• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves that Pokemon learn/don’t learn that don't make sense

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Basically what it says. Now...

- Pupitar can learn Brick break. Makes sense for the evo and prevo because they have limbs, but how does this one throw out a chop with no hands?

- Zekroam can't learn Thunderbolt. Why... just why...

- Growlithe can't learn Growl. I know growl is only in it's english name but it's a dog, so why can't it do something most of them do?

- Rhyhorn can't learn Tackle. Ahahaha what, although I heard it now can in gen8. Did gen8 have Growlithe know Growl now?

- A user on another site I follow mentioned Charmander can now learn Wing attack by breeding. I wonder if that really is true.

- Dugtrio can learn High horsepower in gen8. It is clearly shown in the animation that it is a kick, so that means... what is it kicking the opponent with exactly?

- Snorlax can't learn Slack off, even though that is something it always does.

- Tons and tons of mons being capable of changing the weather. And more specifically, Aloland Sandshrew with Sunny day, guess it just wants to kill itself by making it's quad weakness worse.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    -Dragapult cannot learn Shadow Claw, despite being capable of learning Dragon Claw. It also has significantly less physical coverage than most Pseudo-Legendaries have nowadays.

-Duraludon cannot learn Aura Sphere, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, or even Focus Blast, despite being a walking launcher advertised as a foil to Tyranitar.

-Drifblim still can't learn any good special Flying-type attacks, despite Air Slash and Hurricane being teachable moves in the game.

-Chewtle and Drednaw would have benefitted significantly from Fishious Rend, since Jaw Lock is a Dark-type attack, while neither snapping turtle Pokémon are part Dark-type.

-Salazzle cannot learn Giga Drain and Dark Pulse, which would really help it's special sweeping prowess, as Hidden Power got culled.

-On an unrelated note, Vespiquen has been stripped off not only Heal Order, which isn't even usable in SwSh, but Roost as well, giving it absolutely no means of healing.

pkmin3033

Gastly can learn Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch. Let that sink in for a minute. Now ask yourself...what does it punch with?!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Gastly can learn Fire Punch, Ice Punch, and Thunder Punch. Let that sink in for a minute. Now ask yourself...what does it punch with?!

I think it makes a fist out of it's gas and then punches.

I mean yeah it probably won't be considered a punch then but I'm just taking a wild guess

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Hmm i think i have seen a thread like this before, anyway

- Growlithe can't learn Growl. I know growl is only in it's english name but it's a dog, so why can't it do something most of them do?

Which reminds me, why none of the Eeveelutions could learn dig in generations 1-2? I was bad at biology but i could sworn all canids (which the eevee line is based on, along with being cats of course) dig holes

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Vullaby can learn Fly despite the Pokedex saying it CAN'T fly.

Doduo and Dodrio being able to learn Fly also. They have literally no wings.

Yanmega not being able to Learn Fly, despite many of its Pokedex entries mentioning it can.

Likitung not being able to Learn Lick in generation I also made no sense considering it's, you know... the tongue Pokemon.

Any small Pokemon that can learn Surf that aren't water types such as Sentret, Sneasel, Zigzagoon (Linoone makes perfect sense, though), Azurill, Bunnelby, Pancham, Swirlix, Helioptile... some of these just make no sense to me. Surf is a move meant to carry a human on your back. Why can a little baby Azurill learn that when it's 8 inches tall?

Shroomish being able to learn drain punch through a move tutor when it doesn't even have any visible hands. Yes, I know Breloom does, but Shroomish doesn't.

Machamp can't learn Mach Punch. That one is really weird. Considering that apparently it can punch extremely quickly.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • These are Flapple's Pokedex entries:

It ate a sour apple, and that induced its evolution. In its cheeks, it stores an acid capable of causing chemical burns.
    It flies on wings of apple skin and spits a powerful acid. It can also change its shape into that of an apple.

...But Appletun is the one that learns Apple Acid.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Doduo and Dodrio being able to learn Fly also. They have literally no wings.
    This has to be canon:
    Spoiler:

Now ask yourself...what does it punch with?!
    Its face?

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • someone please explain how close combat arcanine works cause i thought you had to have fists to use it

Staraptor uses its talons, so I'm assuming Arcanine uses its paws for doing damage. I know it'll look like a dancing doggy, but that's what it has to be.

Years
  • Staraptor uses its talons, so I'm assuming Arcanine uses its paws for doing damage. I know it'll look like a dancing doggy, but that's what it has to be.

apparently i forgot a lot of pokemon that don't have fists learn close combat. i guess it has to be the paws otherwise idk how terrakion and the swords of justice do it.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Yeah. Also I guess some pokemon use wings, like staraptor again?
    But Mew? I can't imagine it punching with those teeny-tiny arms (and Meloetta too).

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Love how Nidoking can learn surf and thunderbolt. Where is the electricity coming from? Also, I get that it's big, but why is the water not "super effective" while surfing?

Also, Golurk can learn fly. Seriously, I taught fly to a Golurk, which is awesome, but strange. I read someone say it's a robot and can pull in its arms. Ok, maybe, but it's still pretty crazy.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    this is your periodic reminder that no arms Wooper can learn Ice Punch, but Black Kyurem, with its big burly arms, cannot

- Zekroam can't learn Thunderbolt. Why... just why...
    Zekrom can learn Thunderbolt. Always has been able to.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Never understood why most Pokémon can learn Toxic. Seems pretty out of place for the likes of Piplup and Skitty.

Shroomish being able to use Wake-Up Slap makes no sense whatsoever. Where are its hands?

Teddiursa and Yungoos can learn Earthquake. How do you suppose they can pull it off?

Wailord can learn Tickle. Sure thing. Totally makes sense.

And not be salty about this taking me by surprise in a battle one time, but why can RATICATE learn BLIZZARD!?!?!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Skunktank cannot learn gunk shot despite being based on a skunk.

Elgyem and Beheeyem can learn steel wing but they don't have wings or any wing like appendages. Quite baffling if I do say so myself.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2021
    Guess I need to read the Pokédex entries a little more closely, lol. I think the coolest part about it is Golurk is a non-flying type who can learn fly. I can't think of any other Pokémon like that, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there is another one(in this thread even).

Back