• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ready to Brawl! Super Smash Brothers Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
It seems like the fandom is throwing ideas for playable characters at the future Smash game.

However...let's look at this hypothetically. Which of the new characters introduced in Smash 4 do you think won't make it to the next game? (if there would be a new game introduced in a couple years?)

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
It's kinda hard to tell who's gonna be kept and who's not. Cuz like there wasn't a Kid Icarus game for more than a decade and then they suddenly decided to put Pit into Brawl and now we have 3 Kid Icarus characters and at least Pit is probably here to stay. Then you have Dr. Mario, who was in Melee, cut from Brawl, then brought back in Smash 4.

But the most likely characters to get the boot in the next game are probably the 3rd party characters (Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man), because I don't think that a 3rd party character has ever lasted more than one game. And I kinda get the feeling that Robin and Lucina won't make it into the next game. I suppose it's a bit early to tell since Fire Emblem has gained a lot of popularity in the Western world in recent years and a lot of that had to do with Awakening, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fire Emblem is gonna always be represented by Marth+Ike+1, maybe 2 characters from the most recent FE game. I'd really prefer it if Marth was dropped and Robin was made a permanent roster member, but that's probably not the most likely scenario.....

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Keep in mind that the only characters who are in actual danger of getting cut are clones and third-party reps (only reason Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer were cut were due to the 3DS' limitations). Pokemon is a tricky question, because they seem to be having a six-party team theme going on since Brawl, which had Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, and Jigglypuff. Smash 4 now has Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Greninja, and Mewtwo, so in order to make room for a newer gen Pokemon, one of them has to go, which is most likely Greninja, because we already have Sheik as our ninja fighter.

But the most likely characters to get the boot in the next game are probably the 3rd party characters (Shulk, Pac-Man, Mega Man), because I don't think that a 3rd party character has ever lasted more than one game.
Shulk is a first-party character; therefore, he is safe. The only third-party rep I see getting the cut is Pac-Man, assuming if the next game isn't developed by Bandai Namco. Sonic has appeared in Smash twice now, so why not have Mega Man stay a little longer as well? As for Snake, with recent news of Kojima leaving Konami after MGSV, getting him back would be more difficult than before, since it was all Kojima's idea to add Snake in Smash to begin with.

And I kinda get the feeling that Robin and Lucina won't make it into the next game. I suppose it's a bit early to tell since Fire Emblem has gained a lot of popularity in the Western world in recent years and a lot of that had to do with Awakening, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fire Emblem is gonna always be represented by Marth+Ike+1, maybe 2 characters from the most recent FE game. I'd really prefer it if Marth was dropped and Robin was made a permanent roster member, but that's probably not the most likely scenario.....
Lucina is most likely the one getting the boot to make way for a newcomer from the most recent title. Robin will be here to stay, because he represents a now staple feature in the series, which is the avatar.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Oh yeah I keep forgetting that Shulk's actually first party.....I do hope that you're right about Robin, but if the avatar is a staple in FE now, wouldn't that mean that they could just replace her with whoever the next avatar character is, and keep doing that as the two series go on? Not that I'd want them to do that, I like Robin

Years
Who says they will HAVE to drop characters, Surly its better for fans that all characters remain in play.

[FONT=&quot] Maybe in the future they could have theme packs as DLC where you can buy more characters from a given series i.e a pokemon pack or Fire Emblem Pack. [/FONT]

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Who says they will HAVE to drop characters, Surly its better for fans that all characters remain in play.
It's because of balance issues. Let's look at the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Up until 2, the roster was fairly balanced due to how small it is.

[FONT=&quot] Maybe in the future they could have theme packs as DLC where you can buy more characters from a given series i.e a pokemon pack or Fire Emblem Pack. [/FONT]

I really doubt they would do something like that for Smash, because it takes months to fully finish a single character, so making more than one for a themed pack would take a year to make. Let's not forget how sick and exhausted Sakurai is after three years of making this game.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's inevitable. There's no way around it, practically every fighting game sequel (that doesn't just port everything) cuts characters because a single character takes a lot of dev time and there's pretty much no way you can get every character done in time of release. Mewtwo wasn't done in release but had some done work so he's gonna be DLC, Bowser Jr was nearly going to be cut as well because of time constraints. Wolf and Lucas got cut because of time constraints, no doubt. Sakurai confirmed they dropped characters because of that. Developing a game isn't easy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Tomorrow's the last day to register both versions to get Mewtwo from Club Nintendo, and Wave 4 amiibos are coming to the U.S. April 24th. Unfortunately, the pre-orders still aren't available yet.

Years
Smash bros. club? Count me in.

Username: Deceptio
Character Select: Charizard
What was your first Smash game?: My first Smash Bros. was melee. But I still think Sm4sh tops it easily.

Welcome! I'll add you right now!!

I seriously wonder who would be cut in the next game, I /would/ hope it's clone characters...but with the way some games have gained hype, I don't think some are plausible. Gardevoir has a point with DLC. I think they may go that route for older characters to make a return while giving limelight to whatever the future roster would be

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Talk about unexpected turn of events. Not only is Lucas coming back alongside of Mewtwo, we're also getting an official character request ballot. Time for me to request for King K. Rool.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
So Lucas is gonna be a DLC character?

I can imagine the huge amount of fighting and bitching that could occur over the character request thing though. Dunno who I'd like to request though.....

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I'm still going to pre-order just Ness, Lucina, and Robin, since Jigglypuff and Greninja will be common due to Pokémon's popularity.

As for the character requests, I am also undecided on who I would like to request.
Join the Kutthroats, vote for King K. Rool. Here's a list of characters we should be trying to vote:

Wolf (veteran, more villain reps)
King K. Rool (more DK reps, more villain reps)
Dixie Kong (more DK reps)
Impa (veteran Zelda character)
Bandana Dee (becoming more prominent in the Kirby games since Super Star Ultra)
Issac (Assist trophy is absent)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Welp, Lucina and Robin are sold out before I had the chance to order them, and I know who to blame. At least I got Ness pre-ordered, along with Pac-Man.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I'm seriously glad Lucas is coming back as a DLC, I was hoping he would return at least to the 3DS/WiiU version as a downloadable. It sucked to see that he got axed out in the first place.

I wanna see Wolf back. he was pretty good in Brawl.

Also Pinkie, just because Jigglypuff and Greninja are Pokemon doesn't mean they're going to sell out easily. You'd be surprised they'll still be in stock somewhere online. xD

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Also Pinkie, just because Jigglypuff and Greninja are Pokemon doesn't mean they're going to sell out easily. You'd be surprised they'll still be in stock somewhere online. xD
No kidding, Jigglypuff was announced as a Target exclusive and sold out fast, and Greninja was announced as a Toys R Us exclusive. If there's anything we've learned about Wave 3, the retail exclusives are the rarest to find. Even worse is that there are no plans to restock certain ones, so we're force to either import them from Japan, which aren't region-lock, or buy them from scalpers.

Anyway, /r/ smashbros has made two separate tier lists (one with customs on, and one with customs off). Here's the list with customs off:

Spoiler:

And here's the list with customs on:

Spoiler:

Minor changes in top tiers, but the rest are completely different story.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
So I saw this. http://i.imgur.com/3ifWOCo.jpg

I have no idea wether or not it's official and I'm too lazy to check the Smash site to check. (I know I'm terrible) But I'm assuming it isn't actually official considering Abe Lincoln is on there.

Regardless what is everyone opinion on this list? Which characters on here do you think are the most viable and what move sets do you think your picks could have?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'm pretty sure that none of the 3rd party characters would make it. Pretty sure that Sakurai doesn't want any more 3rd party characters atm. Midna, Waluigi, and Ghirahim are all assist trophies, so they're out too. Ridley is Pyrosphere's hazard/boss, so he's not happening either. I kinda doubt that we're getting more Pokemon characters either, since with Mewtwo coming back, Pokemon has 6 reps, which is the same number as Mario, the most represented franchise in the roster. Who knows what Nintendo's gonna do though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back