• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The community still lives :D

Kubes

Kubes
Years
  • I had originally started attempting to modify Pokemon ROMs about 12 years ago... And it makes me very happy to see this community still kicking!
    (My old account: Smileman "/member.php?u=90690")

I am so excited to see new methods and tools to bring these wonderful games new life. I am now a programmer and have most of my experience in the context of video games (though, in Unity/Unreal engine).

I look forward to meeting those active in the community.

So much has come of this community and the works I have seen lately are so impressive! The idea of decompilation roms just has me baffled, I never would have expected something like that to become available.

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I hear ya man. Been off and on here for about 10 years and it excites me what they've been doing with Gen 3. I'm an old man still working on JPAN's rom but very happy about the new blood of Hackers that have come throught

Kubes

Kubes
    Years
  • Just getting into working with the disassembled ROM myself, very exciting!
    If anyone knows any good references for working with this in C, it would be greatly appreciated!
    I wanted to initially only use PoryScript, but I've found myself tempted with C, but am not finding many resources.
    Right now, I am trying to get a custom special function that takes a byte as a parameter working. So far I have it compiling (when not referenced in a script)... now onto the working part :P

Spoiler:

Edit: Wanted to shout out WiserVisor and Avara for their posts which have helped me so far!

Last edited:

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • Even though 3rd gen romhacking scene isn't as active as it was 10-15 years ago, there is still plenty of people interested on this hobby, and thanks to decomps I don't see how romhacking will die anytime soon. So welcome back to the community!

Outwitter

You reap what you plant...
    Years
  • Rom Hackers do move on with life but just like principles of natural succession, new hackers will take former's place. In my opinion, a rom hack is a person's personal take on Pokémon. So as long as there is LOVE for Pokémon, rom hacking will survive!

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
    Years
  • I tried investing my time with hacking four years ago and while learning was really fun, it's quite the challenge because of the inevitable pressure that you'll get. I think it's natural as pretty much everyone started like this so I don't think you only had one shot to make it to the scene but it's quite the grind especially if you decided to do hacking as your hobby. That's the case for me as I immediately stop after learning it for 10 months lol but with its state right now, maybe I can see myself getting invested again.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2022
    I tried investing my time with hacking four years ago and while learning was really fun, it's quite the challenge because of the inevitable pressure that you'll get. I think it's natural as pretty much everyone started like this so I don't think you only had one shot to make it to the scene but it's quite the grind especially if you decided to do hacking as your hobby. That's the case for me as I immediately stop after learning it for 10 months lol but with its state right now, maybe I can see myself getting invested again.

I also stopped hacking a few months ago. But, suddenly [idk the reason which sparked my intersest]
    some day before i started hacking but this time with my interest towards coding and gaming stuff.
    i am still on the way to my bream game.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2021
    Greetings! Although I'm new, I will also contribute to the revitalization of the forum ;)

PokemonCoders

Gotta Cheat em All
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    ROM Hacking is still alive and well. In fact, more gamers are now been playing ROM hacks especially on their mobile devices.
    Welcome @Low End Gaming

Years
  • Taking a peek at the Pokemon ROM Hacks subreddit I see so many innovations recently, especially NDS hacking taking leaps and bounds forward!

So glad to see this community still alive and kicking, and growing somehow even. Partly the reason why Pokemon will live on forever; the fanbase is nuts.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • While working on my own personal ROM Hack that will probably never be done (because I keep thinking of crap to add to it lol), I often will create some crazy ASM thing because I wanted it and nobody else made it yet. If I think it might be useful to somebody else (which is often 'cause you never know), I'll post it here.

Considering I will still occasionally get likes on a post I made like a year ago, clearly somebody out there is using it. So that makes me happy that the thing I spent forever on for myself was helpful to someone else too. So I'd say ROM Hacking (particularly ASM/binary hacking) is definitely not dead. Although, I'll be doing ASM stuff forever probably because I personally find it fun. I don't care if I'm the only one doing it lol, but it is kinda nice to know there are other people doing it still.

Back