• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So...Pokemon Contests. Did you do them?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • Excitement_gauge1.jpg

This idea came to me after getting back into Platinum and deciding to do the Contests so I could get a star on my card. But anyway...

Contests. The other mode of Pokemon, separate to battling, exclusive to Hoenn and Sinnoh. Instead of pitting your Pokemon in battle against each other, you'd have them compete against three other Pokemon in categories that befit what basically amounted to the style of your Pokemon. You could enter them into five categories: Cool, Beauty, Cute, Clever (originally Smart) and Tough, and required a special type of training that focused on maxing out these stats.

Did you ever pay attention to Pokemon Contests? Or just throw them away as a distraction that didn't affect your adventure?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I did partake in Pokemon Contests. I really wanted to get five paintings in Lilycove Museum just for the Trainer Star on my card. Master Contests, though... let me tell you, they are frustrating, god. Platinum made it easier to do them & win, but if your contest stats suck, you won't win a Master Rank contest.

tbh, I really want contests to come back tho in a newer Pokemon game, but tbh we won't outside of d/p/pt remakes, rip.

Years
  • Gen 3 Pokemon contests were the last time I took part in them. Ever since then... they've really become less interesting. .__.

Haven't tried the ORAS one to notice whether or not it's an actual improvement over the originals, though. I think by then I pretty much lost all interest in doing contests again.

Years
  • I think I managed to win 2 Master Rank contests on Sapphire, and after that, I was kind of bored with them. If they were a little more important like the anime makes them out to be, or maybe if they had more of a sense of accomplishment like you get from Gym battles, then maybe I would've been more into them.

Contests did bring about the Berry Blender mini-game though, which to date is still one of my favorite mini-games in the entire series.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I absolutely adored Contests in Gen 3! I used my Milotic to win the Master Rank Beauty Contest, and Aggron for Master Rank Tough. I couldn't seem to get very far in Cool or Smart, though, probably using the wrong Pokemon... and none of my party really fit for the Cute Contest. Also using the Berry Blender was strangely addictive.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I did participle in contests for completion's sake, and even had some fun while doing it! But they quickly became rather boring and I've yet to return to them.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Gen 3 Pokemon contests were the last time I took part in them. Ever since then... they've really become less interesting. .__.

Haven't tried the ORAS one to notice whether or not it's an actual improvement over the originals, though. I think by then I pretty much lost all interest in doing contests again.
    Yeah, I tried them out in Hoenn gen 3 but I never really understood really how to do them well ahah. They seemed so random and not really satisfying for me. I never tried them out at all in any later games, I think o: maybe I should?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i actually had pokemon i specifically bred and raised for contests in gen III so yeah, i was super into it. i only got master rank in beauty and cute, though. never could manage to get the other three. i remember tough contest being the most brutal of them all for some reason. wasn't super into the contests in DPPt, though. and ORAS was eh. it felt too easy there compared to the original.

User Anon 1848

Yes. I think I won all the contests for the beauty and tough categories with my Blaziken even though I never fully understood the mechanics. I'm starting to miss Emerald more and more as time goes on.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I participated in tons of contests! When I was younger I used to love pretending I was Dawn from the anime, I really hope they're brought back and developed more in future games!

Years
  • I completed all contests in Sapphire, but I had no idea what to do as I had German version of the game and didn't understand it. But somehow I won all of them. I think I've used either Swampert or Linoone.

I didn't touch contests in Sinnoh, so can't talk about them, but I returned to them in Alpha Sapphire, where I've used contest Pikachu to beat all of them. Which was quite easy tbh. I should've used one of my Pokémon.

They could return in the next games. It would be great side activity.

Years
  • Yes, but a loooot more in RSE. Contests were my absolute favorite thing next to secret bases and I had sooo much fun competing against friends. ORAS's version was also good, but I wasn't as captivated with the updated version as I was with the originals.

tho I do love the contest hall music in the remakes <3

Last edited:
    Back