• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

y'know we teach our kids some messed up shit

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    so my work often has me at an elementary school, and you come across those old kid's stories and shit

and now that I'm older, I realized that we're showing them some fucked up shit

Like in one of the music rooms there was a sheet for that one song that goes "it's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring. He went to bed and bumped his head and couldn't get up in the morning"

and idk about you, but that kinda sounds to me like the old suffered a concussion and then died from it

or take Goldilocks and the 3 Bears

ya know what that really is? It's the story of a girl doin' a fuckin' B & E

why the fuck do we show kids this stuff?

Or maybe I'm just thinking more than I have to about this stuff but when you're doing shit like vacuuming floors and scrubbing toilets your mind wanders

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2017
    I'm suddenly reminded of Philip Larkin's "This be the Verse" poem...

Spoiler:

Most fairytales in their original and entire forms are actually far, FAR darker than the versions you'll find in children's books these days. I always thought it was to quietly and subtly introduce children to the harsher reality of life or something like that, although yeah, the older you get, the more disturbing these things seem to become...

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • OP is trying too hard to be philosophical. These are innocuous songs that could only be seen as dark with more effort than we expect of the kids listening to them. Any darkness you could squeeze out of those songs is nothing compared to the largely unregulated realm of fucking filth and garbage they stroll across on social media.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    OP is trying too hard to be philosophical.
    More like I should've just gone to sleep when I got home last night instead of posting on PC

These are innocuous songs that could only be seen as dark with more effort than we expect of the kids listening to them. Any darkness you could squeeze out of those songs is nothing compared to the largely unregulated realm of fucking filth and garbage they stroll across on social media.
    tho you're not exactly wrong here

User19sq

Unless we get the kids to start singing some f*cking Metallica, the archaic stuff stays. Seriously, try coming up with royalty-free nursery rhymes that elementary schools will want to adopt. Of course, the professional musicians ain't gonna do that, as they're to busy writing songs about break-ups, pineapple pens, and how you know what to do wit dat big, fat butt.

Years
  • Let us all take a moment to remember that Sleeping Beauty used to have a lot more necrophilia in it. We've been fucking our kids up for millennia and it seems to be working out mostly okay, why stop now?

Back