• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Daily Chit-Chat (Extra Festive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Been a while since I've been on this website, anticipating the release of the new games and whether to get a switch or not

Having 4 dogs is.. something else when you're in charge of the garden

depending on the type of games that you're into, imo. if you're more of an RPG/JRPG person, octopath traveler is an excellent game to get into on the switch, and there's also hollow knight (not an rpg but i think it's a fun-looking sidescroller that im planning to get into myself) and also okami (if you like zelda, you should get into this).

i think month by month there's more and more convincing reason to get a switch if you're more of the type of person that plays stuff other than pokemon.

Sean

Years
depending on the type of games that you're into, imo. if you're more of an RPG/JRPG person, octopath traveler is an excellent game to get into on the switch, and there's also hollow knight (not an rpg but i think it's a fun-looking sidescroller that im planning to get into myself) and also okami (if you like zelda, you should get into this).

i think month by month there's more and more convincing reason to get a switch if you're more of the type of person that plays stuff other than pokemon.

Oh yeah definitely, I play a lot of stuff external to pokemon now (would argue that pokemon is actually not a priority these days but obv still love it)

Just depends if I wanna actually drop money on it or not. Sure I'll see once I get a job and stuff, just finished my postgrad so theres that

Years
I mean BotW is a pretty stellar game, too. Get one!

I say this and I probably haven't picked up my switch in a few months. I've just been s busy.

Also yay first post in the new DCC!

Years
i havent actually played botw in months because i thought everyone got tired of it

regardless though, i agree that it's an amazing game. from what i hear, it's especially the case once you get the DLC.

i feel like my switch now gets more attention than my ps4 which is kind of interesting considering that a month or two ago it was the other way around lmao

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I actually hated BOTW, putting me in the minority as usual.

I've been playing my Switch a lot over the last few months, though. With MHGU out tomorrow it's probably going to stay that way for some time, too...don't expect to see me too much after today. xD

It is by no means living up to its potential but it's still a nice system nonetheless, with something for...most people.

Last edited:
Years
Honestly BOTW could've been the best Zelda title for me if they fleshed the story out more. The open world & game mechanics were top notch imo.

I think I'm just disappointed by the upcoming online services. I mean...I'd much rather just buy whatever title I want than have a library that randomly changes. [from what I've heard they're going to try a Netflix style library??]

Who knows - the second half of September is close and we still don't know that much.

also hi I'm a mod here now

pkmin3033

It just...lacked too much, to feel like a proper Zelda title, or even an enjoyable video game, for me. Weapon durability was infuriating and restrictive, the world was miserably empty despite how impressive it was, and the lack of noteworthy music was criminal. But then, I don't get on with open world games generally, and I was fine with the classic Zelda formula.

Whatever Nintendo are going to do with it, they need to do it quickly...they can't expect people to just be OK with not having access to these games in some cheap, easily accessible form. If they're going to try and take down ROM sites as they have been, they need to provide a viable alternative. On their already existing console. These classic minis...ugh...no. They do need to do better than the drip feed approach they took with the VC in the past, but expecting people to be OK with rentals of NES titles with a few tweaks...yeah, no. They need to use those profits to buy themselves a clue ._.

I play my Switch a lot and I enjoy it, but thinking about Nintendo depresses me...

Years
Weapon durability is annoying but I understand why it was implemented. The whole point of the game is Link trying to essentially survive in the wilderness as he travels from town to town trying to free the Divine Beasts and ultimately trying to defeat Ganon. It wouldn't be a wilderness survival Zelda game if it didn't try its best to simulate exactly that.

Although the fact that it's possible for the Master Sword to break is eyebrow-raising, but whatever.

My biggest critiicsm is that I do agree that the open-world atmosphere isn't utilized to its fullest potential. Personally, I wish there was more towns than there was. I suppose the stables were put in to somewhat make up for this, but at the same time, they don't. So unfortunately I agree that there's mostly empty space, but in all fairness, that empty space is taken up by beautiful scenery, so I really can't be upset about it.

And tbh I'm not really sure what to feel or what to expect when it comes to Nintendo's online services. And I'd rather keep it that way. I want to see what Nintendo has up their sleeves and then come to a proper judgment afterwards rather than jumping to conclusions based on super vague/incomplete information.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Breaking after 2-3 hits is realistic? Really? I'd buy that if the swords were rusted through with age, but not all of them were, and they still broke absurdly quickly. I'd accept that for sticks and whatnot, but tempered metal is a little more durable than that...

After a while I avoided all enemy encounters, because I didn't get anything noteworthy from combat, and I needed to save my better weapons for moments that would actually matter. It actively encouraged me to NOT play the game, which I don't think any game, survival simulator or not, should ever do. Given that enemy encounters were few and far between it didn't really simulate stealth either, because it was easy to avoid mobs.

They really should not have hidden everything worthy of note in the shrines. If they'd have bothered to scatter heart pieces and whatnot over the world, it wouldn't have seemed quite so empty and would have been worth exploring. As it was, it felt a great deal like Shadow of the Colossus - go from landmark to landmark, because the landmarks are the only place where there is actually anything to do, unless you like finding Koroks which ultimately reward you with nothing you really need.

Coming off A Link Between Worlds, which actively changed the traditional formula by allowing you to rent items to do dungeons in whatever order you fancied, it felt more like a step backwards to me.

That said, I haven't played the DLC. I do have the season pass, but I'm not particularly motivated to play it again just yet...time might soften my view of it, but it's going to need more time than a year and a half. xD

Last edited:

Sean

Years
All I can say about Nintendos online services is why on earth is Mario Party not multi-online player yet. Good grief Nintendo be losing out since 2008 on a huuuuge potential + to the games.

But alas. Cannot have everything you desire.

Years
the korok seeds that the koroks give you are actually incredibly useful for upgrading your inventory space. it's really useful if you want to hoard weapons and save some for later use or whatever; the same applies to shields and bows.

pkmin3033

There is no real rhyme or reason to a lot of Nintendo's choices in a lot of things...sometimes it seems like they really don't give a damn about their audience after they've bought the console. They're just not as obnoxious about it. But the Switch lacks so many things it should have: proper voice chat, themes, legacy content, etc.

...on another note, I have the worst headache (again) right now and should probably do something else >.>

Years
There is no real rhyme or reason to a lot of Nintendo's choices in a lot of things...sometimes it seems like they really don't give a damn about their audience after they've bought the console. They're just not as obnoxious about it. But the Switch lacks so many things it should have: proper voice chat, themes, legacy content, etc.

what it's missing the most is iconic music equivalent to that of the wii shop channel

i wonder if nintendo can even top that

Years
Breaking after 2-3 hits is realistic? Really? I'd buy that if the swords were rusted through with age, but not all of them were, and they still broke absurdly quickly. I'd accept that for sticks and whatnot, but tempered metal is a little more durable than that...

After a while I avoided all enemy encounters, because I didn't get anything noteworthy from combat, and I needed to save my better weapons for moments that would actually matter. It actively encouraged me to NOT play the game, which I don't think any game, survival simulator or not, should ever do. Given that enemy encounters were few and far between it didn't really simulate stealth either, because it was easy to avoid mobs.
I definitely understand where you're coming from for sure bc I felt the same way at first. I tried hoarding all of my weapons bc I was worried about "well what if I need it in a more important moment?!?!"... but I realized that most weapons are easily replaceable. Any/all will respawn at the original place you got it, normally.

How's everyone's day going?

pkmin3033

I have tomorrow off, and a copy of MHGU. Maybe I should post in the leaving thread. idk if I'm going to have time for much else. xD

Years
I wish I had tomorrow off.

...then again, yesterday WAS a half day from work for me. But I didn't get to relax bc I was moving. At least labor day is coming up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back