, but that's what I can come up with that would be inclusive of all games I've played that I consider RPGs, if that makes sense. Interesting question.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Player actions determine certain outcomes and a player can trigger multiple outcomes based upon their choices. I would also consider a game that has characters with "stats", including Life, Damage, etc that are built around a central story(that could be altered based on player choices or simply have a particular outcome but how a player achieves it is up to them). RPG is a rather broad spectrum but games such as Diablo or Runescape come to mind but also Fire Emblem as well.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • My idea of an RPG is usually:

- Basic Turn Based Combat
    - 4, or more heroes.
    - Stats, and Equipment.
    -Rich Story which drags on a smidge.

Back