• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen All of a sudden so many people dislike 6th gen?

Years
  • So it seems like in the past month, many people have been coming out of the woodworks saying how bad the 6th gen games and anime are. I'm sure many people have held this opinion before, but none of them have spoken up until recently if that's the case. 6th gen isn't my favourite, I'm just wondering if I'm making this all up or not.
    I don't understand what the sudden problem with the mega evolutions is? they made many previously weak, or unused pokemon into powerful pokemon that we could actually use competitively. And they made already powerful pokemon into even more powerful ones.
    Sometimes I'm not even seeing reasons its just, "XY were so bad, and ORAS could've been way better"
    I swear, I have never heard the XY and XYZ anime get bashed more than it has in the past few weeks. "Ash is so bland, Serena is bland, the show was way too serious to be any good."
    So having Ash be cool and badass for once means he's boring? I don't get what people consider bland. I thought the show being more serious was actually a cool, unique take on the series that we haven't had before.
    Anyways, this is all subjective. No right or wrong. Maybe its just all in my head, or maybe its always been like this and I've just never noticed because I'm an idiot (if so then I'm sorry for even making this post), but I've seen so many people bashing 6th gen recently. And if I'm not making it all up, then why the sudden dislike?

pkmin3033

Again...this is a personal preference thing. But I disagree with you when you say that people are suddenly coming out of nowhere to criticise the sixth generation - the criticisms have been there for years, and plenty of people have had them.

The most obvious and frequently voiced criticism - before the games were even released officially - is the number of Pokemon in the sixth gen. As with every generation, design mileage varies depending on what you like in your Pokemon designs, but the number is generally regarded as an issue in that it was smaller than every other generation prior to that and felt like a step backwards from the fifth generation, which inundated us with an entirely new Pokedex. XY went the other way - it saturated us with old Pokemon and gave us very few new ones; the opposite extreme end of the scale. In some ways that is better, and in others its worse. Quality over quantity? I suppose that depends on what you think of the quality.

X/Y also continued the trend with poor NPC integration and development into a lackluster plot that we'd seen dozens of times over already. I already went into that extensively in another thread so I won't do so again here, other than to say that X/Y were much, much worse with this than either of the fifth generation titles, saddling you with a group of "friends" from the get-go and forcing a good part of the game to go at a snail's pace. The variety of designs in the characters was fantastic...unfortunately, they forgot to give any of them personalities.

A personal one for me is the models replacing the sprites; they look like washed-out plasticine. They're not as vibrant or well-designed as the sprites of the fourth generation, and they in no way push the 3DS to its limits the way the fifth generation's rather disastrous sprites did for the DS. I was very let down by the visuals in the sixth generation games in general...and in light of the seventh generation, this is only more appearent, given the improved character models and more vibrant locales. Combined with the lack of postgame, these felt like beta test titles, rather than full Pokemon experiences. At least to me.

And that lack of a proper postgame is a HUGE issue. So too, in fact, that we haven't had another title revisiting Kalos by this point. I suspect a lot of the complaints come from the fact that the region feels unexplored and unfinished - a stop-gap, if you will, between Unova and Alola. You could forgive the poor quality of XY if the much yearned for Z had been released after ORAS and expanded upon the region, offering a more complete story and some postgame content. Kalos, however, has been abandoned entirely, it seems. This isn't going to sit well with people, especially given the positive reception for Sun and Moon, which are generally regarded as the best Pokemon titles in years. I personally don't agree with that, but...well, look at the sales, amongst other things. These things only serve to highlight just how little thought actually went into XY.

A lot of people complain the games are too easy due to the EXP Share mechanics being changed, but I just don't agree with that. For one, you don't have to use the EXP Share at all. For two, people who make that complaint have been playing Pokemon for years and will know how to manipulate the systems to their advantage. For three, Pokemon has always been easy; these are games that are designed to be played by anyone, so difficulty cannot be a huge factor. Fans have always been capable of providing their own challenge in Pokemon titles, and should know what to expect by now. Granted, B2/W2 had Challenge Mode, but the method of unlocking that was unnecessary convoluted and generally made it impractical for a first run-through, so I wouldn't really use that as a point. But that's just me.

ORAS I found phenomenally disappointing, primarily because I feel that they should have remade Emerald. I played Alpha Sapphire and, improvements in visuals etc. aside, I felt like I was getting half a game. I had this with Ruby and Sapphire, too - in focusing on one evil team, they left the other out entirely, but they were still present and active. Half the plot was missing. Emerald, which incorporated both teams, was a complete experience. A lot of people were annoyed by the lack of customisation in ORAS too, something that was regarded as one of XY's more positive aspects and was generally well received. Removing that was a slap in the face...and, in light of the feature being added back into Sun and Moon, it shows how unnecessary it was to remove it in the first place.

...that said (since I feel I have to be slightly positive) I think the sixth gen titles deserve praise for the simplicity of the online features. B/W/B2/W2 had a terrible online interface, and Sun/Moon have made the entire thing irritatingly and unnecessarily convoluted. X/Y and ORAS had a very simple, easy to navigate touch-screen based menu you could access within minutes. It also introduced fun things like Wonder Trade. The sixth generation also started to make competitive battling and breeding more accessible and less time-consuming with things like Super Training and improved breeding mechanics. A lot of people argue that the old ways were fine, but...options. It's always nice to have options, and a feature dedicated solely to EV training that requires no real instruction to use and is available from the beginning is a pretty good one...and, again, you don't HAVE to use it.

Time changes perspectives and, with Sun and Moon being obscenely popular, I suppose some people have changed their outlook on Gen VI...much the same way people will look back on Gen V or IV and realise they weren't as good as they initially thought. But the criticisms, and the problems, have always been there.

As for the anime...a lot of people are very salty over the way the XY anime ended, and can you really blame them? The anime defied all expectations and buildup by having Ash lose the league to Alain, there was no real resolution with Serena's crush - which in itself was a pretty surprising thing - and the show pulled all kinds of inconsistent crap with Ash-Greninja, etc. The anime failed to deliver on so many levels it was unbelievable and, after the Unova arc was generally frowned upon, it felt like a return to form. At least, that's the sense I've had from it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I definitely did notice that Mega Evolution began receiving a rather negative reception quite some time after XY's release, like a sort of delayed reaction. People were very much enamored by them in the pre-release period and the period following XY's release, but somehow this shift occurred and now there's a vocal group who hope that Megas never make it back into another Pokémon game again. This is a very baffling point to me because I love Mega Evolution and hope to see more new Megas in the future.

As for other complaints, I feel a lot of them are warranted, although they are focused on in kind of the wrong way. It's, like always, a matter of hypocrisies ("XY's post-game was bad, so XY was bad" versus "SM had no post-game but that's perfectly fine"). But I think it's also a matter of age as well.

Gens 1-3, and now 4, are becoming old enough that people are nostalgic and tend to want to conveniently ignore those gens' flaws, or admit their flaws while throwing in the disclaimer: "It's alright because of various limitations at the time." Gen 5 is getting there, but isn't quite old enough, so we still have people who want to nitpick at every little thing and use those small complaints to degrade the entire generation. Gen 6 is even more recent, so there isn't even really nostalgia for people to fall back on.

When games are the newest in a series, they have a "new game hype shield" to protect it: just like people are willing to overlook flaws of older games due to nostalgia, people are also willing to overlook flaws of the newest game(s) because they're just hyped to have a new game. But once the newest game starts to age, and the shield fades away, people are able to see more clearly the positives and negatives of the game.

But like everything else, people generally use any little negative to override the positives while completely ignoring that other gens fall victim to similar shortcomings. SM's plot and characters are just as lackluster as XY's, but because SM has cutscenes every 2 minutes people instinctively believe there's substance there when there's not, making them think XY is somehow way worse when it's really not. People praise SM for introducing the bland concepts of Z-Moves and Alola Forms, but no credit is given to XY for introducing Fairy-Types and Mega Evolution. Just as examples.

So I definitely think a lot of the positivity surrounding gen 6 turned negative due to it aging and people overhyping gen 7. I think ORAS's "new game hype shield" broke a little faster due to there being a very clear set of original games to compare it to (for instance, as many will tell you, the lack of "Emerald post-game" was a huge disappointment), but the dislike for XY was definitely more gradual and it just becomes more apparent as time passes, until 10 or so years from now people will start to feel nostalgic for it and we come full-circle.

If anything, although I'm sure there are people who bash the gen 6 anime as well, the fact that the XY anime was, aside from the ending, so well-received probably allowed XY (and gen 6 as a whole) to be viewed more positively for a longer time.

Years
  • I didn't like XY that much. The story was rushed, there wasn't any more rivals, the game was so easy, and there wasn't much Pokemon introduced.

They're my least favorite Pokemon games. Although ORAS was a pretty good game.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think a lot of people have been expressing their views of the flaws of the 6th generation for some time now, me included, cause there was many. If it was any other Pokemon game, I think people would have made an even bigger deal of it, but because of the switch to the 3DS and the new 3D engine, we kinda understood why there was flaws.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2018
    I felt like XY were poorly balanced, especially when compared to Gen V. The region itself was incredibly bland too...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I also see lots of people bashing gen 6. I just have to say that I LOVE this gen, especially on the anime department.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    It's not "All of a sudden." I, and many of my friends have agreed for years that gen 6 was the worst (Well, X/Y anyways. ORAS was pretty good imo.) However I haven't seen anyone dislike the anime that doesn't dislike it in the first place.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i actually really liked X/Y a lot, it's one of my favorites and i've replayed it time and time again. ORAS was good when i first got it but there wasn't too much to do post game and i find it actually disappointing a bit but, ah well. i still own it and am in the process of trying to replay it. i'm also trying to replay Moon right now and i love it as usual, i doubt that will change but who knows

Years
  • i actually really liked X/Y a lot, it's one of my favorites and i've replayed it time and time again. ORAS was good when i first got it but there wasn't too much to do post game and i find it actually disappointing a bit but, ah well. i still own it and am in the process of trying to replay it. i'm also trying to replay Moon right now and i love it as usual, i doubt that will change but who knows
    Pretty much this. I've dulled on ORAS significantly in time, even if I can still play them. As for XY, despite its shortage of post-game activity, not only do I still do breeding in my main copy of X (mainly for stuff that's not available in Sun/Moon yet, and because I still have my 6 IV Ditto there), but there are so many different Pokémon available in the games and that's what allows me to enjoy repeated playthroughs.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I personally really liked XY, when it comes to pokemon designs they were great and introduced tons of memorable pokemon despite the low amount of them, and I much rather have a small ammount of really great pokemon than a huge amount of terrible ones *coughgen5cough*
    I also think the region itself was beautiful, I still think it's the prettiest region to date, Alola was pretty and all, but the Kalos towns and architecture were outstanding.

That being said they weren't perfect by any means, the pacing was terrible, the characters were awful and the story felt way too rushed, the trainers were also too easy and the postgame felt rather barebones.
    Also Mega evolution, I loved Gen6 but Megas are probably the worst thing to come out of it, didn't like them from the start, grew to dislike them even more as time went on, most of them are really overpowered and put you on a huge disadvantage if you don't use one, and I don't like being forced to pick certain pokemon just because I need to have a Mega. I don't want them to get removed since many people like them, but I would really like if they had a non-mega option in the games...

Megas and story elements aside I still think XY was great though, They are not my favourite but I did enjoy them a lot.

ORAS was rather bland though, it looked good and all, but they didn't feel like the definitive version of the games like FRLG and HGSS did, I still rather play Emerald over them.
    I did love the changes they did to the characters though, they gave them a lot more personality, specially the evil teams and Wally.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • All the hate towards Gen VI (Small roster, Mega Evolutions, Difficulty curve, Fairy types, Story) carried over to Gen VII (replace Megas and Fairies with Z-Moves and no Gyms). It's a case of nostalgia filter from both genwunners and players who first started with Gen III.

SM's plot and characters are just as lackluster as XY's, but because SM has cutscenes every 2 minutes people instinctively believe there's substance there when there's not, making them think XY is somehow way worse when it's really not.

Would you mind give me an example on what makes a good plot with good characters?

Years
  • To me, the main reason behind why X/Y gets so backlash is the bad pacing of the story and many characters being underdeveloped or getting nothing in the spotlight. On the bright side, Kalos does have the largest regional Dex meaning you do have a lot of teambuilding options.

I would replay it one day, but probably not the top priority.

Years
  • If XY had less of a poorly-constructed plot and less of a garbage evil team and had less annoying rivals in addition to decent post-game, then it would've been significantly better. I actually enjoyed playing through XY but these issues made Kalos seem so forgettable to me. It's sad, because sixth gen was an amazing generation features-wise. Things like Super Training, Pokemon Amie, the PSS, and more all made Kalos fun to play through, but the aforementioned issues made playing through Kalos an absolute chore sometimes.

Your statement here definitely sums up 6th Gen in a nutshell - horrible pacing and underwhelming region design, but great features.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    i love xy, but I know why people don't like it. xy brought so many new features to pokemon like amie, wonder trade, trainer customization, etc. Unfortunately it had a weak story line, which I think hurt more than usual because it was coming off of bw/bw2 which fans felt had the strongest story line yet. I remember after the game came out a lot of people were vocal about the weak story and not exactly loving it.

As for mega evolution it was never something I was wild about, but it was okay with me. After playing sm and seeing the use of z moves and how much better of a concept it is, I've had second thoughts about mega evolution. It just seems like such overkill... I don't know exactly how to explain it.

overall i think everyone was very hyped for xy and oras and now that the hype has died and sm has proven to do the sixth gen a one over by use of a good story line it's making the sixth gen look worse.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • I also find it remarkable how many people here seem to be more critical than praiseful about the game.

Right now I am still going through the game (to fill the PokéDex) and I still feel that it's pretty amazing.
    Mainly the new visuals and the greatly improved music are things I liked a lot of X&Y.

Among other things, I did love Pokémon Amie (finally actually spending time with your Pokémon, though I'd still love some sort of Nintendogs version of Pokémon, they got closer in S&M), and I also liked the PSS, character customization, the newly introduced Pokémon, the Fairy-type and Mega Evolutions (which I actually prefer over Z-moves), among things.

Though I also do tend to agree with some of the critics.
    I also think that Team Flare has some pretty lame motives (perhaps because Plasma's motives were much stronger in contrast. IMO, only theirs and Team Rocket's motives were sensible), but in that sense, Team Skull is even worse, because their motives are... well, close to none.

And yeah, the rivals are also underdeveloped. It's more like 'friends on a journey' than actual rivals.
    I do like the quantity, but come on, make me feel interested in battling you. I mean you had to battle three of them at Route 19 but the interest just was not there.

I can't really talk about the pace, I need to re-play the game to judge (or just purchase X?).

An additional minus of the game, which I haven't read here yet: Friend Safari.
    Bad idea to obtain extra Pokémon -where you are depended on your friends- while you could also get them via GTS.

But to me, the cons do not really outweigh the pros, neither with the hype and playthrough of S&M. I still think it is an amazing game, even though it is plot-wise flawed.

Years
  • All the hate towards Gen VI (Small roster, Mega Evolutions, Difficulty curve, Fairy types, Story) carried over to Gen VII (replace Megas and Fairies with Z-Moves and no Gyms). It's a case of nostalgia filter from both genwunners and players who first started with Gen III.

Let's face it, both those generations had good features but they did do a lot of decisions that we thought were like "what the hell were Game Freak thinking" and that's why such divisive opinions were made.

Also, 7th Gen did not replace Fairy-types.

Back