• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen No national dex - your thoughts?

Years
  • The Seventh Generation of main series Pok?mon games lack a national dex -- instead, you're considered at 100% dex completion when you have caught all Pok?mon in the Alola dex. This dex is less than half or around half (depending on whether you're playing Sun/Moon or Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon) the size of the total number of Pok?mon in existence as of generation VII. Some people liked this change since it meant much less work to obtain a Shiny Charm, while others would have still preferred a national dex for the collecting aspect.

What did you think?

Years
  • The lack of a National Dex never really bothered me much -- if at all -- mostly because it made completing the Pokedex so much easier for someone like me who doesn't have an excess amount of free time on their hands. I always looked upon others who have completed the National Dex in previous generations with envy because that must've taken some serious dedication and time to transfer a lot of those Pokemon from one generation to another etc all for the sake of completion.

With how small the Alola Dex is, I completed it in like three days tops. I felt so happy that I finally compeleted a Pokedex for the first time in a Pokemon game, even if it isn't a National Dex.

Years
  • I personally think it's quite odd for them not to include it. If the reason was to make the Shiny Charm easier to obtain then there is no reason they couldn't have merely changed the criteria to only complete the Alola dex anyway while still keeping the National Dex as part of the game.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Imagine someone actually being glad the National Dex wasn't included.

Especially when Rotom Dex has better entries than the other Dexes.

Darkpoké0011

User of the Dark-Type
    Years
  • The lack of a National Dex irks me so much! In Gen VI I'm determined to register every (or as many as possible) Pok?mon, and this shows me what's still left to find. In Gen VII, Non-Alola Dex pokemon are treated almost as not part of the game but an 'extra' with catching them all limited to just needing to catch certain species. This is one reason I've played (and play) Gen VI considerably more than Gen VII.

Last edited:

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
    Years
  • For someone who likes their games to be large in scope (especially Pokemon), I found the lack of a National Dex a bit disappointing.

It's one thing to acquire the National Dex late in the game (e.g. post Elite Four), since you will most likely not be too concerned in completing the Pokedex until after you beat the Elite Four & having access to battle facilities. It's whole other matter when you eliminate it all together, and slot it as merely another feature in an application that exist outside the games.

One could make the argument by moving the National Dex into the PokeBank, this solidifies the PokeBank is a feature for all Pokemon games across the board that have access to the app, and removes a certain barrier of entry from completing the National Dex via exclusive Event Pokemon.

However, I think this sets a precedent that each of the games are not as strong (single-player) entries of each series, and merely an extension of the PokeBank. Also, I could be sympathetic to an argument that proposes that achieving all entries of a PokeDex in a game to not be as rewarding with a National Dex present.

For myself, I see achieving the National Dex as more a secondary factor in the games---a bonus, if you will. Nonetheless, I am still not a fan of having this feature removed, as I see the idea of having a (National) PokeDex to be a core feature of the series.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I was disappointed. As mentioned already, the dex entries were pretty great this gen, so not seeing more of those was a loss. (On the flip side, maybe they got better because there were less to make...?)

But it also just felt off. Every other main game had it, so why not this one? And sure, it made getting the Shiny Charm easier - but why not just have that be the reward for the Alolan dex and give something else for completing the National Dex?

Years
  • While it was a bit of a disappointment that a National Dex was absent, it wasn't so bad since at least that meant I could complete the region's dex, then move on to other things. Only bothersome aspect is the fact that sorting Pok?mon in national numerical order is now an absolute chore.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    I do wish it was there. It would make it easier to see which pokemon you do and don't have, in regards to non-alola pokemon.

It's probably not as big of a deal for people that don't really want to collect pokemon, but I remember really enjoying trying to complete my pokedex in ORAS.

Back