• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which main series game did you find to be the hardest?

Years
  • it's interesting because i don't think i've found any of them particularly difficult aside from SM because Totem Pokemon sure as heck were kind of annoying to fight the first time around, alongside some other tough challenges i've faced like Nanu (somewhat) and Hala (when he was part of the E4).

i guess if you count battle frontier, then technically Emerald was my hardest game because of the different Battle Frontier limitations and how frustrating it was for me at the time, but that aside, ehhhhh.

Years
  • I don't think any of the Pokemon games are actually hard but if I had to pick one then I'll go with Sapphire.

My first time playing Sapphire was about 6 months ago and going back to Gen 3 after being spoiled with Audino in Gen 5 as well as Exp. Share in Gens 6/7 meant that I was very under-leveled for most of the important battles in Sapphire. That was basically the only reason I struggled with Winona (that Altaria tho) and Elite 4 in this game, still I wouldn't call Sapphire a hard game. I don't think I would have struggled at all in Sapphire if I had the patience to get my team at least close in levels to the teams of the trainers I was facing.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Really, if I'm being honest, no main series game, aside from some specific battles, made a pokemon game hard for me. Pokémon games are very easy, and are only beginning to be made easier.

Although, I guess this is situational? Sometimes I have a hard time in a Pokémon game because I do a lot of Egg raised Pokémon only runs. Those are difficult, especially if you aren't lucky and don't get egg moves.

Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    SoulSilver was mercilessly tough in my recent playthrough with only a team of Water-types.

The postgame was especially brutal, as some bosses have crazier coverage and Pokémon that just love to set up with Dragon Dance, while others crit haxed my Pokémon after lengthy setting up bulk, speed and offenses with X Items, as well as some being just impenetrable in general.

It was the most challenge I had in a Pokémon game, even if I do monotype runs in Gens VI or VII.

Illyasviel

video game hustler
    Years
  • I never whited out on my first playthrough of any main series game, but I will admit Cynthia posed a challenge.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • When I was young, trying to finish Platinum was a NIGHTMARE thanks to Cynthia. Even now it gets tricky sometimes. I also think HG/SS is a little difficult, but my main reason is because of the poor choices I make every single time I want to build a team in those games xD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i mean as a kid i thought everything was hard lol but like as an adult replaying the games, the only ones that still give me struggles even though i know what i'm doing are platinum and BW2. yellow CAN be a little difficult at times bc the gym leaders have such wild level spikes. but yeah, those are my picks.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Pokemon is an easy game let's be real. The only real difficulty I noticed was HGSS because of the fucked up level curve and the trial battles in USUM.

Saint Suplex

And the LORD said: "slam thy enemy to the ground."
    Years
  • I think S/M was the only one I've played that was consistently challenging. It wasn't especially hard, but there was some difficulty throughout rather than just being right at the end.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2019
    Definitely White 2 on challenge mode. The only Pokémon game I've played that was consistently difficult the entire way through. I had an absolute blast playing through, and finally defeating Iris at the end of it all was such a great feeling. In most of the other games where you annihilate everyone it's just not that satisfying.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I only remember struggling with b/w after you defeat team plasma. Mainly because it opens up a section of the region where everyone was so much higher leveled than me.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I absolutely struggled with DPPt. But that was mainly because I was a lazy kid who couldn't be bothered to train my Pokemon, yet expected to be able to win. I can't even remember how many times I battled the elite four.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I remember getting lost a lot in RSE. Not exactly difficult, but still an obstacle of sorts.

Years
  • i struggled a bit more with the gen 4 games. it was particularly hard to grind in hgss

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Probably Black and White. Gen 5 remains the generation I know the least about, and it shows in the teams I build. I haven't finished Black yet, but I've always had trouble with Elesa's gym, to the point where I was stuck there for a few weeks until I randomly booted up the game and just...cleared her like she was nothing.

Ominous.

Years
  • The original Black and White. Honorable mentions to Elesa and her emolgas. While I got passed her without taking that much damage, she is kinda annoying, countering all three of the starters and volt switching in and out. I can see why some people see her as the Whitney of gen 5. The Unova gym leader that devastated me however was the sixth gym leader Clay. He softens you up for the kill with his first few pokemon, spreading confusion, speed drops, torment and all kinds of mess throughout the team, then he'll burst jn with that exadrill who sets up in the middle of the chaos with hone claws for the sweep. It was a crushing defeat. I had to do the battle over.

The worst is saved for last. The true horror of BW is defeating that thing below in the end fight with Ghetsis.

Last edited:
    Back