• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Queen Elizabeth II has died

Years
  • On one hand, peaceful protesting isn't against the law (iirc? It isn't here but idk about the UK) and I think arresting and charging someone for that is excessive. I don't believe status should make one immune to any sort of criticism especially since she wasn't doing anything but holding a sign.

On the other, it comes off as callous right after the queen's death. I think it should be saved for the coronation.

EDIT: Also, a reminder to keep things civil. You can express your dislike without being overly rude about it as we do have people here who are saddened by this. Please keep this in mind, ty!

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Aaaaand in connection with these news, what I feared would happen after the Queen's death is happening.

The police have apparently been given power to arrest dissenters to Charles's coronation and pro-republic activists during the funeral procession. I do think the 10 days of mourning before the funeral are a little excessive and ridiculous already, but this is alarming too, on top of everything else mentioned in this thread. I do fear dissent towards the monarchy will be cracked down on even harder than when the Queen was alive, especially considering Charles seems to be rather unpopular with the people, and this gives me proof that it's not unfounded.

The worst thing is, the Tories recently passed a bill that essentially gives the police the power to end any protest that can "annoy the local population". It's designed for climate protesters who like to glue themselves to places and stop roads, or trains, or simply be as annoying as possible so that the media focuses on them. But the wording is so generic as to make it possible to arrest people if they feel that someone who supports X Thing That Is Being Protested Against would get sad if they were to find out that someone is protesting it.

Another thing I was thinking: Now that Charles is king, will he have namesakes? Like the biggest hospital here is called the Queen Elizabeth II, or QEII for short.

I mean, it's 100% guaranteed that in the coming years, something (a hospital, a school, a bridge, a gym, whatever) will be inaugurated as The King Charles III Something. It's just how countries work. Off the top of my head, there already are a pool and a train station named after Joe Biden.

Years
  • The worst thing is, the Tories recently passed a bill that essentially gives the police the power to end any protest that can "annoy the local population". It's designed for climate protesters who like to glue themselves to places and stop roads, or trains, or simply be as annoying as possible so that the media focuses on them. But the wording is so generic as to make it possible to arrest people if they feel that someone who supports X Thing That Is Being Protested Against would get sad if they were to find out that someone is protesting it.

I feel like this essentially makes protesting illegal? This law is so vague that it would just come down to an officer's opinion which I don't think is right. I mean, one person could think a protester is "being annoying" and their partner could say "not really." then what?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I feel like this essentially makes protesting illegal? This law is so vague that it would just come down to an officer's opinion which I don't think is right. I mean, one person could think a protester is "being annoying" and their partner could say "not really." then what?

To be precise, the wording bans "making noise", "blocking the access to transports, places of worship, schools, food shops, banks (long list of mostly 'necessary' places)", "obstructing the delivery of necessary goods" or "the intimidation or harassment of persons of reasonable firmness with the characteristics of persons likely to be in the vicinity, or causing such persons to suffer alarm or distress". The "making noise" part is grotesquely vague and can essentially lead the police to disband any protest in which people chant slogans or play music. But these people have been arrested on "suspicion of behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress". So yeah, apparently saying "I don't like having a king" around pro-monarchists can cause them distress as they will find out that someone disagrees with them and be sad :(((((

And answering your question, the key here is what the police believes will annoy people. If nobody is annoyed but a policeman thinks someone could possibly be annoyed, to jail you go!

Years
  • That creates room for bias and favoritism. Not to mention everyone in the UK will have a criminal record by this time next year.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • To be precise, the wording bans "making noise", "blocking the access to transports, places of worship, schools, food shops, banks (long list of mostly 'necessary' places)", "obstructing the delivery of necessary goods" or "the intimidation or harassment of persons of reasonable firmness with the characteristics of persons likely to be in the vicinity, or causing such persons to suffer alarm or distress". The "making noise" part is grotesquely vague and can essentially lead the police to disband any protest in which people chant slogans or play music. But these people have been arrested on "suspicion of behaviour likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress". So yeah, apparently saying "I don't like having a king" around pro-monarchists can cause them distress as they will find out that someone disagrees with them and be sad :(((((

And answering your question, the key here is what the police believes will annoy people. If nobody is annoyed but a policeman thinks someone could possibly be annoyed, to jail you go!

Yikes. I... didn't think we were this close to V for Vendetta happening for real in the UK. For real, this sets a dangerous precedent, and I believe it's only likely that loss of freedom of the press or worse might follow if they're already curtailing the right to protest.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • As Ivysaur said, protesting is pretty much illegal here now. One man got arrested for asking "who elected him?" during the ascension of King Charles.

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • Abolish the Monarchy
    Rest in Piss.
    Reading through the replies I don't feel I can say too much without being hated, so I'll refrain for now.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I'd rather not post my opinion of the royals but I'll say this - it's so wild to see people queuing up for 16-24 hours just to see her lying in state. Parasocial relationships are something else.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I'd rather not post my opinion of the royals but I'll say this - it's so wild to see people queuing up for 16-24 hours just to see her lying in state. Parasocial relationships are something else.
    It's both fascinating and scary at the same time.

I actually saw the Queen in person about 16 years ago as she was visiting a community centre near my house, so it was about a 2 minute walk away. However, I only waited in a crowd for about 10 minutes and I only went so I could say this now, and I suspect many people are going just so they can tell other people that "I was there" and post it on social media.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Now's looking like a great time for Arthur to wake up

To be honest, I feel that we're closer than ever to the end of the English monarchy.

I'll admit that I usually frequent more left leaning spaces so there is a bias, but I think that the general reaction from younger people is that of general anger or distaste towards the monarchy (which fair, the British monarchy as whole has a terrible, terrible record and the late queen herself has done a bunch of ... unsavoury things to say the least), I don't think Charles was ever popular?

Like, if anything from what I gathered as a non-UK person there was a bit of a joke was that even Lizzie didn't like him, so, yeah.

Combine that with recent-ish revelations about the sexual crimes commited by some members of the royal family, the fact that the day of morning (or maybe the period of morning) did things like closing food banks, grocery stores and a bunch of other important things. I genuinely do feel that if there's ever a time for the UK to get rid of the monarchy, it's now.

Years
  • How would they go about doing so? /gen
    Because I think my country is discussing monarchy things too.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • Now's looking like a great time for Arthur to wake up

To be honest, I feel that we're closer than ever to the end of the English monarchy.

I'll admit that I usually frequent more left leaning spaces so there is a bias, but I think that the general reaction from younger people is that of general anger or distaste towards the monarchy (which fair, the British monarchy as whole has a terrible, terrible record and the late queen herself has done a bunch of ... unsavoury things to say the least), I don't think Charles was ever popular?

Like, if anything from what I gathered as a non-UK person there was a bit of a joke was that even Lizzie didn't like him, so, yeah.

Combine that with recent-ish revelations about the sexual crimes commited by some members of the royal family, the fact that the day of morning (or maybe the period of morning) did things like closing food banks, grocery stores and a bunch of other important things. I genuinely do feel that if there's ever a time for the UK to get rid of the monarchy, it's now.
    I think so too - and King Charles certainly won't be as popular as Queen Elizabeth.

We're also seeing Commonwealth nations ditch the monarchy like Barbados, so it's entirely possible that King Charles will be the last monarch.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    It's both fascinating and scary at the same time.
    And I thought kpop stans were wild for queuing up to 12 hours for a 3 hour concert.

Some of which include long awaited surgeries/treatments for some people.

Years
  • Cancelling needed surgeries and services is just cruel. There's nothing wrong with mourning but it shouldn't interfere with life saving/altering procedures.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Apparently they also cancelled other funeral arrangements and that's just sick. People have a right to grieve their loved ones that have passed away, delaying the time might cause a lot of logistical and financial trouble for a lot of people in an already emotionally troubling time.

That was just a terrible decision all around.

Back